Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2002 8:45:56 PM EDT
It seems I am to inherit a vintage M2 carbine. The application and chief LEO paperwork are in the works. Is it be legal to convert it to a semi auto only or does it have to remain in its orig configuration? Would M1 parts even work?

Lebrew
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Our buddies in the ATF tend to say 'once a machine gun, always a machine gun.'  If the receiver says M2 on it, then it's an NFA item.  You can convert it to semi, but it won't change anything legally.

As the proud owner of a minty Standard Products carbine, enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
ditto on what Mr Camera man says.  Once a machinegun, always a machinegun.  

I'd get some 30 round mags and enjoy it.  I'm sure you could convert it to semi, but why bother knowing what you know now?  

:)

Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure about the once a machine gun always a machine gun thing. What about the semi-auto Browning 1919's and BAR's that you can build from parts kits?
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not sure about the once a machine gun always a machine gun thing. What about the semi-auto Browning 1919's and BAR's that you can build from parts kits?
View Quote

The side plate or reciever has been demilled.It is no longer a firearm.When you make a new reciver you start from scratch.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:04:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The above are correct that "once a machine gun, always a machine gun".  If for some reason you want to disable the full auto feature, you can do so by simply removing the selector and it's spring. The result will be semi auto fire only, and of course you can restore select fire by simply reinstalling the selector and spring [:D]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I leached some diagrams.
Thanks for the info
Lebrew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top