Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2002 11:15:15 AM EDT
How do you do Country Ham? Here's our way.

Cooking a Country Ham

Clean country ham with brush and cold water.

Soak in cold water for at least one day.  Less if you like your ham salty or more if less salty.  Change water at least once.  (Best done in a cooler.)

One lard can with top needed for cooking of the ham.

Ingredients

2 Two liter bottles of ginger ale
1 Box of dark brown sugar
2 12 oz. cans of beer
1 Half gallon can of pineapple juice (we use unsweetened)

Mix all of the above in the lard can, add ham, fill lard can with cold water to cover ham by one inch.

Bring to a boil in covered lard can and continue to boil for at least 45 minutes.

Remove from heat.

Place lard can on a wooden surface covered with newspaper and towel.  Wrap newspaper around and over top of the lard can several times, securing with masking tape.  This will insulate the lard can and the cooking process will continue.  Wrap the can again with a blanket or two.  

Let it sit for 24 hours.

Uncover (will still be HOT) and remove ham from lard can.  Cut off fat and enjoy moist country ham. The way our family has done it for years. A hit at every party.

Best Wishes to ALL!

Will have pics, if interested write through this site.

Mrs. and Mr. Minuteman419
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good!!

Would using a big stock pot work just as well, or is there something about using a lard can?
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The top of the lard can fits pretty tight. I think this holds the heat in better myself. This is exactly the way her aunt has done it for years, many years. You could try it.

MM419
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Pics of the finished product?????[:D]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

In 23 hours.

Have pic of it when I checked it. Its all wrapped up now cooking itself. It will still be HOT tomorrow when unwrapped.

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=dfortune&album_id=97521&image_id=20&courtesy=1[/img]

I can't wait!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

In 23 hours.

Have pic of it when I checked it. Its all wrapped up now cooking itself. It will still be HOT tomorrow when unwrapped.

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=dfortune&album_id=97521&image_id=20&courtesy=1[/img]

I can't wait!
View Quote

Oh Yeah! Thats gonna be good[:P]

Don't forget the dinner gun in tomorrows pic[;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Well where are todays Ham Dinner Pics????? I've been waiting[;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
No doubt, I'm still licking my lips.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I like Ham, good  way to do it .
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Here we go. Plain and simple.

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=dfortune&album_id=97521&image_id=21&courtesy=1[/img]

Va. Country Ham on Toasted Wheat Bread. Plain because I don't know what you like.

ON THE SIDE

1924 Colt 1911 Improved and Locking Folder by P.J. Tomes of Shipman Va. Knifemaker and Friend.

Best Wishes to ALL @ar15.com

MM419
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I was thinking we'd see the whole ham when it was done, but I guess thats the way it goes[:D]

Thats a good start on the sandwich. Now add cheese,raw onion,lots of black pepper,lettuce and your choice of sauce. I'd probably put some holiandaze or mayonaise on it if it were me.Just what I'd do if it was me[:D]
Thats a nice 1911 you've got there. I've been looking for one between the years 1911 and 1945 myself. Have a Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:36:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I was thinking we'd see the whole ham when it was done, but I guess thats the way it goes[:D]

Thats a nice 1911 you've got there. I've been looking for one between the years 1911 and 1945 myself. Have a Merry Christmas
View Quote

Ok on the whole ham pic, I'll get it up shortly.

Here goes...[:P]

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=dfortune&album_id=97521&image_id=22&courtesy=1[/img]

On a 1911, it was one made in 1917 around here (friend) the other night. No bluing left, but a solid shooter. He wanted $500 for it. Too much for me.

Oh, sorry for poor pics, new camera, haven't figured it out yet.

Merry Christmas to you guys!

MM419
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top