Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/24/2014 8:21:01 AM EDT
I have convinced the wife in principle to give up the home land line.  We already have an extra cell line that we pay $10 a month for that is doing nothing.  I think I can port the home phone number to the spare cell line.  My main question is about handsets in the house.  What is the best way to duplicate the several handsets in different locations in the house?  Do they have cellular base stations with wireless handsets?      
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You might look at these.

Phones
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you need a dedicated phone just for your home?

My wife and I each have our own cellphones with no home phone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

They are handy In some places.  
My brothers house apparently straddles the border of a cellphone Bermuda Triangle.  
Half the house has perfect 4g coverage.  The other half has zero coverage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
Same.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Same.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  

Same here.

Having separate phones makes infidelity sooo much easier.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Google Voice.  I don't want the crap calls going to my cell phone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
What's a landline?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:33:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Same.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  

Apparently a lot of people want it.   There are quite a few phones designed for this.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote
Kids.  We need one phone for the whole family at the house.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Same.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  

Yeah for about 10 years now. But, I do live about a half mile from a tower. If you are in some kind of dead zone, get a signal booster.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had a landline in 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#12]
We still have a (voip) land line, it costs $2/month or something like that. Ooma FTW.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:37:16 AM EDT
[#13]
most people i know have been doing that for years.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Without a landline, how would I get on the internet?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I haven't had a landline in 10 years.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#16]
While some may think that 'land lines' are not needed, they may find out the hard way that is not so.  Several years ago we had a major fire here and emergency services closed all of the cell towers so they could have full access to all of their people.  Cell phone access was very spotty.  There were even some cell phone towers that got damaged in that fire, hence no service.  I would think that with all of the power issues there are in the 'lower 48', that one would want to keep a land line.  For us not only do we have the land line to back up the cell phone, but we also have a sat phone.  Back when Alaska had a major earth quake all of the phone systems went down and about the only way to talk to the outside world was with short wave radio.  One never knows.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your kids are deprived.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I use Google Voice as my virtual landline.
GV is a free call forwarding and voicemail service.
They issue you a free phone number and you can program the GV number to shuttle the call to any number you want.

The way have it set-up, if you call my Google Voice number it will ring every phone number I have (personal cell, business cell, office landline, remote office landline).
The beauty of the application is I can designate certain numbers to only ring a particular line (i.e. I can program a client's number to ONLY ring my business lines and never my personal cell).

I can designate some incoming numbers to always punt the call immediately to Voicemail, and best yet, I can indicate which incoming numbers to blacklist.
The call will never connect or ring my phone. The caller will receive a polite disconnected recording and not allow them to leave a voicemail.

And then I have quiet hours where all calls except for certain critical numbers will immediately go to voicemail.

Oh, and let me add that when the voicemail is left - you can have Google Voice set-up to send you an SMS or Email transcript of the voicemail just left. It does a fair job of speech-to-text translation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good thinking.  My 2 month old doesn't talk on the phone yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You might look at these.

Phones
View Quote
I was looking at those, but they SEEM to be landlines that allow you to link your cell phone in via bluetooth. I am looking for something without the landline at all, but has a base unit that plugs in to the wall for electricity. These seem close to what I want, I suppose I could just not plug the phone line into the wall, and leave the cell phone plugged in and connected via blutooth, but that seems like a lot of work around.  I would rather have a dedicated base unit that I could put the sim card in.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Magic Jack

/thread
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:45:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I did away with my landline years ago and went cell only. Basically it's just a very long distance cordless phone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]
majic jack user here...looking at other options, I haven't paid the normal phone Co.'s
prices in yrs.

Majic jack number is for other uses....I ain't giving my eel number to utility's or business.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was looking at those, but they SEEM to be landlines that allow you to link your cell phone in via bluetooth. I am looking for something without the landline at all, but has a base unit that plugs in to the wall for electricity. These seem close to what I want, I suppose I could just not plug the phone line into the wall, and leave the cell phone plugged in and connected via blutooth, but that seems like a lot of work around.  I would rather have a dedicated base unit that I could put the sim card in.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You might look at these.

Phones

I know AT&T has what you want.
Who is your provider?

http://m.att.com/shopmobile/wireless/devices/att/wireless-home-phone-silver.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#25]
haven't had a landline since I loved out of my parents house.  

cell is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
haven't had a landline since I loved out of my parents house.  

cell is the way to go.
View Quote

That sounds like what he wants to do, but has a few kids he does not want to buy cellphones for.
This way they can all use cordless phones like if he had a landline, but it is still a cellular line.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#27]
We did this several years ago. $50/month for AT&T land line or $9.99 (+ taxes) extra when we had a family share plan. Ported the home phone to an old LG flip phone. Works great. It's the only basic phone in the house now (I finally got another smartphone two days ago).
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You might look at these.

Phones

Wouldn't that be more expensive than a standard landline?

The bluetooth options are great, as soon as either my wife's or my phone is in range, they get picked up and every phone in the house rings.  Heck, I've left my phone in the car in the driveway and it was still in range to allow me to take calls.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#30]
If you have high speed internet CallCentric

My bill has been $3.45 per month.  Half of that is the 911 fees.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I can't believe what they charge these days for voice.

Most bundled voice is replacing traditional POTS lines. And it's still too expensive.

Alarm lines and elevator lines are among the last of this dying service.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Why do you need multiple phones?   One "family" cell phone.  A call comes in.  Someone answers it.

If the call is for someone else, give the phone to that person.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my house it's for access to 911 since I have kids without cell phones.

I use google voice with an obihai box.  Free home phone service and I can block numbers outside my contact list.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Why do you need multiple phones?   One "family" cell phone.  A call comes in.  Someone answers it.

If the call is for someone else, give the phone to that person.
View Quote

Large family, large multi story house.  

Provider is TMobile.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I use google voice with an obihai box.  Free home phone service and I can block numbers outside my contact list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for long...

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#37]
The NSA thanks you.

Quoted:
I use Google Voice as my virtual landline.
GV is a free call forwarding and voicemail service.
They issue you a free phone number and you can program the GV number to shuttle the call to any number you want.

The way have it set-up, if you call my Google Voice number it will ring every phone number I have (personal cell, business cell, office landline, remote office landline).
The beauty of the application is I can designate certain numbers to only ring a particular line (i.e. I can program a client's number to ONLY ring my business lines and never my personal cell).

I can designate some incoming numbers to always punt the call immediately to Voicemail, and best yet, I can indicate which incoming numbers to blacklist.
The call will never connect or ring my phone. The caller will receive a polite disconnected recording and not allow them to leave a voicemail.

And then I have quiet hours where all calls except for certain critical numbers will immediately go to voicemail.

Oh, and let me add that when the voicemail is left - you can have Google Voice set-up to send you an SMS or Email transcript of the voicemail just left. It does a fair job of speech-to-text translation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#38]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not for long...

http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html
Yeah, that really bummed me out. While I don't use an obihal box, I do make extensive use of XMPP to interact with Google. Ya get what ya pay for (I have no right to complain), but it really does suck. This is affecting more of my personal little projects, than just voice.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Without a landline, how would I get on the internet?
View Quote

Dry loop dsl or cable or tether your phone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#40]
One unintended consequence I've noticed of this mass landline exodus to the land of milk and cellular wireless, is that calls to virtually every private individual sound like utter dogshit.

As I monitor recorded phone calls at work, the only calls that sound nice are those that come from other businesses. When a normal customer calls, they're virtually all using cell phones, and the overwhelming majority of them sound like ass. It's really amazing how much we've sacrificed in terms of call quality, for convenience.

I can't stand talking to somebody on a cell phone for longer than 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#41]
the 911 system is still based off of land line addresses.  That is the only reason why I have one, and why I will keep one.  There was a story in the county that I live in (45 min to GA) where a cell phone bounced a tower in GA and went to the wrong 911 center.  If you want cheap, try vonage.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Land line is free with my DSl, plus I really don't want my kids using my wife's cell phone minutes on her 25 dollar a month no contract phone. My cell phone is free from my employer and paid for by tax dollars so I try not to abuse it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
One unintended consequence I've noticed of this mass landline exodus to the land of milk and cellular wireless, is that calls to virtually every private individual sound like utter dogshit.

As I monitor recorded phone calls at work, the only calls that sound nice are those that come from other businesses. When a normal customer calls, they're virtually all using cell phones, and the overwhelming majority of them sound like ass. It's really amazing how much we've sacrificed in terms of call quality, for convenience.

View Quote

Agreed.  Cell phones are obviously useful, but only when there's not a real phone available.  

I assume you've experienced HD Voice.  Only a matter of bandwidth until cell providers adopt this.  Sprint talks about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Agreed.  Cell phones are obviously useful, but only when there's not a real phone available.  

I assume you've experienced HD Voice.  Only a matter of bandwidth until cell providers adopt this.  Sprint talks about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The phones in my office use g.722 as the voice codec, where feasible. One of the perks of being "the phone guy".

It sounds awesome. It's used in radio for remote broadcasts over ISDN for a reason. Sounds like you're in studio.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Another factor in the equation is my home security system.  If I "cut the cord"  I will have a one time charge to update my equipment, my bill will go up $4 per month, and I will have to extend my contract.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:03:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Around here Verizon has a stand alone device that works like a cell phone and you plug your house phone into it. Dad saw it the last time we upgraded phones was happy to have $20 on the overall cell bill and save about $75 by ditching the land line.  Regular phone service out here is horrible. Every time the counties mows they take out 2 of those phone boxes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:07:34 AM EDT
[#48]
I really should just wander into the TMobile store and poke around.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I haven't had a land line in years.  The only down side to giving up a land line is in Emergency 911 situations.  I witnessed an injury accident one time and tried repeatedly to dial 911.  The stupid phone picked that moment to be stupid.  I could not make the call.  Before I could get the call to go out an officer happened by on her way home so I no longer needed to call 911 and stopped trying.

Just food for thought.  Murphy's law, there's a lot of crap that can go wrong with cell phones especially smart phones.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep; works out very well.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top