[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=153404&w=searchPop[/url]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=152584&w=searchPop[/url]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=152271&w=searchPop[/url]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=150477&w=searchPop[/url]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=137564&w=searchPop[/url]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=136480&w=searchPop[/url]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=133775&w=searchPop[/url]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=132821&w=searchPop[/url]

I have decided to employee the services of a psyciatrist.  So, since the fine people here at [url]www.ar15.com[/url] know just about everything there is to know about anything, I am asking you'll for direction.

How do I find a nut doctor?

What qualifications do I look for in a good Quack?

What type of questions are allowed?

Can the Shrink keep a secret or will that terrible childhood story about me and the cat be made public?

What else do I look for?  Ideas?  Anyone?

Sgt[>:/]ar15
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By shrink-seeking sgtar15:

<... qualifications noted... >

How do I find a nut doctor?
[i]Referrals from trusted and/or knowledgeable friends/doctors/acquaintenances are best.  Psychiatrists are MDs who can prescribe meds, some do therapy, but most don't.  Other kinds of therapists are for talking to.[/i]

What qualifications do I look for in a good Quack?
[i]Depends on whether you want/need an actual therapist or just someone to prescribe psychiatric meds.  If therapy is what you want/need, find a good psychologist or other non-pyschiatrist.[/i]

What type of questions are allowed?
[i]Any and all.  Ask away- if they can't/won't answer, find another one.[/i]

Can the Shrink keep a secret or will that terrible childhood story about me and the cat be made public?
[i]Yep.  While the cat may not have been safe, your secrets are.[/i]

What else do I look for?  Ideas?  Anyone?
[i]You need to go into this with a "good consumer" attitude- fit and "chemistry" are important, as is competence, obviously.  It's hard to know until you meet and get to know them.  Be willing to keep looking until you get what you need. The good ones are out there.[/i]

Sgt[>:/]ar15
View Quote

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn SGT, are you serious?

I'd start by looking up your county mental health center.  Most areas have one.  Use it, 'cause you're paying for it.

You can ask any damn questions you want.  If they don't like it, f*ck 'em and find another one.  Remember, you'll be paying them, therefore you're the boss.

You're also making the right move by going to a psychiatrist instead of a psychologist.  The MD will look for any possible medical reasons for whatever your condition is.  That's more important than you might think.  If the cause isn't physiological in nature, a good psychiatrist will likely refer you to a psychologist anyway.  

If you don't want to go into specifics, but you want to talk some more, just IM me.

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#3]
My advice would be to never mention you seeking a shrink on a gun board!  There's a little question about that on the 4473's isn't there? Or does that apply only to institutionalization?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
That's only institutionalization.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My advice would be to never mention you seeking a shrink on a gun board!  There's a little question about that on the 4473's isn't there? Or does that apply only to institutionalization?
View Quote

That's a valid concern, but I think you're still safe unless you've been [i]involuntarily[/i] committed.  

Which brings up another one of my pet peeves (rant not directed at you, Gus):
Why stigmatize somebody who is obviously wanting to get help with a problem?  Jesus, it's hard enough to acknowledge that you have a problem and go find help for it.  You don't need the whole world viewing you as a pariah on top of it all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
California is full of crazy people. I would move before it falls into the ocean. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Ask what their modality is. There are several different philosophies in the mental health field. If you want to maintain confidentiality they must be a psychiatrist or psychologist. Anything less than this there is no privilege. As stated before check with the state licensing board for their credentials, and any complaints and the status and findings of the investigations.

The first session is as much of an interview for you as it is for the therapist. If you find you do not like the therapist change, it can be a lot of money to pay and find out after ten session that it is not working out.

Speaking of money, avg. per hour pricing:
Psychiatrist: $250 to $300
Psychologist: $100 to $150
Master level Counselors:   $50 to $100

My recommendation is to see a psychologist. Unless you are suffering from a serious mental illness, and require medication, there would be no reason to see a psychiatrist. Also steer away from those who say they are Freudian therapist, they tend to be more long term and often require several sessions per week.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Save yourself time, money, and aggravation.  Every friend or family member I have know that has gone to a psychiatrist has had a bad experience.  The worst case is a friend who left the office when the psychiatrist had a melt down screaming “you need me, you can not make it with out my help” and so on.  

My advice is start make changes in your life until you hit the happy button.  Change your friends, your location, your job.  If you have money problems solve them immediately.  Go hard core on money problems if you have to.  I believe millions of Americans suffer mental anguish as they drown in debt while trying to keep up the hyper-consumerism that has come to be expected.  Maybe volunteer your time teaching a skill you have.  Volunteer at a homeless shelter or animal shelter perhaps.  Get in shape if you need too.  There are many more activities that can help you out of a funk.

Truly, no one can help you but your self.  The whole psychiatry field is nothing but theory.  I’ll leave it at that as I do not wish to offend anyone in the profession or anyone who attributes personal growth to professional help.  It may work for some, but I have yet to see a real world example.  

One man’s opinion.  Get well soon!
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ask what their modality is. There are several different philosophies in the mental health field. If you want to maintain confidentiality they must be a psychiatrist or psychologist. Anything less than this there is no privilege. As stated before check with the state licensing board for their credentials, and any complaints and the status and findings of the investigations.

The first session is as much of an interview for you as it is for the therapist. If you find you do not like the therapist change, it can be a lot of money to pay and find out after ten session that it is not working out.

Speaking of money, avg. per hour pricing:
Psychiatrist: $250 to $300
Psychologist: $100 to $150
Master level Counselors:   $50 to $100

My recommendation is to see a psychologist. Unless you are suffering from a serious mental illness, and require medication, there would be no reason to see a psychiatrist. Also steer away from those who say they are Freudian therapist, they tend to be more long term and often require several sessions per week.

Hope this helps.
View Quote

Good advice here.

My point in recommending a psychiatrist first was to find out if there may be an underlying medical condition causing the problem.  Other than that, I agree 100 perdent with what you've said.

If there isn't something physiologically amiss, go see a psychologist.  And as Eagle1911 said, ask about their "form" of therapy and avoid Freudian adherents at all costs.  
That guy was a kook. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]

You're nucking futs, now send me $20 and you'll feel much better about yourself [BD]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a valid concern, but I think you're still safe unless you've been [i]involuntarily[/i] committed.  

Which brings up another one of my pet peeves (rant not directed at you, Gus):
Why stigmatize somebody who is obviously wanting to get help with a problem?  Jesus, it's hard enough to acknowledge that you have a problem and go find help for it.  You don't need the whole world viewing you as a pariah on top of it all.
View Quote

Wasn't sure about the specifics.

I have no desire to stigmatize anyone that is in pain (well, except maybe Mrs. Brady!). That said, I think markl32 made VERY good points! Bottom line, do what ever works for YOU.

BTW, does anybody know of a brand of paint that sticks well to rubber? I need to paint the walls of my office![:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
California is full of crazy people. I would move before it falls into the ocean. [;)]
View Quote

Ya know, one of these days I'm going to visit Texas and you and me are going to have a little talk.

Sgt[;)]ar15
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ya know, one of these days I'm going to visit Texas and you and me are going to have a little talk.

View Quote

You bring the booze and I'll bring the Prozac! [:D]
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
--snip--
BTW, does anybody know of a brand of paint that sticks well to rubber? I need to paint the walls of my office![:D]
View Quote

Just use crayons.
..the big kind
...with the blunt tip.
[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top