Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2002 5:39:36 PM EDT
while checking out this thread: [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=161583]Favorite movie battle scenes?[/url], 5.1 was mentioned.

do you use the PCM cable (coaxial, RCA) or the Fiber Optic audio cables between your various components? (dvd, cd, etc..)

and do/have you found a better performer out of one or the other?

while on the "topic" how about speaker cable, you go with "whatever" or "Monster" type?

I'm using regular old speaker cable, a heavier gauge than supplied by OEM and a PCM cable between dvd and cd to my rx.

[i][red]oh cr@p, I hit the return or some other button, and didnt finish the poll like I wanted to...#$%^&*[/red][/i]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the audio industry, and we mostly laugh at the suckers who spend tons of money on Monster cable. There's a big psychological effect of those high dollar cables, though. I remember seeing a special 'audiophile' grade wall duplex receptacle being sold at a trade show a few years back. The thing was gold plated, extra low resistance, etc. The thing was being sold for more the $100!!!! Yet the wiring in most peoples houses is plain old romex spliced together with $.01 wirenuts. That's if you have a newer house. Most old houses have tons of receptacles linked together, with really nasty wiring. I bet that they sold tons of the $100 receptacles, though.

Audio-wise, it's a bit different in Pro-audio, since we use balanced cables to interconnect all our stuff, and nature of balanced audio reduces signal degredation. If you use decent quality audio and video cables, and steer away from the el-cheapo crap that comes with most pieces of gear, you'd be ok without having to take out a second mortgage to buy a set of Monster cables. We use 12/2 Belden 5000UE wiring to hook up all of our speakers, sometimes stepping up to 10 gauge for long runs. The Belden 5000UE costs us like 15 cents / foot. Maybe if you hooked up plain 12 gauge wiring and monster cable to an analyzer, you could detect a slight difference, but I can't ever remember any premium cable company doing that! Hmmm... why not!

We sell this fiber optic cabling that's really inexpensive, yet does a great job. The monster cable fiber was like $60+, and the stuff that I have was like $5 or less. Maybe it wouldn't work as well for everyone, but with digital, it usually works 100% or not at all.

Don't get me started about Bose!!!!

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#2]
no highs, no lows, it must be Bose!

I work for an AV contractor as well...  Those cables are a fricking ripoff.  There's nothing that Monster cable can do that a piece of 12/2 from West Penn or Belden can't.

QS
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Monster cables are a waste of money.

Use component hookups (3 separate connections) for video whenever possible.

I just buy the low budget stuff from Best Buy.  I can't remember the brand name but it's about a third of the cost of Monster.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#4]
If you use the s/pdif connections, be sure to get 75 ohm video or digital audio cable, not regular RCA cable. The regular RCA analog cables can't handle the bandwidth of digital audio signals, and can cause clocking problems.

As far as the Monster stuff, in most cases it probably is a waste of money. As long as you use well shielded cable, your OK.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Bose... better sound through marketing

Now... I will say reluctantly... that I do have a set of those Bose Acoustimass 3 speakers as my surround channel. It's a bit anemic, but since I spend all my money on guns and ammo... not much room to replace them. I was young and stupid!

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#6]
since the topic is about audio system,im having some problems with my hook up.
I got the Sony home theater system my tuner sound is good,if i play a audio cd in my dvd player it has good sound,but if im watching tv/digital cable or watching a dvd the sound is low I have to turn it almost all the way up to get it hearable.
I have a dvd hook up and digital cable hook up to to receiver.
I hook it up per instuctions.is the normal for the tv and dvd sound to be low, and not as loud as the tuner or cd played thru dvd?
hopefully someone understand what im trying to type out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
A digital signal is a digital signal, whether passed through Toslink or coax.  I have both, and you can't tell a difference between the two, as long as the coax is a good quality cable.

FYI, it's cheaper to make your own quality cables:

[url]http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm[/url]

and here's a little reading on speaker wire:

[url]http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm#alllowcost[/url]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I use RCA connections for everything except from the wall to my digital cable box. The ONLY fiber cable I have is from my DVD player to my receiver. The ONLY reason I did this was because I only required one fiber cable and it would allow me to test the quality.  That one fiber cable was REALLY expensive.

I do recommend high quality RCA cables but fiber is not necessary.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Mosnter is actually the low end stuff in the high end snake oil cable business.

Pay attention to Andrewy's advice and save your money on those phony, placebo, audio cable - it's all marketing and psychological.

If you don't believe me, go audition several top-notch brands against an ordinary electrical wire from Home Depot and see if you could distinguish the difference in a blind listening test.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top