Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2002 6:06:13 AM EDT
[url]http://www.galun.com/misc/seasonal/2002/12/17-Moore.html[/url]

My response:

[i]I thought your article was very good.   The thing I didn't understand was your inference that there was a correlation between murder rates and the availability of guns?    The simple fact that there is a larger quantity of available guns in the US does not mean that it is the reason for a higher murder rate.   It may very well mean that more people are murdered with guns, but you would have to balance that against the overall murder rate.  How many people would commit the same crimes with pipes/vehicles/poison etc. without firearms?  To imply that "your" corrected, twice as high US murder rate can be attributed to the availability of firearms is a stretch.

Two avenues of exploration are:
The war on Drugs
Urban vs Rural.

Thank You
[/i]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#1]
That was an excellent article.

As to your question, he merely suggested that there [i]might[/i] be a correlation between murder rate and the availability of guns, and that Moore hadn't even raised the possibility.

That's not to say there [i]is[/i] one, the point was that Moore had gone haring off on something demonstrably not true and missed something that could be a legitimate question that could be examined.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Well if there were a correlation between Gun availabilty and murder then there would be no murder in Washington DC and no murder (or other crimes) in England.

The lack of respect for human life in our society as a whole would explain it better.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Moore is counting his money and eating pizza.  There's little evidence he has any of the concerns he disingenuously slaps everone in the face with.  There is evidence he's making money and eating well.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quick, poison his pizza??
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...Americans have more hands and feet than Brits. [rolleyes]
View Quote

It must be from the "Mad Cow" meat the Limy's eat. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Moore is counting his money and eating pizza.  There's little evidence he has any of the concerns he disingenuously slaps everone in the face with.  There is evidence he's making money and eating well.
View Quote

And it would seem that, with his money, he could afford a bath tub large enough for that fat ass of his.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top