Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2002 6:20:22 PM EDT
Finally upgraded my pc.  Got a new tower with all the modern goodies.  My 19" monitor and surround sound subwoofer/speaker system has me ready for some good games...

I don't know too much outside of Rogue Spear.  What's good?  Soldier of Fortune?  Medal of Honor?  Ghost Recon?

What are some of the real good action/shoot em up/mission type games out there?  Playing on line would be cool as well.  Thanks guys!

Viva la pc games!

~H
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!

Americas Army uses the new Unreal Tournament 2003 engine, and it's free:

Download: [url]http://www.3dgamers.com/games/americasarmy/#filelist[/url]
official site: Americasarmy.com
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got mine up and running.

FOR GOD SAKES GET A GOOD GRAPHICS CARD.

I'm using a three year old Voodoo2 and its only about 90% compatable with my new board. MY EYES. Every once in a while there will be a scene where there is a bright glair effect and the pixles are like neon pink.

ARGH.

Edited to add. Operation Flashpoint or the new WWII one "universe of battle" or whatever. Only FPS that you can nail your enemy, take his guns, and then steal his armor/aircraft/car/woman :)
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out [url]www.americasarmy.com[/url]

Here is my latest PC.
[img]http://home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00503.JPG[/img]
[img]http://home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00504.JPG[/img]

Its a customized Lian Li case with:
AMD XP 2000
512 MB PC2700
120gb Western Digital 8mb cache
blah blah blah!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Allied Assault, Medal of Honor has got to be the most addictive game I hve ever played... Good mix of tactics and action. You will like it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Here is my latest PC.
[url]http://home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00503.JPG[/url]
[url]http://home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00504.JPG[/url]

AMD XP 2000
512 MB PC2700
blah blah blah!
View Quote

looks like something out of an old buck rogers film.  I've also been thinking about doing the neon thing. What did you use to cut the case? does home depot sell plexiglass? is that the same neon they sell at Autozone? how'd you connect it? thx.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Those are cold cathodes sold at [url]www.pcmods.com[/url].  They come with the power supply that plugs right into the pc power supply.  I cut the case with a dremel tool and the fiberglass reinforced cutting wheels.  The case is aluminum so it went really well.  I went with 1/4" plate glass because plexi glass can discolor and scratches easy.  I drilled holes through the case and used 1/4" mirror hanging brackets on the inside.  I'll take a pic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Here are some closer pics of the cold cathodes. The reason everyone is using cold cathodes now is because the run cooler and use less poer.  I also took a picture of the plate glass mount.
[img]home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00505.JPG[/img]
[img]home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00506.JPG[/img]
[img]home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00507.JPG[/img]

The stuff around the edge of the glass is silicone.  I just wanted to seel the glass.

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is my latest PC.
[url]http://home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00503.JPG[/url]
[url]http://home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00504.JPG[/url]

AMD XP 2000
512 MB PC2700
blah blah blah!
View Quote

looks like something out of an old buck rogers film.  I've also been thinking about doing the neon thing. What did you use to cut the case? does home depot sell plexiglass? is that the same neon they sell at Autozone? how'd you connect it? thx.
View Quote

The real question is, what the hell are the 6 toggle switches (complete with indicator lights) for?  I'm thinking some kind of latter-day Turbo button or maybe nitrous...

[b]Edit[/b] to say:  Nice hijack schapman43.  Congrats Hokie.  Myself, I'm hopelessly addicted to World War II Online.  It doesn't sport the eye candy of other games, but the gameplay is unparalleled, if you ask me.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The switches on the top have 3 positions, High, low and off.  When the fans
are at high speed they are red, low speed blue, and off is off.  One of the
switches on the bottom controls the lighting.  The others will control the pneumatics for openin the door :)  Should be entertaining.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are the components for opening the doors.  The bigger cylinders will open heavier door with glass and the smaller ones will open the door which doesnt have glass.
[img]home.attbi.com/~schapman43/images/case/DSC00508.JPG[/img]

Man I'm a big geek!  Sorry to hijack your thread Hokie.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks neat schapman.  Nice system.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I just had a new box delivered too.

Got a PIV 2.4ghz box and a 512meg(640megs total system RAM) stick of PC2700 DDR ram.

From my old system I installed my Geforce 4 4400Ti and my Soundblaster 5.1 surround card.

New PC is getting over double the frame rates of my old system running 32bit color mode with 1600x1200 resolution, 50-60frames per second with my new machine compared to 25-30fps with my old machine doing 16bit 1600x1200.

Old machine is going to be used as a small server machine once I get it connected to the web this week.    New machine kicks butt though, smokin fast.    I mostly play driving games though, Need For Speed Porche Unleashed or Motor City Online.    Occasionally I play some Battlefield 1942 though and that game is just a riot.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
oh so those are cathode. great pics schapman.  thanks for the link :)
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]
You must get Operation Flashpoint.

You play soldiers fighting in a hypothetical war between the US and USSR in 1985.  It's a first person shooter, but you can pilot aircraft, drive vehicles like tanks, be either American or Soviet. There's a vast array of small arms to choose from.

There are three expansion packs, with a Russian campaign, Resistance campaign, and Gold update.  Multiplayer works very well, too.

I have Medal of Honor and Ghost Recon.  Those discs gather dust.  Opflash is so much better. It's one of the best games I have ever played. Check it out here: [url]http://www.flashpoint1985.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
nice guys!  NICE!

I must have them all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You must get Operation Flashpoint.

You play soldiers fighting in a hypothetical war between the US and USSR in 1985.  It's a first person shooter, but you can pilot aircraft, drive vehicles like tanks, be either American or Soviet. There's a vast array of small arms to choose from.

There are three expansion packs, with a Russian campaign, Resistance campaign, and Gold update.  Multiplayer works very well, too.

I have Medal of Honor and Ghost Recon.  Those discs gather dust.  Opflash is so much better. It's one of the best games I have ever played. Check it out here: [url]http://www.flashpoint1985.com/[/url]
View Quote

After playing videogames for quite some time now, I've played almost all games out there.

Operation flashpoint IS THE ONLY game that still even remotely captures my attention.
It was the only game that I've played in some time that actually got my heart pumping and left me with wanting more.

I own all the expansions packs and there all worth it as well.

Just to put it into perspective, I've given ghost recon 3 different chances in the last  year but everytime, I laugh cause it just doesnt compair to operation flashpoint.

Most of the standard first person shooters will seem like childs play after op flash.

Not many know about this game is what kills me.

Edited to say: Imagine HUGE wide open levels, lots of ground combat, and then being able to trash around in different tanks, and then being able to fly helicoptor's and airplanes on same huge levels.  It's a really neat game.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Medal of Honor - Allied Assault
Medal of Honor - Spearhead
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Battlefield 1942
Iron Storm
and (old) Project IGI

all great FPS.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats on the new computer. Some games I would suggest are:

Battlefield 1942
UT2k3
Counterstrike

I play these games most because they are fun online games.

My current setup is as follows:

Athlon XP 2400+
Epox 8k9a2+
512mb Corsair PC 3200 DDR
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

I can post some pictures later of my case. I broke my cc tube so I dont have any lights in it right now.

Oz
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't know why no one has said it....but Delta Force - Task Force Dagger is my favorite.  Lots of neat (and real) weapons.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Im an OFP junkie myself. If they dont release OFP2, Virtual Battlefield System or Independance Lost i will start killing people for real. (J/K fed)

VBS by the way is OFP for the US Marine Core. Much better graphics and the character models look less gay. Helmets look nicer too.

If you get OFP, you had best visit Ballistic Add-on Studio's for some great add-ons. Also Maac & Maarfy have great stuff. Filo's M4's, SJB M4's-optics, SIG's Tanks-best tank back for OFP. [url]www.opflashpoint.org[/url] for other great add-ons. Including an F-14, F-15 strike Eagle, and Huey's.

I also play and enjoy GR.

Delta Force: BlackHawk Down was'nt bad, but im waiting for the XBOX version to i can talk smack to my friends.

In BHD mulitplayer you can ride the choppers around the level and arieal snipe the opposing team...provided they dont shoot down your chopper. .50 mounted hummies traverse about the level as well.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I think you would like MOHAA.

I have been playing MOHAA online for the past two months.

A'a is the best comparied to pahoehoe!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#22]
thats a bad ass case. whats all the switches for?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
thats a bad ass case. whats all the switches for?
View Quote

From above

The switches on the top have 3 positions, High, low and off. When the fans
are at high speed they are red, low speed blue, and off is off. One of the
switches on the bottom controls the lighting. The others will control the pneumatics for openin the door :) Should be entertaining.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you get OFP, you had best visit Ballistic Add-on Studio's for some great add-ons. Also Maac & Maarfy have great stuff. Filo's M4's, SJB M4's-optics, SIG's Tanks-best tank back for OFP. [url]www.opflashpoint.org[/url] for other great add-ons. Including an F-14, F-15 strike Eagle, and Huey's.
View Quote

Loved his tank pack with the T-90 and T-72 with reactive armor. I only wished you could use more than one gun on a vehicle independently.

The bugs and AI issues in OFP bug me though... you can't get a two or more helicopters or planes to fly long enough without crashing. And you can't get a single plane or helicopter to fly from one side of Nogova to the other. And unfortunately the netcode is to laggy to put real players on it (and you still run into the same problems anyway).

I spent alot of time fleshing out a storyline for a mod and even spent a boatload of time on custom classes but realized that the OFP engine just is too buggy to make it a reality.

Can't wait for OFP2 though.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#25]
If you are really in to the games, stop using the PC and get an XBOX.  I was told by a friend who is a computer hardware engineer that nothing will slow your computer down faster than a sophisticated, highly graphical video game.  However, this is not the only reason I use a XBOX for gaming.  The games for that console are amazing!  The first game you should get is Halo.  That game has it all.  Another new one I picked up recently is Splinter Cell.  Leave the PC for web surfing and other things it is intended for.  

[/b]GET AN XBOX AND LET THE GAMING BEGIN!![/b]
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just had a new box delivered too.

Got a PIV 2.4ghz box and a 512meg(640megs total system RAM) stick of PC2700 DDR ram.
View Quote

I just ordered the parts to build a new box yesterday. Sounds similar to what you have. Went with an Intel MB this time and the 2.5 ghz CPU. I'm stripping the drives out of the old box. I already forgot what the hell video card I ordered ;)
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#27]
You mean to say, price vs. what you get, XBOX is better.

Yes this is true, but in no way is XBOX better then a high end PC when it comes to games.

XBOX still has to deal with TV's with so many lines of resolution. So no matter what you tell, the graphics just aren't better.

Most games that come out for PS2 or XBOX, usually make their way to the PC. It can at times take longer.

If your a simple person that wants to games when their friends come over, yes XBOX is better.

But if you have to build a new PC anyway, throw in an extra $100-$200 and buy a good video card.

Then get broadband and kazaalite and download all your games for free.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Where did you get the pneumatic components?  What is "pumping them up"?
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Console games still have a way to go before they can approach PC games' depth and sophistication.

First of all, they're really limited by the console controller itself. Having a keyboard and mouse enables you to do so much more.

Second, as mentioned before, the kick ass graphics of XboX and other consoles is limited by TVs.

Third, do they have multiplayer internet connections for Xbox yet?

I have a friend who hates PC's and loves consoles.  When I list the above criticisms about the console's limitations he just says "It's comg.  They're working on that."  Why wait when you can have all that today in a PC?
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Console games still have a way to go before they can approach PC games' depth and sophistication.

First of all, they're really limited by the console controller itself. Having a keyboard and mouse enables you to do so much more.
View Quote

Yeah, no kidding. They're still selling consoles with controllers designed for games like Donkey Kong.
Second, as mentioned before, the kick ass graphics of XboX and other consoles is limited by TVs.
View Quote

I hear stuff all the time how consoles are "faster" than PCs yet they are only running at 640x480 and TV refresh rates VS today's PCs at 1280x1024 and 1600x1200. A 2 year old+ PC can easily match a console's resolution and graphics quality. Almost apples and oranges.
I have a friend who hates PC's and loves consoles.  When I list the above criticisms about the console's limitations he just says "It's comg.  They're working on that."  Why wait when you can have all that today in a PC?
View Quote

PC users have been enjoying multiplayer gaming without console's limitations for 10 years. We're still waiting for consoles to catch up. It's not going to happen. Consoles will always be one or two steps behind PCs as they have no upgradability. Not to mention the rediculous price of console games.
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]
not to mention the user made mods for the PC games.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where did you get the pneumatic components?  What is "pumping them up"?
View Quote

I got the components from ebay.  Just type in Bimba and you will find all kinds of stuff.  I will be using relay activated valves running off a 4oz CO2 paintball tank.  All functions will be controlled from the front of the case or from software through the serial port.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top