Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2002 6:55:22 AM EDT
[url]http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=519&ncid=757&e=10&u=/ap/20021228/ap_on_re_us/wayward_bomb[/url]

Air Force to Pay for Woman's House Damage
Sat Dec 28, 2:47 AM ET  Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

EL PASO, Texas - The Air Force said Friday it will pay about $12,000 in damages to a woman whose house was hit by a dummy bomb.

Gloria Aker's west Texas home was hit last July by a bomb accidentally dropped from an Air Force F-117A Nighthawk on a practice run from Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico.

Although the dummy didn't contain explosives, it pierced the home's roof, flew through a bathroom, slammed through a wall, then plowed 6 feet into the ground. Later, a device used to locate the bomb discharged smoke throughout the house.

Aker was in her home with her two children when the bomb hit. All three were shaken but unharmed. The family has been living with Aker's parents while the home is repaired.

"My son and my daughter, they have nightmares. They're not too excited about going home," Aker said.

Attorney Mike Milligan said his client accepted the $12,000 offer this week. A spokeswoman at the air base confirmed the settlement Friday.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:30:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Now that would get your attention!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Least no one was on the shitter when it happened![shock]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I feel for the woman, and I'm glad that she settled for the cost of repairs instead of thinking of this as the lottery like I would have.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The AF has a not-so-covert mission to take out all toilet seats costing less than $900 apiece.

OTOH, maybe they thought they were taking fire....
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
well the gaseous expellings of some of our members could qualify as lethal weapons...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thankfully, no one was hurt. Even without explosives, it is clear that the device had a lot of kinetic energy. Could easily ruin someone's day.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top