Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2002 9:28:49 AM EDT
I was at home this past Christmas and I was looking through some of my younger brothers books. One of his senior classes was American Gvt. As I flipped through some of the material this was what cought my eye. Keep in mind that this is not an exact quote but almost word for word.

"....The second amendment is one of the most misunderstood parts of the constitution. The vast majority of people think that this gives them the right to own guns. It dose not. The Second Amendment merely allows the Militias run by the state to be permitted to use fire arms when and in ways directed by the state....."

What a bunch of BULLS*IT! I can't believe that this crap is being pumped into the young people and future voters. I have not yet had time to write my letter to the School Board and the publisher. Take my advice. Look at what the schools are teaching your kids/brothers!

JIM
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Idiots.

In a recent discussion with my great-nephew, who graduated from one of the pitiful public schools in the area in May 2002, I found-out he had never heard the term "state's rights."  He had a US history class and a government class his last two years of school and never heard the term!  How did they cover the Constitution or the causes of the War of Northern Aggression without introducing that?

I am so glad my parents sent me to a private school.  The priests I had that taught were so well-informed about US history, even though most of them were from Italy, that they corrected us whenever we used the term "civil war," because a civil war is where two or more groups are trying to control the same government.  It wasn't.z
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:27:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually had a ConLaw professor in law school who tried to argue this same point with me.  Needless to say, he was an idiot.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
So write a letter to the school board and pay to have it printed in the local paper. Organize a protest of the school board, mail a copy of a CCW to every member of the board, and the execs of the printing company (Hughton Mifflin?[sp])
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How did they cover the Constitution or the causes of the War of Northern Aggression without introducing that?
View Quote

Thus:
And the time came, that the Good Father of the Land, Father Abraham, made up his mind to free the slaves.
Alas, the evil slave owners (everybody was a slave owner down south) rebelled against the benign benefits and thusly had to be smitten by the central government.
And behold, all the slaves were free and a great rejoicing was heard.
This is why a strong central government is good for us: it protects the innocent and weak.
Hallejujah.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#5]
In medical school the same idiotic nonsense. It really blows my mind that many MD's and med students, who would normally question any assertation and study, asking for proof time and time again, blindly accept the Brady Bunch's propaganda.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
My brother makes it a habit of checking his 9 year-old son's assignments and re-educating him following tests and the like. Most of the problems have to do with the 2nd Amendment and racial issues. I didn't know 9 year-olds were taught that stuff so young, but I guess the indoctrination starts early these days.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would you please call your brother and get the following information.

The book title
The authors name
The publishers name and address
The chapter number
The page number

We need to get all over this one!
View Quote

Ditto.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#9]
my children will be home schooled
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll check with my bro and see what he has to say. He didn't mention a book, so I don't know if this is from a book or from what the teacher said. I'll find out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 1:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Just wait until I go to law school and get appointed to SCOTUS.  The true meaning of the 2A will live on.  Don't worry.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Homeschool, homeschool, HOMESCHOOLING is the only way to save your kids from this BS.  I am the only wage earner in my home, my wife stays home and raises/schools our children.  I alone make slightly more than the median US income, and manage to allow this to happen, own a home, three trucks, lots of guns, and can entertain all of my habits and hobbies.  The argument of "I just can't do it due to money" falls on deaf ears here, I make a comfortable living, but not an "executive" one, and make it happen.  Choose your priorities.  Homeschool your kids.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Idiots.

How did they cover the Constitution or the causes of the War of Northern Aggression without introducing that?
View Quote

That's funny, I didn't realize that it was Union troops that fired on Fort Sumter.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Would you please call your brother and get the following information.

The book title
The authors name
The publishers name and address
The chapter number
The page number

We need to get all over this one!
View Quote

I'm on it guys...stand by

JIM
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
 Would it not be somewhat illegal or just plain wrong for a public school to teach with books that state OPINIONS of something such as our constitition rather than just printing the constitution as it is written, and at best, let the students form their own opinions on it.
I would at least respect an individual student's translation of the 2nd admendment and I would respect that a debate of the 2nd admendment's meaning would be part of the learning process.
The actual meaning of the 2nd admendment has been a very contraversial subject in our court system for the longest time and has actually not been made clear by our court system as a whole to this day. I don't know how any school or those who write these books are allowed to go over our own courts and teach public students what the 2nd admendment should or should not mean when even our court system can't agree upon what the 2nd actually means.

Does this school also contain books that TELL YOU this is how the world was created???

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Idiots.

View Quote

That's funny, I didn't realize that it was Union troops that fired on Fort Sumter.  
View Quote

That's funny, I didn't realize that it was Confederates who spent 30 years systematically strangling the Southern economy by enacting export and import taxes, thus making it cheaper to ship and receive goods from Philadelphia and New York than from Norfolk or Charleston.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Well from what I understand The class dose have a written copy of the Constitution to read however it seems that people/teachers are giving their opinions as part of the class. It is a private Catholic school but I'm sure that gives them no right to teach opinion as fact. At least say 'its our opinion that 2A applies only to millitas' not insist on the fact. I'm not sure what there stance is on creation vs evolution but im sure they are biased there too.
My bro is out watching that new Star trek movie right now with his friends but I left him a message to send me the info ASAP. So expect that tomorow some time. I'm gonna have him make a copy and send it to me so I can read the Exact quote again.

Also, I'm not trying to tell anyone to start this huge thing and letter bombardment of these guys. I'll let you decide for your self if you want to. I just posted that to get it off my chest and to hear what my fellow freedom lovers had to say about it. I just HAD to blow some steam and this was the best way to do it.

JIM
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well from what I understand The class dose have a written copy of the Constitution to read however it seems that people/teachers are giving their opinions as part of the class. It is a private Catholic school but I'm sure that gives them no right to teach opinion as fact. At least say 'its our opinion that 2A applies only to millitas' not insist on the fact. I'm not sure what there stance is on creation vs evolution but im sure they are biased there too.
My bro is out watching that new Star trek movie right now with his friends but I left him a message to send me the info ASAP. So expect that tomorow some time. I'm gonna have him make a copy and send it to me so I can read the Exact quote again.

Also, I'm not trying to tell anyone to start this huge thing and letter bombardment of these guys. I'll let you decide for your self if you want to. I just posted that to get it off my chest and to hear what my fellow freedom lovers had to say about it. I just HAD to blow some steam and this was the best way to do it.

JIM
View Quote

Since it is a private Catholic school, I suppose my last post would need to be changed as I thought it was just a regular public school.
Parents who send their kids to private schools should be aware that private schools may not necessarily teach fact, but on their own opinions. Still very wrong though.
And I guess a Catholic school would have their own opinion and teach their students how the world was created.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
my children will be home schooled
View Quote

This is part of putting your money (and time, other resources) where your mouth is. I've said this on here before, and will gladly say it again and again. The public school system has had how long? 100 years? to prove itself and has failed miserably.

We home-schooled our two children through high school. They both graduated from college and are teachers now in private schools. Why would you even consider sending your children to a place where they teach them to be AGAINST YOU and what you believe in? Why not just send them to Afganistan or Pakistan to be educated???????????

And yes, I am still opinionated.

NMSight
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Idiots.

View Quote

View Quote

That's funny, I didn't realize that it was Confederates who spent 30 years systematically strangling the Southern economy by enacting export and import taxes, thus making it cheaper to ship and receive goods from Philadelphia and New York than from Norfolk or Charleston.

View Quote

That's funny, I still don't recall the troops firing the opening shots of the war as Union troops.  Does not matter the cause of it, the South fired first.  The Allies strangled the German economy for 20 years after WWI in the exact same way, so why isn't WWII called the "War of Allied Aggression" by those who live in the South?  Hitler was only responding to Allied strangulation tactics when he invaded Poland.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Been there, heard that.  Maybe if I had opened a few books I would even have read that. [:E]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top