Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2002 1:14:29 PM EDT
I havent been following the news lately, I keep hearing about the "Trent Lott Controversy" on CNN, what happened?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Simply put, he gave thanks and support to Strom Thurmond at his 100th birthday party. Since Strom Thurmond used to be a segregationist, that means Trent Lott is a racist. (according to the liberal news media)
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a damn thing, other than be gracious to a fellow Senator and Southerner on his 100th Birthday.

Now, since then, Sen Lott has acted the fool.

He has gone on Black Entertainment Television and basically said, affirmative action is all right by me.

It's becoming more and more likely that he will not be the Senate Majority Leader come January 6, 2003.

Eric The(Sorry,Trent,ButWeWereWithYouThereForAWhile)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I see.......
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#4]
the power of the (liberal) media...

amazing isnt it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]
He should have said:
"I was being gracious to my friend on his 100th birthday. If anyone interprets what I said as meaning that I support segregation or racism, they are flat wrong!".

End of story!
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#6]
he didn't anything that the black caucus does on a daily basis. only difference being is that he made several appologies.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the power of the (liberal) media...

amazing isnt it?
View Quote

Simply....
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Dog and pony show indeed.  

Trouble is, Lott made it ten times worse than it would have been had he not bungled the response.

He should have just said that he was trying to come up with some kind words for a 100 year old man at his retirement and that the statement meant nothing more.  When pressed on it, he should NEVER have apologized.  The dems are like sharks and they smelled blood.  

Lott is a fool for not giving the explanation once and moving on, no matter how much the liberal press tried to goad him into a fight.  

"It meant what I said it meant, that's it, end of discusion."  And you know what?  The story would have disappeared.  

I say good riddance in any other circumstance but to let the libs think they won on this one will re-ignite the racial controversy that has been merely smoldering for quite awhile.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#10]
TRENT LOT IS TOAST AND SHOULD RESIGN FROM CONGRESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The fool has fallen into a liberal trap !!
He has licked shit from the boot soles of every anti-white group, Liberal DemoCommies in the Nation !!!
He is a DISGRACE to Congress and needs to bo into a new field of work ( sucking-up / boot licking / brown nosing ).

[usa]

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#11]
It is really sad.

He definitely fell into a trap and then fucked-up his escape by being nice.

What REALLY pisses me off is that EVERY media outlet MISQUOTES what he actually said by adding the the word "Segregation" into the speech he actually said...ASSHOLES!

All he said was "If we had elected Strom President in 1948, we wouldnt be in the mess we are in today." FUCKING PERIOD!!!!!!

The media quotes him to say "If we had elected Strom, a segregationist in the 40's , as President, we wouldnt be in the mess we are in today"

I only think he should step down because he played their game when he should have gone on the offensive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#12]
What's so wrong about Strom? Sure he was against segregation but he came around. Hell, he was one of, if not the first, to have hired a multi-racial staff on the Hill.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone else think the Republican party is at a disadvantage having southern politicians in leadership positions.?

These guys can't help but pander to the lowest common denominator or their constituency out of habit.

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
It is clear that the democrat's tactic for the 2004 elections is to convince the voters that Republicans are all racists.  The liberal news media will be more than happy to get the word out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#15]
MrP said: He should have said:
"I was being gracious to my friend on his 100th birthday. If anyone interprets what I said as meaning that I support segregation or racism, they are flat wrong!".

End of story
View Quote

And then added, "and if that's not good enough, shove it up your a$$"

But, he didn't, and I think he is gutless, and his gutlessness will not serve us well during the next 2 years.

sniper1az said: TRENT LOT IS TOAST AND SHOULD RESIGN FROM CONGRESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The fool has fallen into a liberal trap !!
He has licked shit from the boot soles of every anti-white group, Liberal DemoCommies in the Nation !!!
He is a DISGRACE to Congress and needs to bo into a new field of work ( sucking-up / boot licking / brown nosing ).
View Quote

Amen

I guess after the Klinton Impeachment debacle we shouldn't have expected he would get any better.

Rancid Lance

Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I havent been following the news lately, I keep hearing about the "Trent Lott Controversy" on CNN, what happened?
View Quote

He apologized too many times. He's a liberal pussy, (not a bright one either), and needs to step down from leadership......
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Because he has made a mess of things no matter what he has done.  He has no guiding priciples other than being somewhat conservative, and as much in bed with lawyers as the Demoratic party.

He is the epitome of the "Stupid Party."  

Remember the power sharing agreement?  He should have been tarred and feathered for that little gem alone.  Now he is trying to be Mr. Affirmative Action.  So,..... as a direct result of his screwup he will try to remake fundamental principles of the republican party.

I can't remember more, but how this clown ever became majority leader is beyond me.  Even Alaska's own troll, Ted Senator-for-life Stevens is a far better politician than this clown.    
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Simply put, he gave thanks and support to Strom Thurmond at his 100th birthday party. Since Strom Thurmond used to be a segregationist, that means Trent Lott is a racist. (according to the liberal news media)
View Quote

The liberal media isn't trustworthy, but I still haven't seen anything resembling the truth from you guys either.

He did more than "give thanks and support to Strom Thurmond at his 100th birthday party."

He said, If Thurmond had been elected president back when he ran, we wouldn't have all these problems that we do today, and that he (Lott) is proud of the support Mississippi gave to Strom in his presidential run.

Thurmond's MAIN presidential platform issue was to maintain government segregation.  So yes, I can understand how blacks and the liberal media would get upset.

That said, I don't think Lott supports segregation.  I think he just was flapping his gums without thinking of what he was saying.  In otherwords, he was jabbering meaningless plattitudes like any other politician, only this time he said the wrong thing.

The media & democrats are making this a much bigger deal than it really is, but Lott hasn't been handling the criticism very well, either.

I agree with magnum_99:
He should have just said that he was trying to come up with some kind words for a 100 year old man at his retirement and that the statement meant nothing more. When pressed on it, he should NEVER have apologized. The dems are like sharks and they smelled blood.
View Quote

Although I do think an apology was in order, the grovelling and ass kissing Lott has been doing is way overboard.

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#20]
He dug his own hole...
...when he succumbed to the Liberal Agenda.

If we back down from our beliefs and politics we will continue to lose ground. When are we going to stand up and fight? Before or after they slowly ick off our rights one by one?
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The media also doesn't point out that Strom was a Demo then..
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, he fell right into it.  I agree he shopuld have resigned as Senate Leader.  (Though not from the Senate, for reasons already well put).  Basically, I consider him a political incompetent.  It's even simpler than many have suggested.  Preface this by my saying I did not see the text of the entire speech.  But, if it was limited to the line quoted, his simple response could have been,  "Racism?  What racism?  I said nothing about race.  YOU must be the racists."  End of it.  I'm sure he thinks himself much smarter than I am (probably most people are).  So, why not yank the rug out from under the liberal feet?  He could easily have directed the whole thing to have meant overall conservative principles.  

We don't need someone as leader who can't handle such simple issues.  Actually, there have been a number of other issues in the Senate which he could have handled better in a few sentences than he did with a long speech.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 4:32:47 AM EDT
[#23]
The only thing he did was tell the truth.

We all know that Liberal Democrats can't handle the truth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:38:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Funny, isn't it? Clinton turns the White House into a whorehouse, lies under oath, & gets to keep his job.

Lott pats an old guy on the back at his bithday party, and loses his job.

But[b] no,[/b]there's no double standard in the media! Silly conservatives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top