Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2002 1:31:58 AM EDT
...tore up another blanket...

[img]http://www.snedegar.net/images/dogs/12-19-2002/new_mess.jpg[/img]

and ate some coffee grounds.....

[img]http://www.snedegar.net/images/dogs/12-19-2002/coffegrounds.jpg[/img]

Some day I'll get them to chew less expensive things.  Other than the blanket, the other stuff they got from the trash can (which was blocked off....but they found a way....bastards....)
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't feel bad.  My wonderful little puppy shat ALL over our nice white living room carpet tonight in the minute or less that I took my eye off him.  I just spent 45 minutes cleaning up the mess to "undetectable by woman" levels!  Only problem was, then I discovered that he had targeted her SLIPPERS TOO!!  [B)]  Lemme tell ya, I latched onto his little butt mid-squat and carried him by his damn head all the way to his kennel.  I was more worried about my arse than his for a while there.  Looks good now tho'... [^]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoes are not their favorite.  Broke them of that a long time ago.  You can see a pair of Teva's in the first pic under the brown chair.  Thanks goodness, too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:54:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My dog likes the couch.  He likes to drag it around the place while I am not home.  I came home one day and it was in the kitchen.  I am not sure why does it, he just does.

Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:05:57 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not just dogs.  My cat will chew my GF's shoes... only HER shoes, not mine.  Doesn't matter where they are, if she can get to them they are toast.  She's chomped on loafers, dress shoes, jungle boots and an almost new pair of Altama combat boots.

God help us if she finds a roll of TP or paper towels... you won't be able to see the carpet for the confetti she's created by shredding a whole roll.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:42:27 AM EDT
[#6]
If your dog eats chicken bones you'll be in for a $1,400.00- $1,500.00 surprise.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Used to have a neurotic German Shepard who went berserk during thunderstorms. Chewed up clothes, shoes, doors, door frames, door jambs, and of course got into the garbage. If I tranquilized him, he's urinate all over the place. If I didn't, he'd destroy everything in sight. Once I left a bag of about 20 dress and Eddie Bauer polo shirts in the kitchen awaiting the cleaners. yep, he shredded every one of them.Another time I took him to an outdoor range, I had to qualify. In about 20 minutes he destroyed the interior of the Jeep. Another time he got into a metal cabined where I keep out of season uniforms. He chewed one arm off of a $300.00 winter Blauer. Once when left alone in the garage, he ate a wooden work bench and 1/2 of a wooded tool box my dad made for me when I was about 9 years old...That got rebuilt...
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:03:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like those two might be soon enlisted in the Peruvian Army ?????
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Used to have a neurotic German Shepard who went berserk during thunderstorms. Chewed up clothes, shoes, doors, door frames, door jambs, and of course got into the garbage. If I tranquilized him, he's urinate all over the place. If I didn't, he'd destroy everything in sight. Once I left a bag of about 20 dress and Eddie Bauer polo shirts in the kitchen awaiting the cleaners. yep, he shredded every one of them.Another time I took him to an outdoor range, I had to qualify. In about 20 minutes he destroyed the interior of the Jeep. Another time he got into a metal cabined where I keep out of season uniforms. He chewed one arm off of a $300.00 winter Blauer. Once when left alone in the garage, he ate a wooden work bench and 1/2 of a wooded tool box my dad made for me when I was about 9 years old...That got rebuilt...
View Quote

Friend, have you ever heard of a dog crate? x3?
Crate training is the best single thing you can do for a dog. Feed and water them in it as a pup, make them sleep in it...and pretty soon it is their "den" and they prefer to be in it.
Ask me how I know... [:)]
[img]http://personalpages.tds.net/~eflanagin/Billieyogert.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Friend, have you ever heard of a dog crate? x3?
View Quote

The litte one's crate is visible in the first photo.  His older bro likes to shut the door for him though....
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dog likes the couch.  He likes to drag it around the place while I am not home.  I came home one day and it was in the kitchen.  I am not sure why does it, he just does.

View Quote

Damn, Ire, what kind of dog do you own?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a rotty and he chewed though the wall to get in to the kitchen were his wife was. The bitch was in heat and you could see she was smearing her ass against the door between them. He tried to rip the door off first but I put a big chair in front of it, so he just moved over and went though the wall. He showed me.

That bitch got fixed the next day
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]
And that, my gentlemen friends, is why QS and I have yorkies...little dogs with big dog attitude and even if they do decide to destoy something it is never above the knee level!  

BTW, Ire, what kind of elephant do you have?? Moves the couch??  Can I borrow him the next time I get the urge to move the furniture?  QS bitches too much!
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#14]
This is exactly why I do not own dogs, or any pet for that matter. I like my stuff the way I bought it. I'd have to kill a dog that did some of the stuff you guy's put up with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And that, my gentlemen friends, is why QS and I have yorkies...little dogs with big dog attitude and even if they do decide to destoy something it is never above the knee level!  
View Quote

Lol.  

You must not have looked very close.  Both of my boys heads can just reach over the top of that coffee table.  Knee high? Ha!
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Slacker, this wasn't a problem of being a puppy, he was a lunatic when I got him when he was about 6 years old. Abused, neglected, etc. I cut him way to much slack because I felt sorry for him. I couldn't very well predict when there was going to be a thunderstorm or some kid shooting off fireworks. My new lab stays in a huge cage at night and when we're at work. By the way, we have picked out a name from all the suggestions. It will be revealed soon,with pics!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine thinks she is a person. This is where she can be found just about every morning.
[url]http://community.webshots.com/photo/58016897/58017406Ovrjtq[/url]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, I'm feeling pretty lucky right now!  My dog doesn't chew on anything but her own food...or people food if she's presented with a particularly good opportunity....like the time she stole and ate an entire cheese and nut ball the size of a softball and didn't crap for three days...but oh what a mess it was when it came out the other end!  

She does shed a lot (Black Aussie with tan markings, she's gorgeous!) but what the heck...we love her and fur doesn't stick to carpets and couches that badly.   Yes, we allow her on the furniture...sometimes.   She's spoiled rotten and she has us well trained.   I mean it!  She'll roll over and stick out her legs, pointed straight out, and that's our cure to start MASSAGING her legs and body!  The look of total bliss she gets on her face when two people massage all her legs at once is HYSTERICAL!

Her "Please let me have a little of what you're eating, I'm starving to death here!" look is absolutely TRAGIC and usually succeeds.

This dog is a blessing.   I didn't know you could love an animal so much, and I've had pets (including dogs) before.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/20/2002 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 11:41:44 PM EDT
[#20]
It could definitely be a lot worse. Back in April 2001 I finally got the breed of dog I always wanted, an Alaskan Malamute (male). Kandik's Bootlegger, also known as Rascal, was 10 months old when I bought him back then.  After introducing him to my wife's female Siberian Husky/German Shepard mix named Skitter at a local pet store, we took both the dogs home.  Since we do not have kids of the human variety, the dogs use our second bedroom. Anyway, the first night I brought Rascal home we experienced severe thunderstorms.  I had not yet purchased a crate for Rascal because I was hoping that he would behave with Skitter in the room.  Well, I learned what behavior I should expect out of a 10-month-old Alaskan Malamute.  At about 3:00 A.M. I was awoken by a loud bang.  Thinking that it was only the storm outside, I clambered out of bed half awake to check on the dogs.  I opened the door and turned on the lamp to observe a sight I would never forget. Now Skitter has always slept on the bottom of a set of bunk beds that I slept on as a child, but she wasn't this night.  Rascal had the mattress in the clutches of his jaws, with a spring broken and hanging out of his mouth.  When I saw him he looked up at me with the facial expression saying "What, I'm not supposed to be doing this?"  I quickly scolded him and handed him over to my wife, whom my screaming waked.  Further inspection revealed only more damage.  The legs of my wife's office desk were chewed and the drawer handles chewed off.  The desk drawers were also pulled out and their contents strewn all over the floor.  Of these items I found my flight manual to my Jane's F-15E simulator destroyed, squadron patches shredded, and chewed computer diskettes. Since Skitter had no prior history of this behavior with my wife or myself, Rascal was quickly introduced to the world of XXXL heavy-duty dog crates.  Since then, when I have fallen asleep on the couch, Rascal has continued to display his chomping abilities.  I have found chewed up light bulbs, paper towels, blankets, shirts, jeans, and pillows.  He even managed to chew through a steel can of RediWhip whipped cream.  If you have ever held one of those cans you know they are made of some pretty thick steel.  By the time I found it, it looked like you had just took it to the rifle range!  Good thing it was empty when he grabbed it, or that could've been a real mess!  Oddly enough, he has never touched a shoe, sandal, or boot!  As the time has gone by, Rascal has calmed down a little and has displayed better behavior outside his crate, but only when someone is at home.  When my wife and I work, he is always in the crate.  Thankfully, he has grown to enjoy his "privacy" inside the crate, and is not too reluctant to confinement. For now, he is the closest thing to a child I want.  I will always love my son, strong jaws and all.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Prof...hard to tell in the photos how big they are...I stand corrected!  They are awful cute despite their destructive tendencies!  BTW, our older yorkie who has practically no hip joints left and can't get up on the couch without assistance is a dumpster diver of the first degree.  He would love to come and help your pups mash those coffee grounds into the carpet!
ML
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#22]
We have a dog crate in the house for good now.
We put a house dog in it if we're going to be gone for too long (long day), and can't take them with us.
Can't turn him loose outside. The other can be loose. If we're gone for a few days. One is loose and the other is in a kennel out back.
Although, my wife rarely goes anywhere without her boxers.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:51:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:09:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I must be really lucky. None of my three dogs has ever chewed anything up. On the other hand they all think of themselves as escape artists. The Lab digs the holes and the other two get out. But hey, if I ever need a foxhole I have enough for the whole damn ARFCOM army in my yard.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_Loadimage.asp?iImageUnq=654[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Here's a pic of my 155 lbs, four legged food processor.....Aside from the fact that he's not a 'people person' (he hates everybody but the girlfriend) he's an absolute pleasure...

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=2494[/img]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We came home one day and found this...

SNIP

and this...

SNIP

and this.

SNIP

I wasn't too happy, and he doesn't stay in the house by himself anymore.
View Quote

he just loves ya, notice how the destroyed areas are things your dag (snatch) associates with you. see's you commin in the window, and you walk in through the door. must be nice to have such a loving friend
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#28]
My dog would LIKE to claim to be an escape artist, but in actuality she falls short.

She went into heat shortly after we got her, and she WANTED IT!  She tried to dig out from under the fence to go get some, but the stupid dog got stuck halfway out her little tunnel!  

Have you ever had to dig your dog out from under a fence with a shovel?  I was laughing so hard that the dog actually looked offended,  so no further punishment of any kind was warranted.

She got fixed shortly thereafter, and she hasn't tried to dig out again since then.  But she does constantly probe the fence for loose boards and will work them free.  Not that it does a lot of good for her, since the section of fence that is most likely to have a loose board is backed up with a chain link fence right behind it.

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top