Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2002 1:02:09 PM EDT
I have an Emerson CQC-7 that I need to send back to get the blade replaced.  So I need something that is tough, yet will fit nicely in my pocket (my Emerson fits me perfectly)

give me some suggestions for a poll, and I will create one!

Thanks Guy & Gals

Blackdog
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Cold Steel Voyager.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Covert Folder

Designed to be your best friend in certain situations.

[img]http://www.gerberblades.com/images/products/05796.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I vote for Columbia River Knife and Tool M16-12Z, half serrated.  Mine's a tough knife, and looks nice too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
When I lost (temporarily) my Gerber Michel Walker design, I bought a CQC7. I saw your thread and was going to recommend the Emerson until I read your problem. The Gerber is a great knife and is somewhat larger than the Emerson. You might give it a try.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Chris Reeves Sebenza  The best but pricey
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Chris Reeves Sebenza  The best but pricey
View Quote

Is that a folder?  Got a link?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.chrisreeve.com/[/url]
[img]http://www.chrisreeve.com/computergraphic.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]www.striderknives.com[/url]

[url]www.usualsuspect.net[/url]

[smoke]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[url]www.striderknives.com[/url]

[url]www.usualsuspect.net[/url]

[smoke]
View Quote

Striders are great knives but there folders are tanks.

www.usualsuspect.net get me to a page that says I have to register.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Benchmade 710 SBT 154CM. Excellent.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to be an avid spyderco fan that is until my ex let me pick out a benchmade. Mine is a Mel Pardue design. Its a locking knife and when you open it and put stress on the blade there is very little play even after using for 3 years. The blade-handle tension is adjustable and there are no dowels that hold it together(all torx bolts). Best knife Ive ever seen/owned.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Covert Folder

Designed to be your best friend in certain situations.

[url]http://www.gerberblades.com/images/products/05796.gif[/url]
View Quote

I have one of these (the one on the right.)  I love it.  It's smooth, easy-handling and the black TiO finish is hard as hell- a lot more durable than Black T.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I just bought a CRKT M16-10. It has a nice thick 2.5 inch tanto blade, carbon fiber handle, screwed together, with a little removeable clip. Very light weight for a blade that stout, easy to carry around in slacks. I luv it!

BTW, got it at a recent gun show. Saw them originally marked around $80. One booth had them marked down from there to about $60, I got it from the place that had it marked down to $35.

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Cheap replacement: S&W HRT Magnesium. It's as fast as a switchblade to open, and only about $45. I just got one for my friend as a X-mas present, we both love it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Ditto on the CRKT M16.

Mine is the M16-13M and I love it. Tough little knife and with the flipper you can open it almost as quickly as an auto but without any legal concerns.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, you own the best folder on the market currently in production IMHO !
If you damaged the blade on that knife I would suggest something a little stouter. Check out www.bussecombat.com and look at a little gem called an " Assault Shaker". This little honey is a fixed blade 1/4 inch thick and total knife length is 5.5 inches in length. I don't think you can damage a Busse unless you use it for a welding rod !!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd recommend her.

[img]http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/8891.jpg[/img]

You said "Wife", right?
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#21]
"liberal, anti-gun, commie drug addict" girls can be fun for a while when you're young.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Anybody else like the Kershaw Ken Onion designed assisted opener?  Got one at Wal Mart for around $60, it's pretty slick.....light, tough, and hella sharp.  Pocket clip, and the handle is nicely sculpted...very comfortable worn in the pocket daily.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:47:56 AM EDT
[#24]
If you can still find them, the Wegner Spyderco knife is a great all around knife. It out shines the Emerson for usefulness and it has a working blade instead of the limited flat grind. I carried an Emerson for awhile, but I still had to carry another knife for every day use. The Wegner does everything you need a daily knife for and is big enough and strong enough to stand in as a fighter, if thats what you want. The Spyderco is a lot faster and easier to open than the Emerson too.

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=AK103K&album_id=110654&image_id=32&courtesy=1[/img]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:55:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I think Chris Reeves is an anti.  And he doesn't sell his knives directly to knife dealers who go to gunshows.

Too bad because I was gonna get that fly fishing one before.  It was like $450.00 or something.

Can anyone confirm????
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 2:58:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anybody else like the Kershaw Ken Onion designed assisted opener?  Got one at Wal Mart for around $60, it's pretty slick.....light, tough, and hella sharp.  Pocket clip, and the handle is nicely sculpted...very comfortable worn in the pocket daily.
View Quote

I think some "B" da just banned them somewhere in Texas or all of Texas.  I didn't know a da can ban things.

[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232526&highlight=potter[/url]
[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234377&highlight=illegal[/url]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:24:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I think some "B" da just banned them somewhere in Texas or all of Texas.  I didn't know a da can ban things.

[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=232526&highlight=potter[/url]
[url]http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=234377&highlight=illegal[/url]
View Quote

Very informative threads, thanks.  I wonder if any of these a-hole legislators and DA's ever had to open a knife one handed to cut the seatbelt of a crash victim?  Probably not.  That is what I bought mine for.  I am not LEO or an EMT, but I come across at LEAST one major crash every year on my commute.  Last year it was three.  Part of the reason why I also carry a fairly well stocked first aid kit in the truck as well.

Of course, they would probably just want me to call 911.....when it's freezing rain and the nearest sheriff deputy or EMS is 30 minutes away on glaze ice.

I'm getting pissed.  Gotta go.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:10:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Get a cheap ($10 or $20) folder that you can use, abuse, and lose without too many tears.

I love a fine knife, but I hate to carry one.  I do things with my knife that it was never intended to do, and I'd hate to mess up a quality blade.  Right now I'm carrying a knock-off of Ken Onion's Avalanche that I found for $8.00.  I bought five of them.

I subscribe to the same philosophy with cigar / pipe lighters.  I appreciate a nice one, but I tend to lose them, and carry them in my pocket with coins and stuff, and generally do all the things you're not supposed to do.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you can still find them, the Wegner Spyderco knife is a great all around knife. It out shines the Emerson for usefulness and it has a working blade instead of the limited flat grind. I carried an Emerson for awhile, but I still had to carry another knife for every day use. The Wegner does everything you need a daily knife for and is big enough and strong enough to stand in as a fighter, if thats what you want. The Spyderco is a lot faster and easier to open than the Emerson too.

View Quote

I have an Emerson CQC7A (the drop point version) It is tough as nails and opens in a flash. It's all in how you adjust the action.

The advantage Emerson's have over Benchmades. in my opinion, has nothing to do with blade geometry, handle materials, etc., but in the warranty.  Emerson knives can be field stripped and cleaned without voiding the warranty.  If you take apart a Benchmade, you are on your own. For a hard use knife, I expect to have to strip and thoroughly clean it a few times a year, and certainly after hunting seasons when I expect to have to clean dried blood, hair and other assorted crud out of the thing.

I am not a big fan of the tanto style blade and the chisel grind either.  It is often billed as a "sharpen one side only" blade and it isn't. To make an edge like that work at it's best you have to lap the flat side as well to remove the burr generated by sharpening the bevelled side.  If you have a black-t type finish this becomes a problem and eventually, you turn your chisel edge into a conventional edge by bevelling the other side of the blade as well to get rid of that burr without lapping. The drop point blade on my Emersonis sharpened conventionally.  

I also find the drop point to be easier to use on a daily basis than tanto points.

I am not a great fan of Spyderco Knives.  I destroyed a Delica without too much difficulty one day, snapping off the tip under conditions I would consider to be conventional daily abuse rather than abnormal abuse. And I managed to severely damge the handle as well. Epoxy eventually fixed the handle and I reground the tip of the knife to a rounder profile and turned it into a seatbelt rescue knife for the car, but It's not a knife I would want ina hard use environment.

I own a Gerber EZ-Out as well.  nice bargain priced knife.  Decent blade, good shape.  Not a fighter by any stretch (the handle is too flimsy to take high torque conditions). I still carry it when I need a lower profile knife than the Emerson.

I too would love to know what the original poster did to destroy the original blade in his Emerson.  Prying would seem like a leading contender to me.  No knife blade will stand up long to prying best left to a screwdriver or crowbar.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:48:45 AM EDT
[#31]
I also carry a Kershaw Ken Onion. I love the speed assist opening, in fact i bought 3 xtras to give as xmas gifts to my brothers. I find myself playing with it whenever Im bored...lol it will probably get me in trouble at work some day. I also have a Benchmade Mel Pardue folder that I carried for  a while and still use a lot. That is also an excellent carry knife.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:25:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I also carry a Kershaw Ken Onion. I love the speed assist opening, in fact i bought 3 xtras to give as xmas gifts to my brothers. I find myself playing with it whenever Im bored...lol it will probably get me in trouble at work some day. I also have a Benchmade Mel Pardue folder that I carried for  a while and still use a lot. That is also an excellent carry knife.
View Quote

Some states consider those to be switchblades...I may get one before they are banned here.

Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think Chris Reeves is an anti.  And he doesn't sell his knives directly to knife dealers who go to gunshows.

Too bad because I was gonna get that fly fishing one before.  It was like $450.00 or something.

Can anyone confirm????
View Quote

I think he is trying to keep the selling price of is knives high.  Gunshow dealers are almost always selling on a lower margin.  Many knife companies are doing the same thing both bencheaded and spyderco will not sell to you if you do not have a retail store.  Trust me I know this one very very well.  I have met Chris Reeves at shot show so I do not think he is anti gun.

Now Chris Reeves  is anti switch blade.  I fact he has insulted the owner of ProTech because he makes switch blades.
NoKarma
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can anyone confirm????
View Quote

I think he is trying to keep the selling price of is knives high.  Gunshow dealers are almost always selling on a lower margin.  Many knife companies are doing the same thing both bencheaded and spyderco will not sell to you if you do not have a retail store.  Trust me I know this one very very well.  I have met Chris Reeves at shot show so I do not think he is anti gun.

Now Chris Reeves  is anti switch blade.  I fact he has insulted the owner of ProTech because he makes switch blades.
NoKarma
View Quote

Oh ya, I remember that switchblade bit now.  I can't see why he hates auto's so much though.  Perhaps I got it mixed up.  Apologies to C-Reeves if he's one of us.

The thoughts of all these anti's are clouding my mind!  Soon I'll think everyone's and anti!

I'll have to confirm the gun part with the knife dealer I always deal with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top