Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2002 11:07:31 PM EDT
I got it installed the other day but just figured out how to get my NIC up and running.  I am posting this from a linux OS.  

Now if I could just find some games for it [:(]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Games are the only reason I don't have linux on my PCs.  I play games mostly and they're all windows :(  But WinXP Pro (Corporate, no registration or other assorted crap) has been pretty good.  I'd still love to run linux if the majority of new games were available for it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What kind would you like, S-man?  There is a LOT of good stuff coming out, these days, especially flight sims.
View Quote

I've been looking for a good flight sim for quite some time.  Point me in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey, does anyone know how to get a scrolling mouse working?
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[url]www.flightgear.org[/url]
View Quote

Yikes!  Its gonna be awhile before I can figure out how to install all that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 3:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
There is always the games that come with KDE.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am posting this from a linux OS.  

Now if I could just find some games for it [:(]
View Quote

Isn't Linux a text-based adventure game?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I take it that you're using DHCP?   If so, jump on your windoze box and do an ipconfig and jot down the namserver IP address.

Quoted:
While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to get the DNS info from an IPS who allows Linux but refuses to support it?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
edit /etc/X11/XF86Config:
Section "InputDevice"
                                     Identifier "Mouse"
                                     Driver     "mouse"
                                     Option "Protocol"        "imps/2"
                                     Option "Device"          "/dev/psaux"
                                     Option "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
                                     Option "Buttons"         "3"
                                 EndSection
View Quote

Thanks Meltdown that worked perfect.  Now if I could just get the sound card going.  It recognizes the chipset but doesnt know what to do with it.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
While we are on the subject, does anyone know how to get the DNS info from an IPS who allows Linux but refuses to support it?
View Quote

Call them and ask for their two (or sometimes three) DNS servers.  After you get the IP addresses, you'll put them in /etc/resolv.conf like so:

nameserver 1.2.3.4
nameserver 6.5.7.8

That's all you have to do.z
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Oddly enough, whenever I load Knoppix (rather unknown variant of a pre-configured Linux), it recognizes almost everything, including the network and the sound. Only thing it has problems with is screen config (major problem) and the wheel mouse (medium annoyance).
But it's nice if you have to boot a computer without having to install any kind of OS (boots from CD, complete with config and 'installed' applications.)
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Redhat the windows of Linux.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Sure, emulation of Windows gaems with Wine or WineX works, but I've found that maintaining a Windows partition solely for Windows-based games works best.

I run Mandrake 9.0 and whenever I want to play a game, I just reboot into Windows98, play the game, then re-boot back into Mandrake when I'm done. This way, you can format a partition solely for Windows and your games, along with Direct X. No dirty registry from installing and uninstalling other apps and stuff, just a clean windows install and updated games.

You don't want to taunt Windows by giving it too many chances to mangle itself. It does games well, so that's the only thing I let it do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For a Linux Newbie, I would recommend getting the latest iteration of Mandrake.  I'm waiting for a new box before I go to the latest, but when I installed it as a dual boot on my home machine, it went perfectly with almost no input from me.  (IP address, time zone, etc.)

Have fun!  RedHat was my first stab at Linux, but it's not real fun for new blood.
View Quote

I've worked in the IT industry for the past 6+ years so I'm not all that new.  I've just never really got into the whole linux thing.  I've installed it before and got a dial up connection going but always gave up on it.  I have my machine dual booting with 2000 now so I'm going to do my best to rough it.  I'll start taking Red Hats training courses at the end of March (Company is paying) so I'm sure that will help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anyone know of a good file sharing program for linux?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#22]
desktop pics?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Wooohooo! Finally got Redhat Linux installed
View Quote

Hopefully you will not have as much difficulty un-installing it!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wooohooo! Finally got Redhat Linux installed
View Quote

Hopefully you will not have as much difficulty un-installing it!
View Quote

Un-installing is the easy part.  Trust me, I've done it way to many times.  All it involves is repartitioning and installing another os.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:47:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Un-installing is the easy part.  Trust me, I've done it way to many times.  All it involves is repartitioning and installing another os.
View Quote

I was just ribbing ya man, forgot the :-)

I too have been through it way too many times. Personally though, I think I'll just let it stay un-installed.

I've worked in IT for 10+ years and just can't find any advantage RH has over MS for my/our needs.

That being said, I will admit that Smoothwall is pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I was just ribbing ya man, forgot the :-)

I too have been through it way too many times. Personally though, I think I'll just let it stay un-installed.

I've worked in IT for 10+ years and just can't find any advantage RH has over MS for my/our needs.

That being said, I will admit that Smoothwall is pretty sweet.
View Quote

[:)] I kinda thought my ribs felt a bit soar.  

Smoothwall is awesome!  I just need to find another machine to run it on.

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top