Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2002 4:58:31 PM EDT

Governor Barred from Kids Home

SACRAMENTO — Democratic Gov. Gray Davis was banned from playing Santa Claus on Thursday at a Sacramento Catholic home for troubled children because he supports abortion rights.Despite a 20-year tradition of California governors delivering Christmas gifts to the St. Patrick's Home for Children, the school's director barred Davis from school grounds unless he would ask forgiveness for and disavow his views on abortion.

Monsignor Edward J. Kavanagh, director of the home since 1952, asked the governor to sign a letter declaring that he repents "of ever having promoted the killing of innocent unborn children."

"We don't let any pro-abortion people in our grounds here," Kavanagh said. "He should get his life together and he should change his whole philosophy on the unborn. He should stand up for the sanctity of human life."

Davis refused to sign the letter, and instead invited children from the home to the state Capitol to fetch their gifts.

"He's entitled to his point of view and I'm entitled to mine. I'm unapologetically pro-choice and I'm not changing my position," Davis said. "Having said this, the tradition is about children, not grown-ups, I didn't want the kids to be disappointed."

Since 1981, state officials have provided about a dozen children each year at the rehabilitation home with gifts from their wish lists. Former governors-- including Jerry Brown, a Democrat who supported abortion rights-- have visited the school to deliver the gifts.

This would have been the first year Davis carried out the tradition. He has not been personally going to the Sacramento school, aides said, because he usually spends the holidays in Los Angeles.

Kavanagh said of Brown's visit, "This was before this thing became an issue." He also claimed that Davis used his visit "for political purposes."
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.. Good for the Monsigor.

Davis is banned from seeing my kid too.. he's a diseased liberal (but what liberal isn't??).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top