Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2002 11:10:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait, we're talking about the UK here.  They think we're all a bunch of unciviized cowboys here.  But then, WE have guns.  Personal responsibility is not part of their equation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
i remember plastic bullets from the late 80's early 90's think they were called thunderzap. the box i had would not cycle a 1911 so i never got any more, but they were supposed to be the be all end all of stopping power because of the violent fragmentation upon impact yet were so light that a person could supposedly(so says those gun rags) catch one at 50 yards in their hands.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#3]
"No plastic bullet alternative"?  How about getting your fkng snaggle toothed Brit asses out of Ireland!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
RiffRandal,

I agree 100%!

McBalming
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I seem to remember some propaganda show,  20/20 or something similar, which showed a funeral of a guy killed by a water cannon.  Threw him into a pole or something.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps they should consider using Super Soaker 2000s.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The so called "plastic bullet" the Brits use is usually a 37mm or 40mm plastic baton. It was cutting edge technology in the 1960's, but is getting a little dated these days. Sounds like the RUC needs to pick up a DefTech catalog and do a little shopping; there are lots of impact rounds that have far less likelihood of causing serious injuries or death, and without seeing the specs on their current plastic baton rounds, these look like something that should be skip-fired.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#8]
A few month's ago in the county where I live two sheriff's deputies shot a man twice with bean-bag rounds. He kept getting up and charging at them with a knife until finally one of the deputies killed him with his service pistol. Apparently the less-than-lethal rounds didn't phase him much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A few month's ago in the county where I live two sheriff's deputies shot a man twice with bean-bag rounds. He kept getting up and charging at them with a knife until finally one of the deputies killed him with his service pistol. Apparently the less-than-lethal rounds didn't phase him much.
View Quote

DefTech 12-gauge #23BR (orange) beanbags are taking an average of three hits before they stop someone. Beanbags aren't the optimal less-lethal solution, but its better than nothing (and at least you can say that you tried). For riots, where there is usually at least a little bit of prep time, there are much better solutions than beanbags or the obsolete plastic batons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top