Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2002 2:55:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I grew up with the space program.  My father worked for IBM's Federal Systems Division as a QC tech on the Instrument Unit of the Saturn V, and we lived just across the Indian River from the Kennedy Space Center from 1966 until 1974.

I am [i]eternally[/i] pissed off that the investment we made in the race to the moon was essentially abandoned after we actually [i]got[/i] there.

The Shuttle?  1970's technology.

The International Space Station?  Should have been orbiting by 1979.

Hell, we should have a self-supporting (even [i]exporting[/i]) colony on the moon [i]NOW[/i].

Instead, we have to reinvent the technologies necessary to get us back to the moon - a place we haven't visited in [size=3][b][i]THIRTY FREAKING YEARS![/i][/b][/size=3]
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#2]
[snicker, snicker] You don't really believe that astronauts went to the moon using 60's technology do you? What a bunch of gullible rubes!
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Its all PAN-AM's fault.. they went out of business.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hell, we should have a self-supporting (even [i]exporting[/i]) colony on the moon [i]NOW[/i].
View Quote

I agree 100%!!  The money in cheese sales alone would pay for years of space exploration.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 7:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I fondly remember the Apollo 17 launch - the only night launch of the Apollo program. Cronkite was downright misty-eyed aas he called the last mission to the moon.

I agree. The time is past due for a manned return to the moon, and a manned mission to Mars.

Nowadays, the term "space-age" refers to something long obsolete. I'd sure like to see that change.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem, in a nutshell, is the the Space Program is a GOVERNMENT program.  If FDR had announced a national effort to development TV by the end of the 30s, we'd all still be listening to big console radios. [rolleyes]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top