Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 7:29:51 PM EDT
My washing machine just crapped out on me. Its been going down hill for a couple years and has been making a really loud noise when it spins, and then tonight it started leaking all over the place and was barely spinning.

As I start my search for a new washing machine, which one would you guys recommend? I would like to keep it around $500, but I don't want a crap one and I really have no idea what kind of prices we are looking at here.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Whirlpool. They change the look from time to time but under the hood they are all the same. Easy to fix if needed and easy to get parts for.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Speed Queen, fuck all that faggot electronic BS.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Speed Queen, fuck all that faggot electronic BS.
View Quote

This X10!

Speed Queen residential machines have the same guts as the commercial machines. Solid state electronics. When I bought mine, I asked the service department what was the most common repair on a Speed Queen washer?  They said that they wouldn't know.  They never see them again when they leave the sales floor.

Mine is a Tank! $800.  Buy one now and use it for 20 years or buy 4 lesser brands over the next 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
My fancy, top of the line Kenmore blew 2 fuggin water pumps and flooded my first floor twice.  Then there was a leak that couldn't be fixed so I said F it and got an LG.  So far so good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Fischer & Paykel

DrFrige recommended it and I haven't regretted it for a moment.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Yep first post and all that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Do not buy a front loader!
Old school top loader will be cheaper do larger loads and not develop the mildew smell.
I bought the little Mrs a front loader because she loved the color, can't wait til this pos dies so we can get a new one
STINK!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
One from craigslist for cheap. I brought a washer and dryer both whirlpool for 150 and my wife has used them for 3yrs now. Yes they are the older type but she wouldnt let me spend the money for anything nicer . since we brought a new set when we first got together that lasted maybe 2yrs.ok so it was the washer not the dryer that died. The dryer lasted another 2. I even brought another set as a back up, the same make and model from a mortgage foreclosure that is waiting just in case. I paid 75 for that set.just because someone says 200 a set doesn't mean they wont take less. And the money you save can go towards another gun.lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Definitely gives a direction to start looking into.

And the wife stuff is hilarious.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Old school top loader will be cheaper do larger loads and not develop the mildew smell.

I bought the little Mrs a front loader because she loved the color, can't wait til this pos dies so we can get a new one

STINK!
View Quote

You keep the door open after each run, right?  And you run the auto-clean cycle with bleach about once-a-month?

Zero smell issues with mine in 7 years.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
And don't fall for those front loader high efficiency adds either.  Those things suck ass and smell bad.  I can use my home made laundry detergent in my Speed Queen and it only costs about $1.75 for a 5 gallon bucket full.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Front load washing machines are terrible.  We spent a fortune on ours and it only lasted a few years.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#17]
We have a Whirlpool Cabrio that's been flawless for a few years now, and it holds way more stuff than any other top-loader I've ever seen.  Not for the electronics-averse, though.

It's a HE model, which I didn't really want, to be honest.  Water is cheap here.  I just wanted the super capacity.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do not buy a front loader if you are ignorant and don't read directions!
STINK!
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whirlpool is by far the best selling brand, reliable but easy to get parts for if needed.  I was in the appliance business for a very long time, a standard washer is a lot better than these fancy low water models, and they are reasonably priced.  These new low water use models don't clean nearly as well and are mechanically more complex, which is why they are so expensive, I wouldn't waste my money on one of those expensive fancy ones.
View Quote

It's more about reading directions. I was skeptical at first too. But I read the whole set of directions for my front loading HE, and it washes like a motherfucker. Granted, I'm only a salesman, but I sure do sweat out a set of gym clothes, especially with all the preworkout I take, and it works great.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Whirlpool. They change the look from time to time but under the hood they are all the same. Easy to fix if needed and easy to get parts for.
View Quote

Correct.

I have a number of rentals which means that I have need for an appliance repairman on a number of occasions.

According to them, you want a Whirlpool with as few doodads across the top as possible.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:03:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You keep the door open after each run, right?  And you run the auto-clean cycle with bleach about once-a-month?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
STINK!

Same here. I know FL have more issues but some of you make all FL out to be flaming POS machines. I'm going on 10 yrs for a Kenmore (Whirlpool) front-loaders; it's uses a tiny bit of water and never fails to get clothes clean. Sure, I'm sure the electronics will go out at some point and if it can't be fixed fairly cheaply I'll go with a F&P unit that always rates highly.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
fuck that new front loading bacteria growing, break down quicker than fuck, super expensive repair, computerrized bull shit.bull shit
If at all possible fix your old one, it WILL last longer tahn any new POS you buy now a days.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
fuck that new front loading bacteria growing, break down quicker than fuck, super expensive repair, computerrized bull shit.bull shit
If at all possible fix your old one, it WILL last longer tahn any new POS you buy now a days.
View Quote

This guy speaks the truth. We've had the same Whirlpool for 18 years and it keeps on keeping on.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#24]
DO NOT buy a front loader!!! They suck! We HATE ours, can't wait for it to die so we can go back to a top loader.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:13:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything but LG!!!!!!!!! They suck obamas nut sack!  Ours wasn't out of warranty when the dryer tub broke, but by the time LG got around to getting a repair person out (6 Weeks Later!, it was.
Their appliances and cell phones are worthless!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same here. I know FL have more issues but some of you make all FL out to be flaming POS machines. I'm going on 10 yrs for a Kenmore (Whirlpool) front-loaders; it's uses a tiny bit of water and never fails to get clothes clean. Sure, I'm sure the electronics will go out at some point and if it can't be fixed fairly cheaply I'll go with a F&P unit that always rates highly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
STINK!

With a top loader You can do bigger loads, don't have to leave the door open for the cats to get in, don't have to run a special cleaning cycle and it doesn't have a streak of soap down from the dispenser. Oh and they take less time to do the job. .
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

How easy is it to fix one?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

With a top loader You can do bigger loads, don't have to leave the door open for the cats to get in, don't have to run a special cleaning cycle and it doesn't have a streak of soap down from the dispenser. Oh and they take less time to do the job. .

View Quote

I don't do big loads.  Cats are for Chinese food.  I don't spill soap and I have all day to do laundry.  

And...

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
STINK!

Fuck, how many damn loads do you wash? My wife washes twice a week and we have a small child besides leaning over to get that one GD sock sucks. I don't have cats so that's out. We've never run the "cleaning cycle" and we don't have a streak of soap down the dispenser. Take less time? Dude, an hour to wash is not a problem oh and it uses very little water or energy.

Granted the old school washers without program le features last longer, I don't disagree but it's a convenance argument. Truth be told my set is the best set I've every used including fairly top of the line top loaders. Perhaps your experiance with FL isn't comprehensive of the options out there?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Whirlpool and Kenmore is not what it once was. Most are direct drive.

I ended up with my moms washer and dryer that was bought when I was a freshman in high school. The washer finally crapped out. I bought a GE and its been fine for almost two years. The water bill has gone down enough to pay for the washer and half the dryer so far. I did get a 3 year extended warranty for a total of 5 or 6 years on both. It was 75 bucks on special at Lowes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#31]
We've had GE front loaders for over 4 years, not a single issue, nothing.  Flawless. Great buy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We've had GE front loaders for over 4 years, not a single issue, nothing.  Flawless. Great buy.
View Quote

Front loaders are the bomb.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Ive got a samsung front loader, works great and clothes last longer.

Never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:55:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Fuck, how many damn loads do you wash? My wife washes twice a week and we have a small child besides leaning over to get that one GD sock sucks. I don't have cats so that's out. We've never run the "cleaning cycle" and we don't have a streak of soap down the dispenser. Take less time? Dude, an hour to wash is not a problem oh and it uses very little water or energy.

Granted the old school washers without program le features last longer, I don't disagree but it's a convenance argument. Truth be told my set is the best set I've every used including fairly top of the line top loaders. Perhaps your experiance with FL isn't comprehensive of the options out there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
STINK!

We prefer to do a couple of  big loads a week vs. a lot of little loads Ours is a whirlpool Duet 4.o cubic ft. I would NOT recommend it to anyone. My wife is sorry we bought it too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I buy the cheapest toploaders you can get on sale at Home Depot or Lowes. My last Kenmore cost me 150 and lasted me 5 years.

That HE digital crap is seriously overpriced.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Whirlpool GOLD, pay a little extra, but the parts/quality are TOP notch.  Plus they are very efficient.

I have the Duet, Washer and Dryer combo, been perfect for the past 2 years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top