Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2002 8:16:38 PM EDT
I have this really intrusive pop up that appears every couple of days.  I don't think it's coming from the web because it doesn't happen while I'm on IE, although I do have a cable connection that is always on.

It's titled "Messenger Service" or something similar, and usually is an ad for diplomas by mail, but this varies.  There's no link, only phone numbers.  I've considered calling the numbers to bitch, but they are usually long distance, not to mention that they probably don't give a crap, and would probably add my phone number to all sorts of calling lists once I call.

Adware did not detect any spyware, so I'm at a loss.

Anyway, it really pisses me off, because if I'm in another program (especially games) if knocks me out of that program, causing all sorts of aggravation!

HELP ME!!!  This type of crap should be illegal, along with the internet sites that automatically switch your homepage to their page.  My two biggest pet peeves...
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I used another program, can't remember what it was though.  Anyway, it got something that ad-aware missed.  If all else fails, look for it in your files
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]Disabling the MS Messenger Service[/b]
[blue]Windows XP[/blue]
1. Click on the Start button and open the control panel.
2. Open the Performance and Maintenance control panel and go to Administrative Tools.
3. Now double-click on Services, then scroll to Messenger.
4. Double-click Messenger and click Stop to stop the service.
5. Change the startup type to Disable and click Apply at the bottom.
6. Click OK to exit window.

[blue]Windows 2000[/blue]
1. Click on the Start button -> Settings -> Control Panel.
2. Double click on Administrative Tools.
3. Now double-click on Services, then scroll to Messenger.
4. Double-click Messenger and click Stop to stop the service.
5. Change the startup type to Disable and click Apply at the bottom.
6. Click OK to exit window.

Edit: [url]http://www.sellertools.com/sellertools.asp?i=MessageManager.htm[/url]

Here is a place that will sell you software to stop them, or software that will send them. Fucking bastages.

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Badseed,

I'll let you know if that solves the problem.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
That's called a "pop-under" and it is from being on the internet. It's just like the pop-up ads you get while surfing with internet explorer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top