Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2002 11:26:28 PM EDT
In basic, when doing firearms training do you use eye and ear protection?  Just watching Emerey on Mail Call and he never uses any protection when using weapons.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Ear protection.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Just ear protection....It was uncomfortable, but apparently it is worth it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 12:26:24 AM EDT
[#3]
hearing protection for live fire.  if it involved anything else (including blanks), none of that stuff.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Nope, never used either. But looking back now I would definetly have used ear plugs of some sort, at least during exercises.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 6:54:03 AM EDT
[#6]
In the Army we were required to wear our K-pot, leather gloves, and ear plugs for live fire.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
On active duty, I was normally required to wear Kevlar, LBV/LBE, hearing protection, and usually PASGT body armor - this was overseas and much of the push to qualify with PASGT FLAK vest was the "train as you fight" concept. Its a pain in the ass wearing body armor in the prone though. Some of the safety requirements are BS - just military attempts to cover themselves from liability if something weird happens. As far as eye protection - I rarely used it - it usually got in the way if nothing else. When shooting live rounds, I'd advise hearing protection - you'll thank yourself later in life. Just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't remember any hearing protection during my time in the Corps during the seventies, never had any to stick in my ears as we departed the chopper in a hot lz. I was in 81mm and 60mm mortars the most common reply to any question was "HUHH" what'd you say?. Then I switched to Field Artillery in the eighties and they gave us ear plugs. Then on to Armor in the nineties but had helmets with the speakers in the ear muffs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Ear protection. On the range and when working on running helos, both.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends, if im just doing some .22 plinking, then no protection, if I going to be shooting bigger stuff for a long period of time, ear protection.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  I don't recall seeing eye or ear protection whenever basic is shown on TV.  I would think it would be mandatory these days with everyone's predilection to sue for any little thing.  Personally I would choose to use eye protection as well, cause you never know.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#12]
In Marine boot, we were "required" to wear it, but no one did because you couldn't hear anything going on. Same with the fleet. Kinda like OSHA "requiring" it in the workplace, but no one really bothers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top