Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2002 12:35:42 AM EDT
Drudge Report yesterday had a report about a 12 year old boy who was shot by PA state troopers. The kid was shot after a car chase & the kid WAS RUNNING AWAY!!!!!

I guess we should all know how dangerous a 12 year old kid is while running away from us?

State trooper PR folks declined to comment. Imagine that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
The kid was running??? Maybe he was a violent kid and deserved to be shot... give us more details. Remember, Malvo is only 17...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe the kid had illegal pre-ban donuts and was carry a Glock in a poorly made holster?

SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:01:26 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]www.thewgalchannel.com/news/1856951/detail.html[/url]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#4]
You know I feel like an idiot.  I thought of Chivas Regal when I read the topic.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You know I feel like an idiot.  I thought of Chivas Regal when I read the topic.  
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe the kid had illegal pre-ban donuts and was carry a Glock in a poorly made holster?

SGtar15
View Quote

Nah it must have been a Jennings, they are better than Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#8]
well bobcole...
maybe next time when he is running away in a car maybe he will kill you or a family member...then come back and post.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#9]
was he wearing marpat cammo?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#10]
IBTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, this really sux arse.  No winners in this one.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the Pgh area and heard this on the news last night. Had a preacher on and such. Guess he was a good kid just made a bad decision. As far as I can tell the incident happened in the afternoon? Shooting supposedly happeded during a foot chase nd the officer "accidently" shot the kid in the back. Unfortunate someone at the age of not making the wisest decisions, 12yrs old, won't be able to learn from this one. I've heard it was a neighbors car he took. I must admit I'm guilty of takig a car without permission while under age. Granted it was always a relatives vehicle and I never got caught, but I think getting shot in the back is a bit extreme.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm in the Pgh area and heard this on the news last night. Had a preacher on and such. Guess he was a good kid just made a bad decision. As far as I can tell the incident happened in the afternoon? Shooting supposedly happeded during a foot chase nd the officer "accidently" shot the kid in the back. Unfortunate someone at the age of not making the wisest decisions, 12yrs old, won't be able to learn from this one. I've heard it was a neighbors car he took. I must admit I'm guilty of takig a car without permission while under age. Granted it was always a relatives vehicle and I never got caught, but I think getting shot in the back is a bit extreme.
View Quote

That sounds like the officer running with finger on the trigger.  It will shake out eventually.  Isn't this like one of the "nighmare scenarios" that they train on?  Footchase and perp turns with a gun and fires?  
Like I posted before, there are no winners in this one.

Edited to eliminate some ass-umptions...  
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
he was a good kid just made a bad decision.
View Quote

Yeah, that's the strange part. Those kids always have been the best kids on the block, loving and caring, and they all wanted to become doctors.

Picture search at Google...

[img]http://www.post-gazette.com/images2/20021227smEllerbe_175.jpg[/img]

Oh, no! It's a black kid. Who'da thunk?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#14]
is his head really all screwed up like that? wow what a freak.

but let me see here, steal a car, get shot for trying to get away, sounds reasonable
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

but let me see here, steal a car, get shot for trying to get away, sounds reasonable
View Quote

you're kidding ... running from cops dosen't merit deadly force. If that was the case, then people would be shot by cops all the damn time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

you're kidding ... running from cops dosen't merit deadly force. If that was the case, then people would be shot by cops all the damn time.
View Quote

In the last ten years, every time I see cops chasing somebody on foot, they have a hell of a time catching them because they insist on running with guns drawn, like some sort of talisman to ward off evil or something.

When I used to have to run from the cops (13-15years old running from beer parties and whatnot) if they had anything in their hands, it was a great big nightstick to smack you upside the head with!  But they rarely bothered with that, unless you got lippy! [BD]

Maybe it's just a sign of the times....back then kids just didn't try to blow away a cop either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well some of you may remember the post I had up a couple of months ago about my gun charges for a repo that went bad. If the cop skates on this I want a new hearing and I didn't even shoot anyone. Killing a 12yr old for taking a neighbors car DOES NOT WARRANT BEING SHOT IN THE BACK!!!!! Fargin bastages I'm still pissed about the outcome of my situation. I showed them though..went out the next day and picked up 4 new toys.
R2K out
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
well bobcole...
maybe next time when he is running away in a car maybe he will kill you or a family member...then come back and post.
View Quote

So you think it's ok to shoot him as he's running away, unarmed, on foot? Am I clear on your point there?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#19]
                                                    I say anyone caught stealing someone's vehicle.

Sould be shot!

Just like the old West. Steal a horse. Get Hung.

If this happened. Then our insurance would go way down.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/news/s_109913.html[/url]

Fayette boy shot in back by cops

By Matthew Junker
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, December 27, 2002

Two days after police shot and killed 12-year-old Michael Ellerbe, an autopsy confirmed his family's contention that the boy was shot in the back as he ran from a vehicle in a Uniontown alley on Dec. 24.

A woman who identified herself only as Rene, Ellerbe's stepmother, said police told her that her son was shot in the back.

"They said that the only shots fired were by police," she said Thursday.

"I don't even want justice. I want the truth," said Michael Hickenbottom, the boy's father.

Fayette County Coroner Dr. Phillip E. Reilly told Hickenbottom that an autopsy in Pittsburgh yesterday confirmed the entrance wound was in the child's back. The bullet passed through Michael's heart, causing his death.

State police would not comment on which trooper fired the fatal shot until ballistics tests are done to match bullet fragments taken from the child's body to a gun.

The state police have put troopers Juan Curry and Samuel Nasssan on administrative duty pending completion of an investigation into the 2:30 p.m. shooting.

State police have not released any additional information, including whether authorities believed Ellerbe was armed.

According to police, Ellerbe was driving a stolen vehicle when he encountered police.

He allegedly crashed the vehicle in the alley between Cleveland and Murray avenues, then fled on foot. He was shot during the foot pursuit and was pronounced dead at The Uniontown Hospital.

Hickenbottom said he was told the chase involved a truck, but he did not believe his son knew how to drive. "To me, it's ridiculous that he was driving a truck and driving it so good that the chase lasted over a mile," he said.

Reilly said he plans to convene an inquest into the shooting on Jan. 29.

"Because of the various (conflicting) reports of the shooting, I will hold an inquest," he said.

Following the autopsy, which was performed by Allegheny County Coroner Cyril Wecht, Reilly said Ellerbe was "lean, lanky and a little bit tall" and added that he could probably pass for 15 years of age. Hickenbottom said he thought his son was about 5-foot-3.

Remembering his son yesterday, Hickenbottom sobbed, saying, it "destroyed" him when he saw his son's body on a hospital table.

"I need some answers. I just don't know what went on," the boy's father said.

Rene said her stepson was a good boy.

"Michael wasn't a bad kid, and that car wasn't stolen," she said.

According to Rene, the vehicle was driven by another person, and Ellerbe was along for the ride. She said the owner, whom she did not name, reported the vehicle stolen when it was not returned on time.

Ellerbe attended New Direction School, a church school located in Perryopolis, Fayette County.

Tina Whitehead, who taught Ellerbe in an after-school program, said he was respectful.

"He's a nice kid with an impish grin - he liked to tease. We trusted him. He shoveled our walk and mowed our lawn last summer," she said.

Ellerbe had been living with his father in Uniontown for about two years since moving from his mother's home in South Carolina. Hickenbottom's mother, Mary Gibson, described her grandson as a sixth-grader who had a short attention span but was polite and helpful.

"He was a very pleasant child," Gibson said, after opening the Christmas present the boy had gotten for her: a picture frame which she said will hold a photo of him.

District Attorney Nancy Vernon said she is awaiting results of the investigation before making any comment.

"Other than the fact that it's a very tragic event and it's under investigation, I have nothing to say at this time," she said.

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Sad!
I started to reply to a couple of assinine (sp?) posts above, but given I'm a newbie, I'll make more enemies [B)] than friends [:)]

I will say the Malvo (see above post) case and this one are two totally different situations. Malvo should receive the ultimate punishment if he is the shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top