Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 9:23:51 AM EDT
I am in the process of building a new pawn shop. I already have a pawnbrokers license and FFL. The building is nearly complete and we are thinking we will open within the next 30-60 days pending inspections. I have people stopping in all the time telling me that they are looking for work and they would like a job when we are open.

I have the staff that I need in order to run the store for the first 6 months to 1 year. I hope to grow the business and at some point in the future I will need additional staff.

I need to formulate a rock solid hiring policy and I not sure about all of the legalities. I want to adhere to any laws so I thought GD would be a good place to ask!!!

A few questions:
Is it lawful to require background check and deny employment to anyone with a felony criminal history?
What about drug testing?
Can you give me some good resources to find out more information?

Thank you
jonblack
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Anybody here run a gun shop or a pawn shop? If so, can you share some insight regarding your hiring policy?

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am in the process of building a new pawn shop. I already have a pawnbrokers license and FFL. The building is nearly complete and we are thinking we will open within the next 30-60 days pending inspections. I have people stopping in all the time telling me that they are looking for work and they would like a job when we are open.

I have the staff that I need in order to run the store for the first 6 months to 1 year. I hope to grow the business and at some point in the future I will need additional staff.

I need to formulate a rock solid hiring policy and I not sure about all of the legalities. I want to adhere to any laws so I thought GD would be a good place to ask!!!

A few questions:
Is it lawful to require background check and deny employment to anyone with a felony criminal history?
What about drug testing?

Thank you
jonblack
View Quote

Law or no law I would not have a felon working for me.
And since there will be firearms there to be pawned and sold no way a felon belongs there.
Better consult with an employement attorney.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I wanted to bump this and see if I can get some insight from you guys with similar businesses.

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
You're asking GD for advice on this? I always thought Pawn shop guys have a "buddy" of theirs they can call in to help with decisions.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wanted to bump this and see if I can get some insight from you guys with similar businesses.

jonblack
View Quote

We own a pawnshop.  

Do not hire friends its a good way to lose them.

What you want is a middle-aged men or women without criminal records and reasonable credit score (excluding Medical).  They will show up on time, you will be able to count on them and they won't be making deals out back or at WalMart with your regular customers.

Do cut your employees good deals on some of the merchandise that comes in on occasion, say cost (financing plus loan) plus 10% (use reasonable discretion here).

If you intend on passing it down to your kids, let them get experience working for someone else so they have a basis for comparison....

You will need to have a tolerance for sob stories and derpitude.  Learn to laugh and watch your six everyone will "know" you have cash and stuff they want.

Edit:  It will be tempting to keep your regulars paying forever on some item once we reach a certain level of profit on something we on occasion tell them to just come and get it.  It keeps them coming back and amazingly it will be back in your shop the next week anyway.

Edit2:  Most thieves will not use a pawnshop to get rid of stolen items UNLESS they are family of the person the stole from then they will.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:18:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We own a pawnshop.  

What you want is a middle-aged men or women without criminal records and reasonable credit score (excluding Medical).  They will show up on time, you will be able to count on them and they won't be making deals out back or at WalMart with your regular customers.

Do cut your employees good deals on some of the merchandise that comes in on occasion, say cost (financing plus loan) plus 10% (use reasonable discretion here).

If you intend on passing it down to your kids, let them get experience working for someone else so they have a basis for comparison....

You will need to have a tolerance for sob stories and derpitude.  Learn to laugh and watch your six everyone will "know" you have cash and stuff they want.

Edit:  It will be tempting to keep your regulars paying forever on some item once we reach a certain level of profit on something we on occasion tell them to just come and get it.  It keeps them coming back and amazingly it will be back in your shop the next week anyway.

Edit2:  Most thieves will not use a pawnshop to get rid of stolen items UNLESS they are family of the person the stole from then they will.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

jonblack

We own a pawnshop.  

This.
And consult your attorney if you have not done so already.

one final thing, if you can keep it from smelling like rotten bum ass, that would be great.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A few questions:

What about drug testing?

Thank you

jonblack
View Quote

of course you can deny if they fail a backgorund check and/or drug test.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Lacoochee

Thank you. That seems like solid advice.

I am not without experience in the day-to-day activities of running a pawn shop. I am just unfamiliar with the laws regarding hiring.

jonblack

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top