Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2002 10:33:26 AM EDT
Greetings:

My nephew is in the USN, and just got home from Okinawa. He is a Hospital Corpsman. He'll be heading off to JAX the week after Christmas. I want t get him something nice, something he can use either in his work, or while chasing the wild Bikinis in FL.

I know there are a lot of active-duty military types, and a lot of veterans here. If you were halfway through a 5-year hitch, and well squared-away, what would you need or want to make your life a little better?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
West Coast Sailors from the 80's love LBFM'S from the Philipines
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Well is he living on base or off, can't have cool toys in the barracks.  What are his interests?.  If he kikes to shoot I believe there is a club called Gateway in Jax, maybe a gun in his future.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I think a nice SureFire would come in handy - legal pretty much everywhere - and you can spend anywhere from less than $50 on up.  Very practical.

Come to think of it - if I sat down Xmas morning and every present I opened up contained a SureFire product - I'd break down into tears of joy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear powdered soap is a great gift for sailors!  Why, you ask?....
wait for it..........
Cuz it takes longer to pick up!
[rimshot]
Thankya, thankya very much, tip the busboys.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, the Surefire sounds like a, well, sure fire gift. Of course, sticking to my premise that I'd never give a gift that I wouldn't want to receive myself, I'll have to buy two! [:)] Good tip on the SureFire, Sherm; maybe a box of 123s as well.

He is green side, authorized to wear the Marine uniform (including MARPAT, I presume), and is trained as a Combat MEdic as well. His work in Okinawa was in the ER and E-OR, stitching Marines back together after local adventures.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He is green side, authorized to wear the Marine uniform (including MARPAT, I presume), and is trained as a Combat MEdic as well. His work in Okinawa was in the ER and E-OR, stitching Marines back together after local adventures.
View Quote

Here's a few suggestions for a green side HM:

1. An LED flashlight that takes AA batteries. A surefire light will not work as the lithium batteries are not easily found. AA batteries, on the otherhand, are plentiful and used  throughout the military.
2. Tactical dropleg holster for his M9 Beretta
3. Leatherman Wave or similar multitool
4. A good knife Glock/Kabar etc..
5. Nomex flight gloves (much better than the issued crap)

Just a few off the top of my head......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top