[#1]
Wasn't it orginally a Spenser?

And then bought by Winchester?

Link Posted: 4/16/2001 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe the 94 was a Browning design.

Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:04:17 AM EDT
[#3]
IT was indeed a Browing design,He also designed the 86,92,95, Lever Action Winchesters as well as the 1890 pump.22, model 96? pump shotgun (first pump shotgun made) My understanding is he left Winchester over a disagreement reguarding the model 96 shotgun, He then went to work for Colt,
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
It was a John Moses Browning design. I believe the first of many that he designed for Wincheter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a book that is a biography of the life of John M. Browning that every gun enthusiast should read. This guy was a GENIUS when it comes to firearms! I will dig it out and post the Title and Author later on.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Mr. Winchester?
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Mr winchester...c`mon... you guys are GOOD! history channel of course! but that`s not where i got the info.....anyway, as i said you guys know what`s up!!!! i`ll try to find a HARDER QUESTION this time......do you think the gun design talent ran in that family?......get ready for the next quiz...B&G.....[heavy]........P.S....wilson, YOU did your homework.....[beer]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, Browning, and (I may take heat from this) the '94 is my fav gun.  Just beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah stubbs, get ready for the heat.....[pyro]
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SILVER SURFER:
Mr. Winchester?
View Quote

Mr winchester didnt invent shit. he was a buisness man, i belive he sold mens clothing. he bought the company as an investment.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#13]
For those of you who take THE HISTORY CHANNEL as gospel, keep in mind it isn't.  Recently, one of their shows discussed Alfred Nobel, as the inventor of Dynamite(He was) and then went on to say that dynamite is TNT(it Isn't) Not everything on TV(even educational) is accurate or well researched.  Also in the same episode implied that ALL modern machine guns are takeoffs on Gatlings.  Oh well.  [heavy]

Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#14]
The book to read on this subject is called "John M. Browning-American Gunmaker" by John Browning and Curt Gentry. This is THE authoritative biography of the GREATEST American gunmaker who ever lived-if you believe otherwise then you NEED to read this book. Browning designed almost every gun that Winchester sold for about 30 years including the 94 lever gun, the Model 97 pump shotgun, the Model 12 pump shotgun, and a number of others. He designed the Browning Auto-5 shotgun nearly 100 years ago and it is still one fo the finest semi-auto shotguns available today. He designed the Browning Superposed shotgun about 75 years ago and it is arguably one of the best built over/unders ever built(don't argue with me on this one unless you have owned and shot the hell out of a couple of them). He is also the father of the American machine gun-he designed over sixty .30 cal machine guns for our military, not to mention the Colt 1911 pistol and its predecessors. You can say what you want about the Gatling gun but it was a peashooter compared to Browning's designs. No other individual in history has made the contributions to the firearms industry that John M. Browning did and probably no one else ever will ever come close to the magnitude of his accomplishments. Every firearms enthusiast should add this book to his or her library.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#15]
THANKS..finnbear....that was my source for the question!!!!...B&G.....[sniper]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top