Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2014 9:34:33 AM EDT
What should I buy? What should I look for? Never played before but looking for to buy gun, protective wear, etc... Are the Walmart guns crap? Don't mind spending $$$ if it actually gets you something.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Couldn't help you much today.. We played with auto-cockers and had just got an Eclipse Angle when I stopped..

Walmart guns are shit, find a real paintball store. Buy quality paint.. Learn snap shooting. Go over the top.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
plenty of decent 4 year old guns going for decent pricing these daze

most of my stuff is old school 2003 tech, but still perfectly functional muppet face shooting gear.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Woods or speed ball?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Couldn't help you much today.. We played with auto-cockers and had just got an Eclipse Angle when I stopped..

Walmart guns are shit, find a real paintball store. Buy quality paint.. Learn snap shooting. Go over the top.
View Quote

we must have quit about the same time.

Autocockers, automags (I think) and that motorized hopper.. no not the halo, before that. Nitrogen was gaining popularity.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Paintballs are never--that's NEVER--to be confused with gumballs, no matter how drunk you are.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Stay away from Walmart.

Go to pbnation.com

Use the classifieds buy a used gun from bob long, planet eclipse, dye, or other mid/high end gun that's a few generations old.

You can probably get one for less than 200 and it'll be just as good as a 1200 gun, except it won't be 1/4000 of an oz lighter.

Get the best mask you can afford and a compressed air tank.

Everything else you can peice together.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Woods or speed ball?
View Quote

Woods, I think I want a full auto
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Dying, and overly expensive hobby that was most popular over a decade ago. I got back into playing last year after a long hiatus, quickly dumping nearly a grand in new gear, gun etc. I played 3 days, and sold all my shit. From what I saw in my limited time back in paintball there was no true walkon player types left. There were the noobs that didn't know how to do shit, then there were the jersey ESPN wannabe douchebags that think they are playing some sport.

I personally think airsoft is miles ahead, and much cheaper to play. Both hobbies have the type that take it far too seriously.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Just be careful. I went paintballing with some high school friends when we were all back in town for the holidays. For me, as a thirty year old normal guy, going paintballing was like stepping through the looking glass into bizarro-world. Fat guys in multicam, zitfaced teenagers, virgins. All these creatures were somehow the cool kids in this ass backwards culture.
If you rent guns be prepared to have a gun that has maybe 1/3 the range of the people who take it very seriously. That said, with a little bit of athleticism you can out maneuver most of them and still manage to do alright. It was fun enough.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woods or speed ball?

Full-auto is a hindrance.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woods or speed ball?

I don't play anymore, but I prefer a single shot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What should I buy? What should I look for? Never played before but looking for to buy gun, protective wear, etc... Are the Walmart guns crap? Don't mind spending $$$ if it actually gets you something.
View Quote

What's your budget? What style of play are you planning on, woodsball? Speedball? Both? Have any gear already?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Paintballs are never--that's NEVER--to be confused with gumballs, no matter how drunk you are.
View Quote

clearly there's a good story there.

OP: don't buy into the paintball "arms race"
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#14]
We used to play on the confidence course at the local Army base while it was still an open base. There's nothing more fun then getting slaughtered by a team made of 11Bs.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
A great starter marker is a Gog eNmey.

All mechanical, but not clunky like a blowback, it will grow with you as you get better.

If you have never played before though go to a field and rent for a few games, then see if you like the sport and want to continue.

If you are on a budget, buy in this order. Mask, Tank, Hopper, Marker, and rent what you need when you play.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woods or speed ball?

No you don't.

Lots of fields don't allow it anyway, and it is a waste of paint. At $60 a case blasting 20bps at a bunker is an expensive day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dying, and overly expensive hobby that was most popular over a decade ago. I got back into playing last year after a long hiatus, quickly dumping nearly a grand in new gear, gun etc. I played 3 days, and sold all my shit. From what I saw in my limited time back in paintball there was no true walkon player types left. There were the noobs that didn't know how to do shit, then there were the jersey ESPN wannabe douchebags that think they are playing some sport.

I personally think airsoft is miles ahead, and much cheaper to play. Both hobbies have the type that take it far too seriously.
View Quote

It probably depends on your area and fields.

There are lots of people around here that have gear but only play a few times a year, and the fields in the area are very cool about walk ons and the "locals" always split themselves up to even the teams.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Just be careful. I went paintballing with some high school friends when we were all back in town for the holidays. For me, as a thirty year old normal guy, going paintballing was like stepping through the looking glass into bizarro-world. Fat guys in multicam, zitfaced teenagers, virgins. All these creatures were somehow the cool kids in this ass backwards culture.

If you rent guns be prepared to have a gun that has maybe 1/3 the range of the people who take it very seriously. That said, with a little bit of athleticism you can out maneuver most of them and still manage to do alright. It was fun enough.
View Quote
No kidding. When I went with some friends, we got raped by a squad with full-auto guns and ghille suits.

We had semi-auto tippmans and orange.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's your budget? What style of play are you planning on, woodsball? Speedball? Both? Have any gear already?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never played before but I have a wooded ranch and some friends and I are planning on getting together to play.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Never played before but I have a wooded ranch and some friends and I are planning on getting together to play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's the case then you will want to go with CO2 and a blowback marker. Fast firing and CO2 are not a good mix.

Also probably want to invest in a hand held chrono to limit your markers to 280, anything above 300 can get dangerous.

Honestly though if you have never played  you should go to an actual field and rent, they will give you a good rundown of the safety and rules.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Airsoft gives you more bang for you're buck and allows you to use more realistic platforms. You can find copies of most real guns you might own. If you're dead-set on PB and want a quality auto, be prepared to shell out several hundred dollars. I haven't been into it for several years but seem to recall that auto-cockers were good quality. You'll want to look into getting a regulated nitrogen system instead of CO2. That will be expensive also. An electric hopper is going to go a long way to reducing feed issues on auto. And as others have said, you need high quality paint. Don't buy anything from Walmart- it's all garbage. 32 Degrees makes a lot of good stuff, check out their website.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If that's the case then you will want to go with CO2 and a blowback marker. Fast firing and CO2 are not a good mix.

Also probably want to invest in a hand held chrono to limit your markers to 180, anything above 200 can get dangerous.

Honestly though if you have never played  you should go to an actual field and rent, they will give you a good rundown of the safety and rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also probably want to invest in a hand held chrono to limit your markers to 180, anything above 200 can get dangerous.

180???  Local fields limit at 250-280 fps and tourney limit is 300 fps..

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:11:16 AM EDT
[#23]
full auto?

I have an 2004 AKA viking that will run at 20 balls per second

walking a paint hosing stream is fun, but at 20 BPS a 180 round hopper is empty in 10 seconds

your 20 bps marker will need a hopper to keep up with the demand and a deep breathing tank.

If you are running your own outlaw field, recharging your air supply will be a factor

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For some reason I was thinking 180 and 200, you are right. 280 and 300
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:11:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woods or speed ball?

you want an multi-mode electronic trigger.

you can program it to ramp up to full auto
fire a burst of x rounds
fire on pull, fire on release, both

etc
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Airsoft gives you more bang for you're buck and allows you to use more realistic platforms. You can find copies of most real guns you might own. If you're dead-set on PB and want a quality auto, be prepared to shell out several hundred dollars. I haven't been into it for several years but seem to recall that auto-cockers were good quality. You'll want to look into getting a regulated nitrogen system instead of CO2. That will be expensive also. An electric hopper is going to go a long way to reducing feed issues on auto. And as others have said, you need high quality paint. Don't buy anything from Walmart- it's all garbage. 32 Degrees makes a lot of good stuff, check out their website.
View Quote

Autocockers are excellent guns, and there is nothing more rewarding than eliminating players with them, but they are not for novice players. They are difficult to maintain as they are essentially a self cocking pump gun. I've owned a couple, and still never felt comfortable working on them.

OP look at Empire Axe markers is you want something that can be used in the woods as well as tournaments if you end up playing at that level. It is relatively inexpensive, very upgradeable and fast. It can do full auto, psp, and any modes you can think of.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

300fps and up is dangerous (but mostly because it can crack mask lenses). 180 would be a pussy game, and you may not be able to feel an impact and call yourself out through the adrenaline and heavier clothing.

My friends and I used to chrono between 250 and 280 or so.

OP, get a chromo and you'll be fine. Set some base rules with your friends (e.g. allow them to surrender to you if they don't want to get within ten feet, etc.) and just have fun. If you end up becoming more serious or end up playing often, you can always upgrade gear later, but keep in mind that gear quality and player ability tend to scale to a certain point. Some appearances are deceptive, but if you go to a field and play with a mech marker against a guy tht's all decked out, chances are you'll get nailed based on sheer volume alone. Once you get realy good, go back out with a mechanical marker and smoke 'em.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:14:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Honestly OP if you are playing on private property you will have more fun with airsoft.

You won't be able to fill HPA tanks at your house without multiple scuba tanks, and playing with CO2 sucks.

Go to a field for paintball and for the 10 bucks you spend you get refs and air fills all day.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

pretty much sums it all up right there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
wat

300fps and up is dangerous (but mostly because it can crack mask lenses). 180 would be a pussy game, and you may not be able to feel an impact and call yourself out through the adrenaline and heavier clothing.

My friends and I used to chrono between 250 and 280 or so.

OP, get a chromo and you'll be fine. Set some base rules with your friends (e.g. allow them to surrender to you if they don't want to get within ten feet, etc.) and just have fun. If you end up becoming more serious or end up playing often, you can always upgrade gear later, but keep in mind that gear quality and player ability tend to scale to a certain point. Some appearances are deceptive, but if you go to a field and play with a mech marker against a guy tht's all decked out, chances are you'll get nailed based on sheer volume alone. Once you get realy good, go back out with a mechanical marker and smoke 'em.
View Quote

Yeah, I had my numbers mixed up.

Last year we went to an event and my friends e-marker crapped out on him. He went and got a 98 from the rental shop and put his rotor and hpa tank on.

His kill count was massive and he had a grin on his face the whole time.

I love mech markers, they are a riot to play with, and simple to diagnose. I am not opposed to e-markers if that's your thing, but I seem to see a lot of people spending just as much time tuning as they are playing with them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Stay away from Wal-Mart stuff.  Go rent the first time, see if you even like it.  If you want to keep playing, look for a nice mid level electric gun, hopper, High pressure air tank, and decent goggles.  If anything, buy the goggles first as the rental stuff is, well, rental stuff.  Since you want to do woods, I would try to stay with a poppet valve design as they tend towards more shots per tank.  I agree, don't get caught up in the arms race. The $1500.00 markers aren't worth the premium over something in the $350.00 range, they all shoot the same fps at the same rate.  A lot of fun, but hard on the old body, lol.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a Tippmann 98 Custum for a first gun.  Walmart sometimes even carries this model in a complete kit, or you can buy one used for abou $75.
Great starter gun

It's the AK-47 of paintball. You can upgrade just about every part on this marker. If you ever get a high end gun, this one makes a good back up or loaner.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I played with a VM68 for years and still bring it out on occasion.   It was a great gun at the time, stout as hell.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to be a Ref and a sales person at a local shop a few years ago. I have owned MANY fancy markers. I don't play much anymore, but the one marker I will always have is the Tippmann 98 Custom. I sold dozens of them. They are the AK47 of the paintball world. A real solid starter marker. Used ones can be found for $50 and under.

A cost effective way to go, would be just a simple Tippmann 98 Custom, a spare parts kit (with spare small parts, o-rings, springs and tools) a couple CO2 tanks, a decent set of thermal (fog proof) goggles. A GOOD pair of goggles will make your experience a whole lot better, especially if you are in a hot or humid area. Do not buy any of the cheep $30 goggles at walmart. I currently use a JT ProFlex. Nothing is worse than running around the woods blind. On a 20oz CO2 tank, you could expect to get 700-1000 shots with your 98 Custom. The Custom is cheap and easily upgraded. First things i would look at are a new barrel and a decent agitating loader.  J&J makes a nice single piece ceramic barrel that I like for the 98. look at a 12" or 14". That's plenty long to use the gas in your marker effectively while also improving accuracy. For backyard play, the 98 really doesn't need much more than that, but you can decide for yourself what you want to change. Keep the velocity UNDER 300 feet per second. Use the barrel bag off the field, keep your goggles ON while you're in range and on the field, and make sure your buddies do the same. Its all fun until someone gets hurt. I can't count all the accidental discharges in the staging area I saw while reffing. Not using a barrel bag or goggles correctly would get you the boot, fast.

Play safe and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:29:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Get a Tippmann 98 Custum for a first gun.  Walmart sometimes even carries this model in a complete kit, or you can buy one used for abou $75.
Great starter gun

It's the AK-47 of paintball. You can upgrade just about every part on this marker. If you ever get a high end gun, this one makes a good back up or loaner.
View Quote

I like BT-4 a bit better.

It uses parts from both a 98 and an A5. Heavy as shit and pretty long, but like the 98 it just won't die.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:31:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Spyder compact 2000 FTW! Just kidding that's what I had when I was a kid. Thought I was a bad ass
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:41:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Minus the airsoft part. I don't know jack about that.

I quit about 4 years ago because it just became to expensive and places to play for an hour away from me. I've played for fun, I've played scenarios, and I've played in tournaments. OP, don't buy anything at Wal Mart. What type of games will you be playing? Just for fun with friends? Trying to get into tournaments like Xball, PSP? Do you want a marker that looks tacticool or not?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I quit about 4 years ago because it just became to expensive and places to play for an hour away from me. I've played for fun, I've played scenarios, and I've played in tournaments. OP, don't buy anything at Wal Mart. What type of games will you be playing? Just for fun with friends? Trying to get into tournaments like Xball, PSP? Do you want a marker that looks tacticool or not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the point where airsoft really beats out paintball is cost. while yes you can blow well over a grand on an airsoft gun you can get into a decent gun for less than $400 and the ammo is cheap. and despite what arfcom seems to think, the vast majority of airsoft players do get that it's just a game.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#39]
whoops, double tap
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Open your wallet. Speaking from experience. My A5 was the hugest money pit I've ever seen, and then I switched to electronic and never looked back. I'm sure you could find yourself a good used electronic marker fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#41]
And if you choose to splurge on one item, make it goggles. You'll thank yourself every time you put them on.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And if you choose to splurge on one item, make it goggles. You'll thank yourself every time you put them on.
View Quote

This.

Other recommended items include HPA tanks, powered loaders, and electronic triggers.

I still shoot a Shocktech Intimidator I built 7 years ago and it keeps up just fine with modern guns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFT, a good mask makes the whole experience so much more pleasant.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Go to PBnation.com and go to the B/S/T Electronic markers section.

Look for a 07 or 08 Planet Eclipse EGO (ego7 or ego8), IIRC they go for around $300, they are light, very fast, very efficient and possibly the most reliable marker out there. They only run on Compressed air or nitrogen though, CO2 will destroy them.

As for a Mask look at Vforce Profilers or Grillz. I have both and they are very comfortable and neither would fog the lenses, even in the heat of summer. They are a touch pricey but a cheap crappy mask will ruin an otherwise good day

For an air tank again look on PBnation, just about any 68/4500 tank will do ( 68 CI 4500 psi). A fiber tank is your best bet, the hydro test last longer and the tank is lighter than an aluminum or steel tank

the hopper to look for are either the empire prophecy or dye rotor. A Halo hopper is a decent budget alternative too

Here is some links to check out with some markers

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4070878&highlight=ego7

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4067406&highlight=ego7

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4056771&highlight=ego7
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#45]
I still have my Spyder Shutter with a anti chop bolt.
I have a couple Tippmann 98's for woods ball for friends to play.
I have probably 8k rounds that are 10 + years old. 20 CO2 tanks out of hydro but full.
Have not played in 10 + years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Autocockers, automags (I think) and that motorized hopper.. no not the halo, before that. Nitrogen was gaining popularity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped around 2000-2001. Was playing on the semi-pro / pro level with SC Ironmen and Shockwave. Was on the same team as Eric Felix for about a year. Dave Bassman owned a field and ran the team so we had access to the field every weekend as well as good sponcers. RP Schere (SP?) was the most important as we were allotted 2 cases each a week for practice and 10 each for tourneys..

I liked the electronic guns a lot as even in semi you could get 15-18 rounds per second but IMO the Auto-cocker was still the best. Closed bolt goodness. And once you learned how to run them they are not that finicky.. Still have my STO and 98ci (i think) HP bottle..

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Look for a 07 or 08 Planet Eclipse EGO (ego7 or ego8), IIRC they go for around $300, they are light, very fast, very efficient and possibly the most reliable marker out there. They only run on Compressed air or nitrogen though, CO2 will destroy them.

As for a Mask look at Vforce Profilers or Grillz. I have both and they are very comfortable and neither would fog the lenses, even in the heat of summer. They are a touch pricey but a cheap crappy mask will ruin an otherwise good day

For an air tank again look on PBnation, just about any 68/4500 tank will do ( 68 CI 4500 psi). A fiber tank is your best bet, the hydro test last longer and the tank is lighter than an aluminum or steel tank

the hopper to look for are either the empire prophecy or dye rotor. A Halo hopper is a decent budget alternative too
View Quote

$300? I remember when they went for like a grand
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Shop around for a used tippman a5.

That's what I did a few years ago.   Got one pretty cheap, took it over to a co-worker's house to get fixed up, then played with it a little bit and sold it for about what I paid for it.

Seems like buying brand new paintball guns is in the same category of buying new laptops or new cars.   Depreciation is a mfer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PB stuff holds no resale value, which is great for people who want good stuff but dont have to have the latest and greatest

I havent played in over 2 years and I sold all but a few of my markers and accessories, I will probably start again some day when money isnt so tight
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, after my 2k2 timmy got stolen at the field I collected homeowner's insurance and ran.

Not saying everyone is so, but be prepared for massive D bags in paintball. Unless you have a group of 10+ friends that will go regularly, prepare for a multitude of different people.

If you do still decide to get into it, screw all this new stuff, the older markers are just as good. Early dye matrix, ego, intimidator, etc will be more than enough marker and will be significantly less than any top of the line offering these days. I think most stuff is capped now anyway with PSP and whatnot (I've been out of the game for 8 years or so).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top