Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/23/2014 7:27:08 PM EDT
Instead of going to school for four years to get your degree in Guatemalan Lesbian Poetry and taking a year and a half of classes that don't relate to your major, you go to school for two and a half years and take ONLY classes directly related to Guatemalan Lesbian Poetry. What says ARFCOM?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No.  The problem isn't the concept of general education, it's the stupid GE classes they offer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
should hot college chicks drop their panties?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
should hot college chicks drop their panties?
View Quote

Yes, always yes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No.  The problem isn't the concept of general education, it's the stupid GE classes they offer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Terrible idea.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
My bachelor is General Education. What do you care what someone else's degree is in?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Instead of going to school for four years to get your degree in Guatemalan Lesbian Poetry and taking a year and a half of classes that don't relate to your major, you go to school for two and a half years and take ONLY classes directly related to Guatemalan Lesbian Poetry. What says ARFCOM?
View Quote

Yes they should.  Quite frankly gen eds are nothing but a money maker.  1/2 of my gen ed classes were online.  90 percent of my overall gen ed classes I was handed an A (literally).  Have the gen ed's rounded me more intellectually?  To an extent, however someone like myself who likes to learn can certainly learn more effectively on there own while not wasting xxx amount of dollars per year on classes that don't pertain to my degree.   Gen ed's are also an easy way for colleges to  weed the weak out.  If you cant pass a gen ed class there is almost zero hope of you passing a class that is of a 300 or 400 level.  99% of college is showing up and doing what I call the free points (papers, homework,quizzes).  1% is actually taking exams.  9 times out of ten I can  work on all my "free points" and get c's on the test's and still pass with an low a or b.  I obviously try my best (after all that's why im paying to be there) however I know kids that do it that way.  Take this with a grain of salt however I am not exactly at Harvard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes they should.  Quite frankly gen eds are nothing but a money maker.  1/2 of my gen ed classes were online.  90 percent of my overall gen ed classes I was handed an A (literally).  Have the gen ed's rounded me more intellectually?  To an extent, however someone like myself who likes to learn can certainly learn more effectively on there own while not wasting xxx amount of dollars per year on classes that don't pertain to my degree.   Gen ed's are also an easy way for colleges to  weed the weak out.  If you cant pass a gen ed class there is almost zero hope of you passing a class that is of a 300 or 400 level.  99% of college is showing up and doing what I call the free points (papers, homework,quizzes).  1% is actually taking exams.  9 times out of ten I can do work on all my free points and get c's on the test's and still pass with an low a or b.  I obviously try my best (after all that's why im paying to be there) however I know kids that do it that way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they should.  Quite frankly gen eds are nothing but a money maker.  1/2 of my gen ed classes were online.  90 percent of my overall gen ed classes I was handed an A (literally).  Have the gen ed's rounded me more intellectually?  To an extent, however someone like myself who likes to learn can certainly learn more effectively on there own while not wasting xxx amount of dollars per year on classes that don't pertain to my degree.   Gen ed's are also an easy way for colleges to  weed the weak out.  If you cant pass a gen ed class there is almost zero hope of you passing a class that is of a 300 or 400 level.  99% of college is showing up and doing what I call the free points (papers, homework,quizzes).  1% is actually taking exams.  9 times out of ten I can do work on all my free points and get c's on the test's and still pass with an low a or b.  I obviously try my best (after all that's why im paying to be there) however I know kids that do it that way.

Then you went to a shitty school.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Get rid of the other classes.  College is too expensive.

It won't happen because college is just another way to keep folks out of the labor force.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite, the school I am at which I will not name is one of the top "education studies" school in PA. Once again as I edited in I am not at Harvard by any means but I'm at your typical state college.  Also before you ask it is not a community college.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
No. People should drop college.  Conventional education is going the way of the chalkboard.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Its how they get people going into math/science to get the necessary indoctrination of progressive bullshit. Its hard to work social justice into a calculus class so they make them take human studies or some such gay shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Not quite, the school I am at which I will not name is one of the top "education studies" school in PA. Once again as I edited in I am not at Harvard by any means but I'm at your typical state college.  Also before you ask it is not a community college.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does "education studies" mean what I think it does? That's all I need to know.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Teaching sir.  As in becoming a teacher.  My mistake for not elaborating.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#16]
They already have.  They're called technical colleges schools.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Misread that lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Education Department is where most of the derp at my school originates from.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#19]
The fact that the gen eds have been watered down doesn't mean they shouldn't be there... there's just things that should be fixed.

Freshman composition should be a motherfucker. That's the first one that comes to my mind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#21]
out of the limited college I had before I dropped out the GE classes I taken, I didn't learn shit.

I learned more in my Fraternity and being in the Student Center and working
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
College/Univeraity is NOT supposed to be vocational training.  

I am not sure why so many people fail to understand this.

Maybe it's beause the U.S doesn't have a strong institutionalized apprentice/guild system.  
View Quote

Except they are sold to kids as vocational schools.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:54:08 PM EDT
[#23]
So the average grad shouldn't know any math, science history , etc?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
College/Univeraity University is NOT supposed to be vocational training.  

Maybe it's beause because the U.S doesn't have a strong institutionalized apprentice/guild system.  
View Quote

They could easily trim the fat and/or make the general classes relevant.  Language classes such as Spanish, etc, computer (Excel, etc) classes, Latin for medical terms, and others could instead take the place of shit like Sociology, Psychology, Music Appreciation, Film, and all the other garbage humanities that fill schedules.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#25]
General Ed. isn't useless
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Education Department is where most of the derp at my school originates from.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kills me is education major's are the ones that seem to dick off the most.  

I think the watering down of college (which I believe is happening) comes from the kids that are entering the schools.  Overall I think the freshman of today are collectively dumber than the freshmen 10 years ago.  In order to keep numbers up the school has to dumb down the studies to ensure these kids A. stay in school ie. don't quit and b. pass no matter what the grade.  The only way the college's make money is if kids show up knocking on there door.  I also think that professors don't care as much as they used to.  Another example my school does a lot of online classes.  Why?  Because the computer does all the grading the teachers do less work and they can cram more kids into a class than before.  The college makes more money the teachers have it easier because they have to actually lecture less classes.   Let me preface all of that by saying I don't believe all kids are dumber nor do I believe all teachers don't care, however I do believe collectively we see more of this today than yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think the watering down of college (which I believe is happening) comes from the kids that are entering the schools.  Overall I think the freshman of today are collectively dumber than the freshmen 10 years ago.  In order to keep numbers up the school has to dumb down the studies to ensure these kids A. stay in school ie. don't quit and b. pass no matter what the grade.  The only way the college's make money is if kids show up knocking on there door.  I also think that professors don't care as much as they used to.  Another example my school does a lot of online classes.  Why?  Because the computer does all the grading the teachers do less work and they can cram more kids into a class than before.  The college makes more money the teachers have it easier because they have to actually lecture less classes.   Let me preface all of that by saying I don't believe all kids are dumber nor do I believe all teachers don't care, however I do believe collectively we see more of this today than yesterday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Around 25% of education majors are good, and are the type of people I want to see working with children. The others are hardcore partiers/dullards who want an easy job with high security. I know a lot of education majors who smoke a LOT of weed. They've also put up a ton of those stupid "Ban the R-word" posters up around campus lately.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

People with college degrees should have a well rounded education.  No matter your degree I believe everyone should be able to write at a college level, have a decent handle on US and world history as well as government, know and have read the major english literature authors and philosophers, be exposed to college level math to include calculus, understand entry level physics and chemistry, and have exposure to a foreign language.

When I graduated high school I thought the idea of gen eds was stupid, that I should go to college to focus on the ins and outs of the specific field of study.  Between being forced to take these gen eds and meeting other students who had very little exposure to these topics in high school I realized the importance of studying them at a college level.

I still think that non-science majors get off too easy with math and science classes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Maybe it's beause the U.S doesn't have a strong institutionalized apprentice/guild system.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This.

Quoted:
The fact that the gen eds have been watered down doesn't mean they shouldn't be there... there's just things that should be fixed.

Freshman composition should be a motherfucker. That's the first one that comes to my mind.

And this.

I spent a couple years as a History major at the local state school. You wouldn't believe how many STEM majors couldn't write to save their lives when we got grouped up in GenEd courses. I tested out of Freshman-year Writing 1 and sophomore-year Writing 10 (<100 was lower-division frosh/soph classes, >100 upper-div, >200 grad student) with a pair of Advanced Placement scores in English Language/Composition and Literature/Composition, so I missed that singular joy.

My girlfriend, on the other hand, went to the same school and took those classes (she started out in Engineering, Mechanical) and her opinion of Writing 1 was "if you had a good TA for your section, you might be able to spell 'Writing One' by the end of the semester."
Turns out it was a softie of a class, probably less strenuous than the AP classes I took in high school.

IMO, all the "broadening" requirements should also be a cutoff requirement. Meaning the classes should be tough enough that you have to work at it at least a bit, not that it's a filler so the school can say you've received a "well-rounded degree."
I think a solid 1/4 of my freshman class would have flunked or dropped out if the General Ed classes had presented a nominal academic challenge--which, IMO, they should have.
Then again, said AP scores (a whole pile of 'em) got me in past a lot of those classes. I still had to do a semester of a laboratory science (Biology of Disease was a good class, and taught by the Dean of Sciences as a bonus) and a few other things, but I started out with sophomore standing.

And like an idiot, I blew it anyway
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#30]
The amount of resources that are wasted on General Education is sickening.

Imagine what would happen if all that money wasn't borrowed and then spent to learn shit you likely won't remember, but instead
was used in the productive economy. You'd have more businesses that actually grow the economy and improve people's quality of live,
unlike college.

It'd be so much better if people could get there degrees in 2 years so they can start being a productive member of society earlier on.  
It would also be beneficial to them because they aren't addled with as much debt and aren't wasting as much time.

It will help them get a head start as they transition into wage slaves for the social security generation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:15:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Gen Ed classes are nothing more than a money maker for colleges. Going to gen Ed classes does not make you a well rounded person. Working and living in the real world makes you a well rounded person. I graduated with a bachelors in 2009. The classes I had to take for gen Ed were so pointless and did not pertain to my major at all. Learning about classical jazz, reading horrible "classic" literature, taking classes by professors whose main hobby is drug use does not add to education at all.

I agree that people in ccollege should have education in math, language, and science, but that is what high school was for.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Most people start college only thinking they know what they want to major in.  Taking genEd classes introduces them to stuff they don't know about.  But there are to many math classes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Most people start college only thinking they know what they want to major in.  Taking genEd classes introduces them to stuff they don't know about.  But there are to many math classes.
View Quote

It also introduces them to shitloads of debt.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Shows what I know. My university calls it Core, not general education, and no, those should be there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Imagine what would happen if all that money wasn't borrowed and then spent to learn shit you likely won't remember, but instead
was used in the productive economy. You'd have more businesses that actually grow the economy and improve people's quality of live,
unlike college.

It'd be so much better if people could get there degrees in 2 years so they can start being a productive member of society earlier on.  
It would also be beneficial to them because they aren't addled with as much debt and aren't wasting as much time.

It will help them get a head start as they transition into wage slaves for the social security generation.
View Quote

You're talking about a vocational school or tech school, not college or university.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

So I should have to pay more money to take useless classes so other people can figure themselves out?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I wish there was a gen ed class called "Don't drink, bang fatties and waste thousands of dollars on classes you'll get shit grades in because you're drinking and hogging"
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Stupid question

Liberal arts and general education are crucial to a well rounded education.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#41]
yes  but they wont because college is now all about making money not education.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You're talking about a vocational school or tech school, not college or university.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

unlike college.

oh.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:35:37 PM EDT
[#43]
College is college, vocational training is vocational training.

College is harder and more vast/encompassing for a reason.

ETA:  this from a vocational school grad who is now in college.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
yes  but they wont because college is now all about making money not education.
View Quote

Exactly.

My 300 and 400 level professors always said that college is a joke and the only reason they were teaching was because it paid so well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I took over half of my General Education units at the local community college.

The purpose of General Ed is to become better informed about a variety of subjects and a more well-rounded person.

Many of my fellow students desperately needed to learn about more than just their rather narrow major fields.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where do y'all come up with this crap? College is absolutely vocational training ever since certain vocations started requiring a college degree. Go try to practice engineering without a degree.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:45:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Where do y'all come up with this crap? College is absolutely vocational training ever since certain vocations started requiring a college degree. Go try to practice engineering without a degree.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done all the time. I personally know several PE's with no degree. Also of note should be the fact that engineering is a profession, not a vocation. There's a difference.

The number of ideas arfcom has in common with Lenin and Marx is astounding, for claiming to be opposed to such individuals.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I took over half of my General Education units at the local community college.

The purpose of General Ed is to become better informed about a variety of subjects and a more well-rounded person.

Many of my fellow students desperately needed to learn about more than just their rather narrow major fields.
View Quote

No, they didn't. Learning 15th Century Poetry or taking Introduction to Feminist Thought is not "needed" if they are working on an Electrical Engineering degree.

Thankfully my major allowed me to skip over BS Gen-Ed courses. Of course that meant instead of taking Freebie Class 101 I got stuck in 300-level sciences.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Done all the time. I personally know several PE's with no degree.

The number of ideas arfcom has in common with Lenin and Marx is astounding, for claiming to be opposed to such individuals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done all the time. I personally know several PE's with no degree.

So do I. You miss my point. They were grandfathered in because states used to allow experience to qualify for exam. To my knowledge (granted I've only reviewed a limited number of states' laws) current laws do not allow you to sit for exam without a degree. There is talk in AL of requiring so many hours of masters level work but the board keeps deferring the decision.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top