Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2001 3:53:24 PM EDT
I have had this rifle for many years, and thought I would share a pic with you guys, as most people have probably never seen one like this.  It is a Remington Model 8 built in the early 1930's by Remington and then sent to Police Officer's Equipment Corporation to be retrofitted with a high capacity 15 round detachable magazine for Law Enforcement sales.  I am not sure if the guns were then sold from POEC, or if they were sent back to Remington for distribution.  The magazine is serialized to match the gun as well.  The single stack magazine holds 15 rounds of 35 Remington.  This particular rifle came from the U.S. Border Patrol in El Paso, Texas.  I understand that a gun similar to this was used in the final Bonnie and Clyde shootout.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
www.tromix.com

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1531281&a=11594754&p=46676432&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#2]
nice,never seen one before

if you dont mind my asking how much does a remington model 8 go for???
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 4:50:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to see these (without the 15-round mag) literally all the time at gunshows.  Notice the Kalashnikov style safety?  Kalashnikov actually oughtta be saying "Remington style safety."

The guns are uteerly beautiful and are still available in great shape at a reasonable price; it's the ammo that hurts to buy.  A real damn shame.  .30 Remington is $40.00 a box.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I suspect it might have been a little easier to control than a BAR, but is probably was still quite a bit to control.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the officers that shot down Bonnie and Clyde (?) had one of those Model 8's with the large magazine. I have a model 8 in 35 remington and would love to get a larger magazine, but I've never been able to find one. Thanks for the pic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#7]
THAT IS A BEAUTY....

All looks new.....

IF the background was different, THAT would be my wallpaper for a while....!!!!
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 6:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
believe it or not but we just had two of those at work, think one is for sale. 1st thing i noticed was the HUGE shroud arond the barrel and the AK style saftey. they were both in 300 savage or something i think. 1st time id seen one. no big mags though
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it looked familiar.  My uncle has one hanging on the wall as a collectible.  The Gun Trader's Guide says that a Remington Model 8 in excellent condtion is worth $395.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn! That sure looks nice! Is that the one Jimmy Stewart built in "Carbine Williams"? [;)]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I have shot several five shot groups at 100 yards that went into four inches.  Not great, but considering the reciprocating barrel and old buckhorn style sights, its not terribly bad.  When I got the gun, it had been shot a lot and there were many parts that were physically worn out inside, so functioning was rather poor.  I had to TiG weld and remachine a bunch of the long recoil linkage parts and the thing had a diconnector problem that also caused it to double from time to time.  Recoil is pretty stiff, much more so than I would have anticipated.  I have taken the gun hog hunting in Texas (no mag cap limit) a few times, but never shot anything with it.  One draw back is that it ejects the rounds straight up above the action and sometimes they have a nasty habit of trying to find their way down your shirt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top