Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2014 7:41:55 AM EDT
IMHO the 70 series was the best production 1911, just great guns

How do the new ones compare?

Why no gold medallion grips?

How much are u paying for one now ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The new ones are generally better than the old ones.  

Buds had some the other day.  Not sure of price.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:04:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Really?  I'm what way?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

I'd like to know "in what way" also!

I'm still dreaming of a Series 70 Gold Cup Match in Stainless I saw thirty years ago!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm guessing here, but do the new ones have dovetailed front sight?

My old series 70 slide doesn't.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm still dreaming of a Series 70 Gold Cup Match in Stainless I saw thirty years ago!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

here ya go
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I need a Series 70 full size repro. I like that they  stuck on better sights AND got rid of the collet bushing.

Thread needs pics. Loving my Series 70 WC Commander.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I need a Series 70 full size repro. I like that they  stuck on better sights AND got rid of the collet bushing.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/THR-Thumper/media/Clapp1_zps4f3b3268.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/THR-Thumper/Clapp1_zps4f3b3268.jpg</a>

View Quote

They are not reproductions, they are legitimate Colt Series 70 pistols.  Colt is making them not someone else.  The serials numbers even continue where the initial production left off.  

I wish to God people would quit using the reproduction word with these pistols.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/THR-Thumper/media/Clapp1_zps4f3b3268.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/THR-Thumper/Clapp1_zps4f3b3268.jpg</a>

View Quote

Maybe I'm going full 13'er but do those grips come in a lefty version?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to attach a Osprey 45 to one of the new Series 70 guns? Is it as simple as a barrel swap?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That's really cool, I did not know that.

I

They are not reproductions, they are legitimate Colt Series 70 pistols.  Colt is making them not someone else.  The serials numbers even continue where the initial production left off.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's really cool, I did not know that.

I

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#12]
THR is right; this thread needs more pics...

Before; Wiley Clapp Govt. Series 70:

After some custom touches:

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

They aren't any better, unless you count the lack of the collet bushing "better" (which it is, btw). New Colt pistols are junk, your cash is better spent on an old one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IMHO the 70 series was commercial Colt is the best production 1911, just great guns

How do the new ones compare?

Why no gold medallion grips?

How much are u paying for one now ?
View Quote

I own a few MK IV 70 series pistols but my favorites are the commercial series built up to 1970 and ending at serial # 336000-C

The G serial number and B serial number MK IV's (large & small rollmark guns produced  in the 1970's & early 80's are great guns but not near the finish quality of earlier specimens

The new production Colt 70 series are very well made nicely finished pistols but I cant figure out why they called them 70's....the introduction of the collet bushing ushered in the 70'series yet Colt decided to come back to market with the new ones and call them 70's.....who knows why
Here are a few examples I pulled from the safe

Commercial Model Built up until 1970

Large rollmark G prefix

Small rollmark B suffix notice how faint rollmarks are when compared to bird dogs Wiley Clapp pictures above and this gun is 100% original condition with very little wear....typical Colt from the era....

This Colt Commander is one of my all time favorites...she carries well and eats absolutely everything...

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They aren't any better, unless you count the lack of the collet bushing "better" (which it is, btw). New Colt pistols are junk, your cash is better spent on an old one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

You couldn't be more wrong. Seriously.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

I own a new production Delta Elite. It's been back to Colt twice because it bulges the cases of factory loaded ammunition.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:50:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll gladly tell you you're wrong. I've had a few different examples of post 2008 Colts, and every one has been flawless. Pistol smiths have stated many times that the newer Colts are better built, and have tighter tolerances that the older models. Your one, while it is a shame, is not a reason to excoriate the entire production line. Hell, I had a serious lemon of an STI; doesn't mean that I don't recognize the overall quality of their pistols.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

Mine is a Series 80 but it is still my favorite pistol.

But my two tone Series 70 Combat Government Model is a solid gun too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, you must need sunglasses when you shoot that!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 01911 and it's never given me a problem. I love it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Damn, you must need sunglasses when you shoot that!
View Quote

The top of the slide is dull and grooved. But yea, you can use the sides as a signal mirror.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/20131119_145007_zpsde53c1c3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/20131119_145007_zpsde53c1c3.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/8456081c-af03-40c6-bde1-c7c97d30a6c4_zps3eb8c932.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/8456081c-af03-40c6-bde1-c7c97d30a6c4_zps3eb8c932.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/20131119_145007_zpsde53c1c3.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/20131119_145007_zpsde53c1c3.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/ztug/media/8456081c-af03-40c6-bde1-c7c97d30a6c4_zps3eb8c932.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh564/ztug/8456081c-af03-40c6-bde1-c7c97d30a6c4_zps3eb8c932.jpg</a>

I bet you have the only two tone 70 series Combat Government out there.....love it.....is that a combat Government frame....is the front grip strap serrated?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]
While I did go with Glock instead, I did some research on 1911's before I stuck with what I grew up with. The overall opinion 2 years ago on the various 1911 forums is that modern series 70 pistols have more consistent quality control. Apparently back in the day, some of the pistols were awesome and others were lemons.

I still intend to get a Series 80 for carry and a Series 70 to be pimped out as a USPSA single stack gun eventually.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Really?  I'm what way?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?
I had two back in the day..they weren't that great. Colt passed through a real

low point in my opinion back in the early 70's to early 80's They were not lousy

guns...By today's 1911 standards they would be in the lower tier.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

Wat? The Series 70 [original] was VERY hit and miss. You could get a nice one or a total POS. The pre 70s made in the 60s were FAR better built 1911s and the earlier one's were works of art. The new Series 70 is built to a much higher standard the the originals could ever dream to be.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I have one of the originals, and I've looked over a brand new one a few times.

The fit of the parts seems decent on both, but there's a definite difference in the finish. The new MkIV Series 70 is finished better than most recent production Colts I've seen, but there's something about the finish on the newer Colts that I'm not fond of. The sides of the slide have a decent polish, but the rest of the gun (and most other Colts) have a rough matte texture.

I like the finish of my older example a bit better, but there's an obvious contrast to the bluing.

On one hand, I wouldn't mind owning one of the new ones, but on the other, I think I'd rather have an entry level Dan Wesson for that kind of money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The fit of the parts seems decent on both, but there's a definite difference in the finish. The new MkIV Series 70 is finished better than most recent production Colts I've seen, but there's something about the finish on the newer Colts that I'm not fond of. The sides of the slide have a decent polish, but the rest of the gun (and most other Colts) have a rough matte texture.

I like the finish of my older example a bit better, but there's an obvious contrast to the bluing.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/MkIVSeries70.jpg

On one hand, I wouldn't mind owning one of the new ones, but on the other, I think I'd rather have an entry level Dan Wesson for that kind of money.
View Quote

What kind of money are you looking at for an entry level DW?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#28]
The Colt 1911 Series 70 Govt Model was my first handgun.  Still have it
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Might be my next purchase. Very interested in replies.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k620/Bassgasm1/Gun%20Stuff/MkIVSeries70.jpg

I think both this Colt and the RZ-45 Heritage are in the $1100 range.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The one I posted earlier was my first firearm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:38:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good choice.

For the record though, had to replace the 3 finger collette once or twice, finally got the solid one like they use in the Gold Cup, the slide stop 2x or more, and the thumb safety at least once.  I modified mine with rubber Pachmahrs, a Brownell's full length guide rod, cheap after market no name high profile sights I got at a gun show a long time ago

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, but if you go to their web page, even Colt uses the word "reproduction" with these pistols. So does the entirety of the Colt collecting world.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#34]
How much are the gold medallion grips going for now?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

So .... the roll mark on the left side is crooked on these too.... ?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Wat? The Series 70 [original] was VERY hit and miss. You could get a nice one or a total POS. The pre 70s made in the 60s were FAR better built 1911s and the earlier one's were works of art. The new Series 70 is built to a much higher standard the the originals could ever dream to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I'm what way?

This. Original Colt 70 series guns, made in the 70s, were the reason why everyone in the 80s and onwards complained that 1911s were jammomatic pieces of shit. They were fairly terrible guns. If you got one that worked, great...odds are though, you wouldn't get one that worked out of the box. New ones are awesome.

To JBski:
If your Delta is bulging cases, I'd guess either you're shooting some really hot-rod stuff, or the barrel was incorrectly throated. Did you do any work to it before sending it back to Colt? And can you define "factory loaded ammunition" please? Which factory/ammo maker? Have you tried different ammo?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#37]
But, but... COLT!

Colt, man.

TDP and shit, go to the chart!

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Because one doesn't prove ANYTHING.

Because people that know far more about 1911s, work on them for a living, or depend on them know you're wrong.

Quit being a baby about it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my 1991 commander.

My brother worked it over, and swapped some parts and it's been great.

I do wish it was a series 70 though. It'd make detail stripping a bit more simple.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to attach a Osprey 45 to one of the new Series 70 guns? Is it as simple as a barrel swap?
View Quote

it's a 1911. there's no such thing as a "barrel swap". you should by a barrel from a reputable manufacturer and have someone that knows what he is doing fit the barrel to your gun.  you may be able to "drop in" barrels in more mass production type 1911's such as a sig, but plain and simply those guns are not as "good". And quite frankly those guns may need to be fit as well. i do not know as i don't work on them for a living
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:25:24 AM EDT
[#41]
I've bought six Colt 1911 variants in the last three years, and every one of them looks, shoots and handles as good as anything Colt made back in the day. My Rail Gun has a few thousand rounds through it so far, with nothing more than a few failures to feed when it was new. Now that it's "loosened up" a bit, it devours everything I run through it and keeps on truckin'.

I have no reason to believe the new Series 70 guns aren't every bit as good, and I'll be grabbing one of them first chance I get.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Love my B run Series 70.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#43]
They certainly are good lookers with the polished blue. However i refuse to buy another 1911 with mim parts I guess im old school that way. YMMV

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They certainly are good lookers with the polished blue. However i refuse to buy another 1911 with mim parts I guess im old school that way. YMMV  
View Quote

God, not this shit again.

How many MIM parts have you broken? And I guess you ignore just how many 1911 makers, including the high end guys, that use MIM parts. And you do know that they can be replaced, right?

ETA: These are the only MIM parts in a Colt XSE...Magazine Catch, Mag Catch Lock, Sear, Disconnector
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

How many MIM parts have you broken? And I guess you ignore just how many 1911 makers, including the high end guys, that use MIM parts. And you do know that they can be replaced, right?

ETA: These are the only MIM parts in a Colt XSE...Magazine Catch, Mag Catch Lock, Sear, Disconnector
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the 1911 forum all over again. Birddog is right. MIM parts aren't that big of a deal. And if you're buying a 1911 without MIM you're way out of the price range of the colts anyways.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Picked this up at a gun show about 5 years ago. 1974. It was dry and a little dirty but wasn't even broken in. Cleaned it up and love it.

It is dirty from shooting in the pick. Also - yes the roll mark in slanted.

ETA - Here's the other side.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It's the 1911 forum all over again. Birddog is right. MIM parts aren't that big of a deal. And if you're buying a 1911 without MIM you're way out of the price range of the colts anyways.
View Quote

Not exactly, unless things have changed. The Sig GSR was early on advertised as no MIM. Can't say if that's still true. Apparently DW has one less MIM part.

Okay, so if it's a shitty made MIM part, yes it could lead to a problem. However, Colt is highly regarded for having excellent MIM parts. The only part I might concern myself with would be the disconnector. Though I have yet to break one on anything but a STI gun.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:54:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:And if you're buying a 1911 without MIM you're way out of the price range of the colts anyways.
View Quote

Unless you're buying a Norinco.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have broken a grip safety ... I just don't like the process i mean mixing chemical powers/plastic to make a part that should be forged steel is a cost cutting method no one will argue that.It also has tiny little holes in the part again that bothers me. You are right a non mim part gun costs more but i think it's worth it again YMMV. Colt does use the fewest mim parts of most of the production 1911's.

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Picked this up at a gun show about 5 years ago. 1974. It was dry and a little dirty but wasn't even broken in. Cleaned it up and love it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bacon51/Colt%201911/Series-70-06web.jpg

It is dirty from shooting in the pick. Also - yes the roll mark in slanted.

ETA - Here's the other side.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bacon51/Colt%201911/Series-70-07web.jpg

View Quote
good looking 1911. How does that thing shoot? Did you replace the collet bushing?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top