Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2002 11:40:12 AM EDT
This won't be the first or last time this happens. Hope that you don't have nosy, vindictive and hysterical neighbors.

[url=abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/homefront.html]Wrongly Jailed 9/11 Suspect Sues FBI Agent[/url]

N E W   Y O R K, Dec. 13 — An Egyptian student [b]wrongly jailed for a month[/b] as a suspect in the Sept. 11 attacks filed a $20 million lawsuit Thursday against the FBI agent who extracted his false confession.

Abdallah Higazy, 31, also sued the Hilton hotel chain and a former security guard for telling authorities an aviation radio was found inside Higazy's hotel room overlooking the World Trade Center soon after the terrorist attacks.

After he was taken into custody in December 2001, Higazy denied the radio was his, then "confessed" during a polygraph exam after Higazy said the agent threatened and intimidated him.

He was charged with lying to investigators but cleared days later when the radio's true owner, a pilot, returned to the hotel to retrieve the device.

"I want a public apology, a written apology," Higazy said Thursday.

Former hotel security guard Ronald Ferry pleaded guilty to lying to investigators when he told them he found the radio, which is used to communicate with commercial airline pilots, in a safe inside Higazy's room.

Higazy's lawyer, Robert Dunn, said they were considering filing additional claims against the federal government for its handling of the case.

The suit claims Michael Templeton, the agent who administered the lie-detector test, coerced the false confession from Higazy by threatening to make his family's life in Egypt "a living hell."

[b]Manhattan U.S. Attorney James Comey declined to comment on the lawsuit Thursday. He has said previously he was "very proud of the way our office and the FBI conducted itself in the Higazy case."[/b]

Kevin Donovan, the head of the FBI's New York office, noted a government inquiry cleared all the agents involved.

A Hilton spokeswoman said the company would not comment. A call to Ferry's lawyer was not immediately returned.

— The Associated Press
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This won't be the first or last time this happens.
View Quote
What makes you think it was the [b]first[/b] time this has happened? [>:/]

Corruption and abuse have been around since day one. It grows directly proportional to the size of Gov't.

Reduce the size of Gov't - reduce the amount of oppressive acts like this.

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#2]
And once again mac comes in and takes up for HIS bunch of goose-steppers.....come on Mac, what if it had been Reno and her boys......that little cuban kid had you all burned up didn't it....The dem's were monsters for sending him home and now the repubs are your gods for putting innocents in jail and having them framed......
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thing is, I never understand the "tricked confession", or "coerced confession" or whatever.  If I didn't do shit, then they get the same story, over and over and over and over.  "Your radio?" "No." "anything to do with the planes crashing?" "no."

"Lawyer?" "Yes, all five of them."

Me [s]thinks[/s] knows there has to be more to the story than that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]
So, let's see, a FOREIGN NATIONAL, in the country on a student visa, is arrested after other foreign nationals from the same area in the country on the same type of visa, perpetrate the worst act of terrorism in US history...and since it turns out he wasn't guilty, the FBI was wrong to arrest him?
Imbroglio, you and hound make a cute couple.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, and the hotel security guard that committed a crime by lying about where he found the radio.............that is because of the size of the govt?

Sometimes people do really stupid, criminal things, like make up stuff to accuse other people of a crime.

Of course the post 9/11 hysteria wouldn't be an reason to be extra zealous when questioning a suspected terrorist woud it? That wouldn't have happened to anybody but a govt type, right?

The guy who can be so lacking in personal fiber that he admits to being a terrorst has no responsibility for his own plight does he?
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And once again mac comes in and takes up for HIS bunch of goose-steppers.....come on Mac, what if it had been Reno and her boys......that little cuban kid had you all burned up didn't it....The dem's were monsters for sending him home and now the repubs are your gods for putting innocents in jail and having them framed......
View Quote

WTF are you talking about??? [whacko]

Did you even READ my post? WHERE did I state or even IMPLY that I support corruption and abuse???

"HIS bunch of goose-steppers"!?

Listen dillhole, if you had even half a brain you'd be twice as better off as you are now!

I said the way to reduce corruption and abuse is to reduce the size of Gov't. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY!!

But if you think we can keep this megajuggernaut of bloated Federal Gov't as big as it is getting and reduce abuse of power - you tell me how.

[stick]

(Damn, I'm gonna have to get another stick.)
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]

On second read, I see the Gov't was lied to by the Hotel employee. Well, I guess it's not a problem of Gov't origin - it's pure stupidity on the part of the Hotel worker.

But my original statement still stands.

What makes you think it was the [b]first[/b] time this has happened? [>:/]

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree they should not be arresting these guys, They should be deporting all of them!
As long as the US is full of foreign nationals that Hate the USA & will do everything in their power to destroy it, We will never be safe!
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
how about this...mac. people like you quit voting for the republican party and tell the son of the most despicable man to ever run the CIA to go to saudi and eat sand. you ok with that?
And every time he opens his mouth you declare that he is lying, just like we did with william jackoff clinton...every time you support the party you support corruption and abuse. every time you support that asscroft, you support having a foreign country take away your rights.

And now to little rikky, since you can't seem to get this through your head, constitutional rights cover every body in the country or none of them. You better hope that "egyptian" national becomes a citizens and stands up for you when they label you a terrorist, cause otherwise you are on your own.
And OLY, you have got to be kidding, a US gov't employee threatening a student to force a confession and you are going to let it get by?
You want a brown shirt to go with those jack boots?
Shivan some of these people have been in custody for over a year with no access to a lawyer or messages from their family...pretty nice policy from the home of the free.

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:34:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Shivan some of these people have been in custody for over a year with no access to a lawyer or messages from their family...pretty nice policy from the home of the free.
View Quote

All right.........fuck it!!!!  

1) Let's get armed.
2) Let's get some horses.
3) Let's ride right in to Gitmo and bust these motherfuckers out.  Kick some ass and take some names.  Fucking kill them all and let God/Allah/{fill in name of supreme being here} sort them out.

Wait, that's all against the law.  Fuck!

[Joe Pesche]OK, OK, OK.....I got it.[/Joe Pesche]

Let's bitch about it on an internet forum board.  I keep asking this of the people who lead these charges day in and day out:

What exactly are you doing about it other than bitching to your brothers in arms?  If it is that damn important to you, then get down to Capitol Hill and start protesting.  Start marching.  Hire some lower income families to fill out your ranks (like the Dems do), and do it up right.  Maybe I'm jaded being a middle class white guy.

Nobody seems to want to pick on me today. [rolleyes]  I'm not getting hassled by cops, I'm not getting strung up on some trumped up charges for being a terrorist, Hell, I fit the fucking SNIPER profile to a tee and I didn't even get a visit by the ATF.

I want some fucking stuff to bitch about on an internet board.  I want to use the slippery slope as a basis for all my arguing.  If they start harassing poor black mothers, that graduated from Harvard, but that have 15 kids, and a white husband, who is a proctologist, and 1.4 drug addicted children, then you BETTER FUCKING BELIEVE IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!!!!!!!

Um, why was that again?  Why would they come hunting me down?  Are you going to give me odds?  I'll take some action at say 1,000,000:1.

[b]Edited to add:  You see what you made me do.....I typed so fast I overheated your tinfoil hat.  Now you have to make a visit to the sheetmetal shop and get a new one made.  Sorry.[/b]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:38:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to be the first to say [i]IBTL[/i] !!
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Shivan flies the flag of the free but as long as the jbt's ain't knocking down his door it is ok. I really hope you have no military background, I really hope that there is no one that looks up to you, I really hope that you have no kids and no family that looks up to you and thinks that you are a good man. You are a coward crouching in the dark and hoping that somebody else gets a boot to the head and not you. Here is a list of words for you, keep them close to you so that the authorities know what you are---tory,collaborationist,comrade,informer,
boot-licker,enemy agent, traitor,turn-coat.
Now are you riled up? I hope so. You want to say something to me? You go back and you read what you wrote and say the words aloud and think that you are living in Berlin and they are leading Jews through the street as you ride to club to here the latest Tuetonic songstress. You want to know what I am doing, I am grinding everyone I talk to down to ground, because I don't stop when it comes to politics. I talk to people about GW SR being the director of the CIA when it was running drugs into California. I talk to everyone that will sit still about guns and gun rights and most of all I do not supporrt eithe of tthe current parties in anything. I am that new political animal...the no compromise bunch and when people who have been getting screwed over for the last 60 years finally run out of rope, we will be all that is left. Enjoy your ride.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah....

So are you going to give me odds?  Or do I have to go to my regular bookie?

Are [b]you[/b] riled up yet?  Sounds like you need some meds.  

Do you know me?  Didn't think so....so shut it the fuck up.  K?

Great, now back to the show.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
how about this...mac. people like you quit voting for the republican party and tell the son of the most despicable man to ever run the CIA to go to saudi and eat sand. you ok with that?
View Quote
Can't say that I am ok with that.

How bouts you do what Ron Paul did and JOIN the Republican party and start working to change it back to the way it should be.

And who a man's father is beyond his control so why bring that up?

But I'd rather he just ignore Saudi and cut them off from any ties to the US.

Quoted:
And every time he opens his mouth you declare that he is lying, just like we did with william jackoff clinton
View Quote
No one's as good a liar as Klinton. Not all liars are created equal.

Quoted:
...every time you support the party you support corruption and abuse. every time you support that asscroft, you support having a foreign country take away your rights.
View Quote
That includes Ron Paul?

HE supports the Republican Party, Bush and Ashcroft - but not all the time. And neither do I.

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#15]
That's right I should live in fear all my days on this Earth.....remember everybody this is the New World Order -- codename?

ChickenLittle

I guess every person who gets their door kicked in is innocent right?  Sounds like the gov't cooked up a good one this time.

Some dumbfucking hotel handyman tells the FBI he saw a radio and they act on it.  Sounds like they need to cool the fuck down, sounds a lot like first grade fights where Billy used to balme everyhting on me and I'd get busted for it.  But the funny thing was my story never involved me confessing, no matter the threat level they pushed, no matter the threat level my father pushed.

How is it that our boy copped to something he wasn't involved in?  Maybe he copped to it but now found out that don't have enough to convict him, so now he sues.  Cause now he's got the Feds by the ball sack.....

Are you worried about your door getting kicked in?  Why?
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Ron Paul....the communists have names for agents they use called useful  idiots......has Ron manage to change one thing? nope. looks like that approach won't work. Ron Paul makes them look good while they scrwew us.I bring up Senior because him and junior have been business partners with Saudi. And Gw sr is supposed to be a hero right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ron Paul....the communists have names for agents they use called useful  idiots......has Ron manage to change one thing? nope. looks like that approach won't work. Ron Paul makes them look good while they scrwew us.
View Quote

Ron Paul - useful idiot.

Interesting.

So I guess you're just pissed that YOUR brand of conservatism is not the majority in this country.

The way I see it, 40ish% of the country is Democrat and will NEVER vote conservative. That leaves 60%.

And half of that 60% is forever "moderate conservative Bush/McCainiac-types". That leaves 30%.

Of that, another third is just whacko ultra right-wing fringe anarchists. That leaves 20% that you might call "rational, hard-line conservatives".

I'm on one end of that 20%, you're probably on the other. Between us is only about 1/5 of the total voting population. Not exactly a "mandate" for change.

Pretty bleak, eh?

Quoted:
I bring up Senior because him and junior have been business partners with Saudi. And Gw sr is supposed to be a hero right?
View Quote
Other than what BushSr did to rejuvenate the military in the Gulf War which finally shook the Vietnam monkey off the military's back that it had been carrying for 20yrs - besides that, I can't think of one other thing BushSr did that I think is all that good for America.

[i]{thinking}[/i]...[:|]

Nope - can't think of another good thing.

Link Posted: 12/13/2002 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And OLY, you have got to be kidding, a US gov't employee threatening a student to force a confession and you are going to let it get by?
You want a brown shirt to go with those jack boots?
View Quote

When there are several trees standing together, they become a forest.

My point ISN'T that the govt didn't do anything wrong.

But then again, a "witness" lied, and produced physical evidence of an incriminating nature, and tied it to a possible suspect.

That suspect, CONFESSED to having that physical evidence, that was planted by the untruthful witness.

All three had a hand in this. The FBI guy was cleared by an investigation into his conduct.

I guess they couldn't threaten and intimidate him into admitting something he didn't do.

What does that mean? Is there video of the polygraph? the interview? Were other people present during the interview? Was there a misunderstanding of language that made the student feel intimidated? Or was the FBI agent very persistent in questioning the student?

Or is the student a victim of unfortunate circumsrances, lying witness, and born without a spine, who is looking to capitalize on a situation that he helped create?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top