Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2002 2:18:08 PM EDT
If I didn't read it....

[url=www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/page.cfm?objectid=12482476&method=full&siteid=89488]ARCHERY CHAMP IS KILLED BY OWN BOW[/url]
AN international archery star died after accidentally shooting himself in the face with his bow.

Father-of-four Douglas Mitchell, 58, sustained massive head injuries while he was adjusting a new bow and arrow.

The Great Britain team member was in his workshop when part of it flew off and struck him.

The bizarre accident happened yards from his home and he was able to walk inside to ask his wife Shena for help.

She drove him to nearby Crieff Cottage Hospital, Perthshire, then he was moved to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee after the accident on Friday, December 13.

But his injuries were so serious that surgeons were unable to operate and he died a week before Christmas.
View Quote
snip
(His wife) Shena said: "He loved archery. He wouldn't want anybody to think after what happened that archery should be licensed."
View Quote
Oh boy. More government regulation to protect people from themselves?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
How? ... I mean ... if you load the arrow and... I mean how? if the arrow is ...

OH Fuckit... nevermind.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
READ IT!!

It sounds like a compound bow let loose....

NOT AN ARROW!!

Compound bows under strain ( he was tinkering with it) are BOMBS waiting to go off.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:40:18 PM EDT
[#3]
You do not need a [strike]Rambow[/strike]Rambo style bow. It fires arrows with explosives and you need explosive licenses. Ban bows held by Stallone!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
iirc, target bows are recurve, not compound.

edit:

nevermind...sounds like some kind of "sporting clays" for bows he was involved in...not match target shooting.

Link Posted: 12/27/2002 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#6]
well you would recall INCORRECTLY...

LOL!!

There are separate divisions...

Stick to being the AK god!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It could have been a recurve or a compound. Both are used as target bows.

Bow tuning can involve placing the bow in a clamping device and drawing back the string. It is possible that he had a spring scale, trigger release, or a t-square device on the string and was looking at it from the front of the bow when it let loose. It is also possible that he had an arrow in it and was looking at it from the front and an arrow shot through his head.

There is just now way of telling what happened from the article.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Horribly written article. It's just alot of words that dont really tell you anything. The person writing it I would be willing to bet has never even seen a compound bow. I do not think it was an arrow that hit him, I think it was one of the limbs of the bow.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Horribly written article. It's just alot of words that dont really tell you anything. The person writing it I would be willing to bet has never even seen a compound bow. I do not think it was an arrow that hit him, I think it was one of the limbs of the bow.
View Quote
Surely you don't expect weapon's expertise from a member of the 5th column?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top