Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2014 10:24:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have one, but a bunch of people use the little HF trailers for diy teardrop builds. I think for on occasional dump run it would be fine. Just me talkin here though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have one, but a bunch of people use the little HF trailers for diy teardrop builds. I think for on occasional dump run it would be fine. Just me talkin here though.
View Quote

I agree - light duty is fine, the NT one is probably a little heavier built.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm in need of something for trips to the dump and general light hauling.  It won't get heavy or frequent use.  The HF one has brackets one the frame for adding sides but I'll have to pay sales tax on it.  

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612541_200612541

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-capacity-super-duty-48-inch-x-96-inch-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html
View Quote

i have one rated at 900 lbs from HF. I wound up welding it together and boxing critical areas. if its says 1700 bs my guess is it will hold 1200 no sweat but after that watch out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A friend has one for dump runs and works just fine for it and he bought another and welded extra brackets and stuff onto the frame to stop flex and allow him to haul slightly heavier loads.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I purchased one of the HF ones.  Spent the "extra" and got the 1000lb rated one.

They are fine for what they are.  Don't overload and Re-pack the wheel bearings w/ a quality bearing grease before installation, you'll see why.

Towed mine from Tucson AZ to Mcallen Tx at 70mph+ w/ no problems.  Had about 500-600 lbs on it

YMMV

Fc2
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using this one from Tractor Supply for three years, 3-5 times a week and love it, comes assembled too. here's the link.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/carry-on-trailerreg%3B-4-ft-w-x-6-ft-l-mesh-floor-trailer-1700-lb-payload-capacity
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been using this one from Tractor Supply for three years, 3-5 times a week and love it, comes assembled too. here's the link.

Fixed it for you
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd try to pick one up off Craig's List, first.

Around here they go for 500-600 for a 4x8 and are far better built - full size tires and heavier frames.

I also see HF trailers on there for $150-200 occasionally.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I have owned the HF trailer that's rated at 1720 lbs. for over 5 years now. I have used it for everthing from dump runs, to moving motorcycles over long distances. I have had absolutely no problems or complaints whatsoever. the "A frame" up front folds for verticle storage to save room. I beleive that you CAN still use the 20% off coupons for them as well (I did). Hope this helps. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#11]
i scored HFs HD version (tilt bed, non folding) a few years ago..  assembled it and added a few items and use it for my wheeler for hunting season...  its been great so far and hasn't been a problem

i have flipped the axle, added a 4x4 lip at the tail end and tiedown pad eyes for anchoring ...  with my lift and large tires on my outy i can drive up on it and drive off it with little issues.. if I'm full of mud and the plywood deck is wet i need to use the winch sometimes.

i really like it due to its weight and small foot print.  takes up little room on my property and even with the wheeler loaded i can deadlift the tongue and and cart it around with great ease..  

i got it on sale plus the 20% coupon off..  worth every penny..   when i need to get a new one or upgrade i will likely get a landscape version with a drop gate..  just for versatility reasons

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Repacking the wheel bearings is a must on the HF trailers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a 1000lb folding one from HF. I bolted it so it can't fold. I use it for dump runs and track days. Have had it for about 10 years now. Only thing I have had go "bad" was the ground wire that I broke. Repack Actually pack the wheel bearings with grease when you first get it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Got the 1000 lb one and it works good, have had it number of years.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm in need of something for trips to the dump and general light hauling.  It won't get heavy or frequent use.  The HF one has brackets one the frame for adding sides but I'll have to pay sales tax on it.  

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-capacity-super-duty-48-inch-x-96-inch-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-five-lug-wheels-and-tires-94564.html
View Quote

That is NOT the folding version of that trailer.  This one is -

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-capacity-48-inch-x-96-inch-heavy-duty-foldable-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-wheels-90154.html

I have one and it works fine.  I've hauled all sorts of stuff with it over the past 5 or 6 years and never problem.  A couple of points:

Lists for $399, I paid $279 on sale.
It is extremely light and bounces if you tow it empty.
I cut a sheet of plywood in half and screwed the pieces down for a floor.  Fit was perfect.
It folds up into a tall thin package so you can store it.  I can do it by myself, but it's definitely easier with two people.
It comes with stake bed brackets and simple instructions for making gates out of 2x4s.
I don't like the fact that it takes a 1 7/8" ball.  Everything else I tow uses a 2".
The casters were cheap and finally came apart.  I replaced them with better wheels.
The fenders vibrate and need another brace.  I haven't done that yet.
I suggest repacking the wheel bearings from the start because I've heard of failures from lack of grease.

If you need a cheap trailer that folds up for easy storage, the HF trailer will probably do everything you want.  If I needed one, I'd buy it again.

ETA - Feb. 26, '14: On sale for $269 - use coupon code 16065434.  Printable coupon at bottom right - http://www.harborfreight.com/
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Various archived threads, same subject:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1480700_Harbor_Freight_Trailer_.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1489880_Farthest_you_ve_towed_your_Harbor_Freight_trailer_.html

There was a 2-3 page thread a while back on HF trailers, but I couldn't find it, maybe someone with better search-fu skills can find it....   The bottom line conclusion I got from the thread was that those that owned one thought they were great; those that poo-pood the HF trailers had never owned one in their life.

Good luck!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top