Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2002 1:51:15 PM EDT
It looks like the Cote D'Ivoire rebels are going to start fighting the frogs. I think they'll win too. And a bunch of nice FAMAS will be circulating through western Africa.

CRC
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
they arent fighting Frogs.

They are fighting Foreign Legionairres.

Is a bit of a difference.

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
"Get 'em while you can, folks. Genuine French military arms....never been fired and dropped only once. Step right up and get 'em now, folks." I-Zheeit midwahrs, Corner salesman
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The Legionaires are going to eat them for breakfast.

Fighting a group of Legionaires is slightly worse than fighting a similar group of US Marines.

They are very tough bast#rds who have a history of NOT surrendering under any circumstances.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would have to agree, The F.F.L. is not a "sorry ass JROTC" like you and others may think!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I see that I am not the only one to notice that the best troops the French can field are the FOREIGN Legion.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that the French plan to declare a major war on themselves.  Their thinking is that is the one surefire way they can win. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys need to catch up on your history lessons .
Who was the first Coillation heavy armor unit to stop advancing in ihe Gulf War I ??
That's right boys and girls, it was the French Foreign Legion that was the first unit to tell Gen. Swartzkoff that they were "tired and in need of rest as all this ground we have taken has worn us out !"
That's right ,the French heavy armor no longer advanced from Saudi and left the 3rd Marines along with the 82nd Airborne WITH OUT ANY HEAVY ARMOR SUPPORT !!! Thank you Mr. Frog.... And thus the eastern advance on Baghdad ground to a halt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=1807[/img]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You guys need to catch up on your history lessons .
Who was the first Coillation heavy armor unit to stop advancing in ihe Gulf War I ??
That's right boys and girls, it was the French Foreign Legion that was the first unit to tell Gen. Swartzkoff that they were "tired and in need of rest as all this ground we have taken has worn us out !"
That's right ,the French heavy armor no longer advanced from Saudi and left the 3rd Marines along with the 82nd Airborne WITH OUT ANY HEAVY ARMOR SUPPORT !!! Thank you Mr. Frog.... And thus the eastern advance on Baghdad ground to a halt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Can you support that at all???

I was not aware that the Foreign Legion had heavy armour, although they do have one cavalry regiment that has light armor (AX-10 or something, I think it's called).

Do you have a cite for this?

To my knowledge, the French Foreign Legion is one of the best-trained and toughest fighting forces on the planet, man for man.  The problem in the Gulf War was that there really were not a lot of them, compared to other units.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes I can. My neighbor who is currently a Major was there . Please don't get him started on the French. I also have seen some links back to the '91 Gulf War that listed all the units and what they accomplished ,their advances etc. I can't remember the French commanders name but Gen. Swartzkoff wanted his head on a silver platter AFTER REFUSING TO ADVANCE FURTHER !!
I'll see if I can dig up those links soon.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm just curious because I'd never heard that before about the Legion.

As was stated in the other thread, the French troops (especially the Legion) are absolute professionals, but are often let down by their leadership.  I have no beef believing a French General may have screwed up in Desert Storm.

Link Posted: 12/14/2002 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought it was a US general that was the problem.  Didnt 'Storming Norman' threaten to have one replaced because he was being 'over cautious' or something?

And I dont think it was the French that was supposed to be armor for the 82nd, I thought it was the 3rd ACR maybe?  24th Mech?

The French had two very light regiments and their main job was to hold the far left, dont think they were assigned much else.

Could be wrong though, it has been awhile.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#14]
The French heavy armor was on the Northern flank out of Northern Saudiheading east. They were the only heavy armor until you got down to approx. half way to Kuwait. Their job was to prevent a flanking movement around to the north and to provide "arty" support for our guys.

Link Posted: 12/15/2002 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Fighting a group of Legionaires is slightly worse than fighting a similar group of US Marines.

They are very tough bast#rds who have a history of NOT surrendering under any circumstances.
View Quote

Dien Bien Phu ring a bell? how do you figure that they are better troops than US Marines?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]
If they do make any progress their politicians will sell them out.  They actually were doing quite well against the Nazis in some areas when their high command refused to reinforce and supply them.  They had superior tanks.
They  probably should just go ahead and surrender to the Ivory Coast.  I am sure that it would look like something unPC if they won.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#17]
If they do make any progress their politicians will sell them out.  They actually were doing quite well against the Nazis in some areas when their high command refused to reinforce and supply them.  They had superior tanks.
They  probably should just go ahead and surrender to the Ivory Coast.  I am sure that it would look like something unPC if they won.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

[red]Dien Bien Phu ring a bell?
View Quote
how do you figure that they are better troops than US Marines?
View Quote

Not to mention Algeria. In fact, has France EVER won without help? The Foreign Legion has a good myth for recruitment purpose's.
The US Coast Guard could kick their ass....(No offense CG)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top