Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

TRW was one of the four manufacturers of M14s.  Looks like he got a surplused one.

ETA:  TRW is reputed to have the best quality of all the M14s, because they got their contract after Winchester, H&R, and Springfield had learned from their mistakes, plus TRW had aerospace industry QC experience.  I have a Springfield Armory M1A built with all TRW parts (minus receiver, of course).  It is a thing of beauty and a tack-driver.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]

TRW were the best M14 manufacturers, I believe they helped build some of our ICBM arsenal as well. Very cool. He probably sold one that was converted to semi without realizing it was auto. He is screwed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes.

TRW was one of the four manufacturers of M14s.  Looks like he got a surplused one.
View Quote

Ah. Got it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My M14 is a Polytech receiver and the rest is TRW parts and built into a National Match, by a x Marine Armorer, that is now a armorer for the local Sheriff Dept. It shoots very well.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Dad carried a TRW in Vietnam.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]

So, a TRW M-14 is out of circulation?

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#7]
TRW parts ARE all that...and a bit more.  I had a Scout Squad made of TRW parts.....to say it was a damn good gun would be an understatement.

Mind you....I am a bit biased....but it's only because I understand the company.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:13:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the day, specifying TRW parts for a M1A build was a bit of a desirable 'upgrade'.  My M14 (semi) wears all TRW parts, except the receiver, of course.  Turkeys Running Wild was the industry nickname for TRW.  My issue M14 on the submarine was a TRW.

More TRW trivia;  the movie Falcon and the Snowman was based on a TRW employee, allegedly.

Ray
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

All of the receivers are verboten.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I work in El Segundo, CA, where TRW built satellite systems until they were purchased by  Northrop Grumman in 2002.  I have friends who used to work there.

I also have some TRW parts, including this.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Privately owned?

How?!

Trade for kidney?
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 4:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Privately owned?

How?!

Trade for kidney?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Privately owned?

How?!

Trade for kidney?

Maybe you should offer me only half a kidney.  Unfortunately, it has been chopped.  Fred's used to sell them (chopped) for very little.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes.

ETA:  TRW is reputed to have the best quality of all the M14s, because they got their contract after Winchester, H&R, and Springfield had learned from their mistakes, plus TRW had aerospace industry QC experience.  I have a Springfield Armory M1A built with all TRW parts (minus receiver, of course).  It is a thing of beauty and a tack-driver.
View Quote
I can vouch for the quality of TRW M-14 rifles:

I worked for them for ~ 35 years, and participated in a Quality Assurance review of the M-14 manufacturing process at the Tapco plant in Cleveland, Ohio during that era. Their quality products were reflective of the type of quality people employed there .......

eg., Fred Crawford of Thompson Air Race fame, Jimmy Doolittle, Leader of the WW2 B-25 bombing raid on Tokyo in 1942, Stan Pace, WW2 B-24 bomber pilot in the famous 1944 high-casualty raid on the Ploesti oil fields in Europe. Things are different around here now.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a TRW in basic training, a Springfield in AIT and a TRW at Fort Hood. In Vietnam I was issued a brand new Colt's M16A1.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#15]

TRW is no better than SA.  They all had to pass the same acceptance trials.

SA did the prototyping and blueprinting of them...then handed the prints to TRW.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:48:55 PM EDT
[#16]
My agency had a handful of these very same TRW guns.  All semi-auto but still technically considered full auto receivers.  My issued M-14 was H&R.  They were all federal surplus loan. We had a total of around 70, m-14s. Unfortunately we had to send them all back a couple years ago and now have poodle shooter Stag ARs. Guessing they are now in a federal warehouse somewhere? They were sweet shooting rifles.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
TRW is no better than SA.  They all had to pass the same acceptance trials.

SA did the prototyping and blueprinting of them...then handed the prints to TRW.

View Quote

Not true at all. Bing m14 rifle history and development and start reading, TRW guns were quite a bit better than anything the other factories put out. Small parts differences too such as op rods.

ETA: Also Hahn rewelded semi m14s and a few semi modified full auto receivers USGI M14s were awarded to competition shooters. ATF lost the court case after confiscating them. A few were amnesty registered  in 68 and more NFA rewelds were made from torched m14s as well. M14s are out there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if you got a demilled one, ground off the attachment point for the happy switch, then welded it together(assuming enough skill to do it right)? If done in this order a BREN build using parts from a demilled receiver is legal-one of our members has one-so why not a M14?
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What if you got a demilled one, ground off the attachment point for the happy switch, then welded it together(assuming enough skill to do it right)? If done in this order a BREN build using parts from a demilled receiver is legal-one of our members has one-so why not a M14?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was done, see above. ETA: AFIAK only Hahn guns are GTG in semi and were atf approved. Buyer beware on non marked guns.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It was done, see above. ETA: AFIAK only Hahn guns are GTG in semi and were atf approved. Buyer beware on non marked guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed that when I read through before-So if I wanted to do it myself, or have a manufacturer friend do it for me, I'd have to submit it for approval then right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:I missed that when I read through before-So if I wanted to do it myself, or have a manufacturer friend do it for me, I'd have to submit it for approval then right?
View Quote

Essentially, not going to happen. Reweld M14s that aren't Hahn or NFA have always been a cluster that pretty much always end up in seized guns and a legal case. Even some Hahn guns were said to be made from "rewelds" of guns that never got demilled to the specs they submitted. I'd only buy one FTF as most dealers would probably think a USGI M14 is suspect either way. Not worth the hassle imo.

Info on another group that tried:
MKS "rewelds"
Many more on the same forum on rewelds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top