Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2002 11:57:55 AM EDT
Thinking about taking two weeks off and going on a road trip. I would be entering through International Falls, MN. I've been across the border a couple of times on canoe trips thru the boundary waters. Other than that I've never really explored up there. What are the must sees and the places to avoid?

A guy at work told me that the farther north you go the more people speak French and that in some areas they speak French exclusively. Is this true?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd probably never make it past the strip bars in Toronto so I wouldn't be much help.

Did you know that a $10 table dance is really only like $6.50?  How cool is that -
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A guy at work told me that the farther north you go the more people speak French and that in some areas they speak French exclusively. Is this true?
View Quote

It's not the further north you go.  It's the province of Quebec.  And yes, English is very much their second language in Quebec.

I met some Quebecoise college girls travelling in Europe, and I was really amazed at how poorly they spoke English. Also suprised at their Quebec nationalism.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not interested in visiting any stinking country that doesn't allow its citizens to own firearms.  I'll stay in Texas.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds cool and is something I've always wanted to do.  Actually farther east and north from where you are the more French
View Quote

Not quite true.  East of Quebec you find Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI.....all farthest est Canadian provinces and all Anglophone.  Quebec is the the francophone zone. Neither farthest north nor farthest east..  The Ohio of Canada.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#6]
New Brunswick is very french. You will find towns there and in Ontatio that are mostly french speaking.
My hometown, North Bay, in northern Ontario was surrounded by french towns.
I believe there are also french enclaves out west also.
Smalltown people in Quebec are great. Its the assholes in the big cities.
Same as wherever you go.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Venerated...

If you go through International Falls (which is actually a toll booth owned by a paper mill) you will be in the middle of NOWHERE.

This can be adventageous to you IF all you want to do is see awesome wildlife like moose, eagles and bears.

It is swampy and kinda flat up there.

If you want to see people, go up through the Michigan U.P. and cross at Sault St Marie and head EAST.

If you want to see a mix of cool ice and bumpier land, cross at Grand Portage, MN and head-up through Thunder Bay and go East.

The only thing worth seeing between Vancouver and Toronto is Thunder Bay, and that's not saying a whole lot.

Personally, if I had 2 weeks to waste, I would fly into Vancouver BC, rent a car and head North towards the Yukon.

I've been all over Canada. Why, I don't know.

Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What time of year are you planning on visiting? If your thinking of coming right now..pack your long underwear and snow shoes!
Quebec is the french only place. However..Montreal isn't to bad. Lots of "brass pole" bars and it is an old city. Lots of interesting things to see. If you travel east you will see some beautiful country although right now isn't a great time to sight see. The weather around here can go to hell in a hurry and if your not experienced driving in snow storms on slippery roads, you should wait until the spring or summer.
There is some great canoeing around here. Lots of rivers and lakes.
this web site might help.
[url]http://www.travelcanada.ca/travelcanada/app/index.jsp[/url]
View Quote

He's from Wisconsin. I'm guessing he can drive pretty good in a snow storm!
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What time of year are you planning on visiting? If your thinking of coming right now..pack your long underwear and snow shoes!
Quebec is the french only place. However..Montreal isn't to bad. Lots of "brass pole" bars and it is an old city. Lots of interesting things to see. If you travel east you will see some beautiful country although right now isn't a great time to sight see. The weather around here can go to hell in a hurry and if your not experienced driving in snow storms on slippery roads, you should wait until the spring or summer.
There is some great canoeing around here. Lots of rivers and lakes.
this web site might help.
[url]http://www.travelcanada.ca/travelcanada/app/index.jsp[/url]
View Quote

He's from Wisconsin. I'm guessing he can drive pretty good in a snow storm!
View Quote

Yep. I'm right on the WI/MN border near Lake Superior. Around here we it seems like we have 8 months of winter and I've seen it as low as 85 below some years. Anyway, that UP Michigan route sounds like fun Devil. Hadn't considered that. I've been up towards Grand Marais on the north shore of MN (fished along the Gunflint Trail) and that route is just too boring. Thanks to all for the advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top