Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2002 3:18:58 AM EDT
Do any of you have extra insurance for your guns over and above your Homeowners Policy allotment? My homeowners only goes to $5,000 and I inquired about additional and I was told I would have to have ALL of my guns appraised and documented.....ummmm...I really would rather not...

I saw an ad in Shotgun News for additional insurance and they also want a list from what I gathered...

What do you guys do?

You know, just in case I ever get to that $5,000 mark [;D]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:26:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to www.mynra.com and look under the beni's section. I know there are a couple of plans available for firearms insurance since I am looking into it myself.

Hope this helps!

Rob
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok..Not to offend anyone, but I thought about the $1,000 from the NRA before I posted, but I didn't comment.

I don't belong to the NRA..I am an Instructor with them only because I have to be in order to teach CCW...

I quit the NRA years ago as I am sure many of you did and for the same reasons... We don't support sell outs..

Additionally, $1,000 really is a drop in the bucket..But, I will check out anything supplimental over and above membership..

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#5]
We had to get everything appraised for our
insurance. I know its a hassle but what can you do.

The premium is not bad though.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We had to get everything appraised for our
insurance. I know its a hassle but what can you do.

The premium is not bad though.

Good luck.
View Quote

What is the procedure if you add or delete some of your collection? Do you need all new pieces appraised too?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Az_Redneck

I have never deleted anything but anytime we add
something we get the rider updated.

It's been fairly simple, just get it appraised
and add to the list.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is a P&C agent. She's started to see underwriters actually CANCEL policies where gunowners have declared themselves as such on their annual questionaire. They have also started to refuse to write new policies for gunowners.

We carry a separate rider for our guns. It's not too expensive, but it increased our umbrella policy premium costs for liability risk purposes.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Collectibles Insurance Agency is very good and also pretty inexpensive.  I am a happy customer.

[url]http://www.collectinsure.com/[/url]

GunLvr
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Check your policy carefully, the limit may only apply to theft. So, in a fire you might be made whole up to the limit of the policy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 9:33:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
My agent is a shooter. When I inquired about this, he told me the fastest way to get cancelled in Nazi Jersey is to tell your home owners carrier you have firearms on the premises. I chose an alternate path. I have motion detectors, an alarm system, stong doors, good locks, a gun safe, a bad attitude, a van, and a place to dump the body where it would never be found.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Collectibles Insurance Agency is very good and also pretty inexpensive.  I am a happy customer.

[url]http://www.collectinsure.com/[/url]

GunLvr
View Quote

Looks like an interesting place, I am going to look into it some more...
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I have State Farm.  Just told them what I wanted for firearms insurance.  She asked for a list of the guns with serial numbers and I told her no way.  I told her I would keep a record of them just like everthing else.  She said that would be fine.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My agent is a shooter. When I inquired about this, he told me the fastest way to get cancelled in Nazi Jersey is to tell your home owners carrier you have firearms on the premises. I chose an alternate path. I have motion detectors, an alarm system, stong doors, good locks, a gun safe, a bad attitude, a van, and a place to dump the body where it would never be found.
View Quote

best advice ive heard so far, insurance is just another back door registration.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I just spoke with my insurance company, USAA. I can get a $4000 floater policy for $5 a month. I guess that doesn't seem too bad. However, having to appraise my firearms and send them a list of serial numbers is kind of displeasing.

Heh... he gave me the old "no illegal firearms... no ak's, silencers, machine guns..etc..".

You should have heard his jaw hit the floor when i informed him these items are legal in most states.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a safe and a home alarm and my Collectibles Insurance premium is about $68/year for $15,000 of coverage.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top