Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2002 11:18:45 AM EDT

California Moves Toward Ballistics Fingerprinting
By Chris Rizo
CNSNews.com Correspondent
December 11, 2002

Sacramento (CNSNews.com) - A bill introduced Tuesday in the California Legislature would lay the groundwork for a ballistics fingerprinting system.

Specifically, Senate Bill 35 would require gun makers and sellers to begin storing ballistics data while state legislators consider how to fund a database program that would apply to all guns, including rifles.

Sen. Jack Scott, a Democrat, introduced the measure, which supporters have described as "DNA for guns."

Under the proposal, gun manufacturers would have to test-fire all guns manufactured and/or sold in California, then digitally record the unique impression etched on spent bullets and shell-casings -- the so-called ballistics fingerprint.

In theory, a bullet or shell casing recovered from a crime scene could be checked against the "fingerprints" stored in a state database to find out who owns a particular gun.

"Nobody has anything to fear in this but the criminals," Scott said. "And law enforcement has a lot to gain."

With billion-dollar revenue shortfalls on the Golden State's horizon, it might be years before the state would have the money to set up a ballistics database, Scott acknowledged.

[url=http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=\Politics\archive\200212\POL20021211b.html]To Read More Click Here[/url]

Details of the Legislative Bill can be found [url=http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=sb_35&sess=CUR&house=B&author=scott]here[/url]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]$23,000,000,000[/b] in the hole, and they want to spend more money on ballistic fingerprinting and universal healthcare.

I can't wait to see the US Gov (ME!) bail them out this time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
- Roberti-Roos '89 AW ban
- Roberti-Roos AW ban Amendments
- California allows people to register "assault weapons" late, then the State later says sorry guys we weren't allowed to let you register late and makes gunowners turn-in their firearms.
- "junk gun" law
- L.A. Bans gunshows
- SB23 AW ban '99
- State "buy-back" program for SKS paratrooper carbines.
- CA Supreme Court ruling on AR15 series and AK47 series
- State certified gun safes and trigger locks law
- L.A. Bans .50 cal rifles
- Required Registration of gun owners in 2003

and now "ballistic finger printing?"

when will it ever end?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:42:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
- Roberti-Roos '89 AW ban
- Roberti-Roos AW ban Amendments
- California allows people to register "assault weapons" late, then the State later says sorry guys we weren't allowed to let you register late and makes gunowners turn-in their firearms.
- "junk gun" law
- L.A. Bans gunshows
- SB23 AW ban '99
- State "buy-back" program for SKS paratrooper carbines.
- State certified gun safes and trigger locks law
- L.A. Bans .50 cal rifles
- Required Registration of gun owners in 2003

and now "ballistic finger printing?"

when will it ever end?
View Quote

It will never end.  
They will ban, re-ban, triple ban, and eventually Uber ban all firearms.

But crime will remain.  So they will pass laws restricting other rights like travel.  God knows people travel before they commit crime.  et cetera

::adjusts tinfoil::
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#4]
San Mateo County has recently banned gun shows on state property.

Attacking the gun industry is 'hip' these days.  You know about us Kalibans and how we want to be 'hip', and 'cutting edge', and not 'old school'.

[;D]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
San Mateo County has recently banned gun shows on state property.

Attacking the gun industry is 'hip' these days.  You know about us Kalibans and how we want to be 'hip', and 'cutting edge', and not 'old school'.

[;D]
View Quote

I think I read an artical today on KABA.com about how that county dropped that issue.  Let me see if I can come up with a link
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup, my town is running a huge budget deficit this year, but it did not stop them from installing surveillance cameras downtown.  WTF?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I hope it doesn't get worse
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a suggestion for you kalifornia people: 7 letter word, starts with "m" ends in "a". Do this and you might have a chance, do nothing and you forfeit all freedom.

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a suggestion for you kalifornia people: 7 letter word, starts with "m" ends in "a". Do this and you might have a chance, do nothing and you forfeit all freedom.

View Quote

Montana?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
well, at least we already have proof that in maryland, the shits useless.

what was the other state..jersey?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I think he means militia.

fight4yourrights, speaking about bailouts, was it not the PA steel industry who was behind the steel import tariffs, and then went on to ask the feds to pick up the tab for retiree health care, which was in the $$$ billions?

If you want to talk bailouts, you might want to first address the rust belt.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
well, at least we already have proof that in maryland, the shits useless.

what was the other state..jersey?
View Quote

New York.  I've never seen evidence that either state has solved a single crime with their brass collections.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Holly Shit!...I agree with you!  (I will wash out my mouth with soap for saying that)

You subjects in Kalifornia have no other choice!, It saddens me to say it, I was born in Kalifornia, My family is in Kalifornia..When the Fu*k are you people going to do something?..anything?...I have never seen a bigger bunch of people just sit and do nothing!, My Grand dad, My Dad, My Brothers..just let the guns sit and roll over everytime...I want to puke!...DAMN IT..IF ALL YOU DO IS START SHOWING UP IN NUMBERS TO CITY MEETINGS THAT IS A START! Julia Robberts can make a movie about the PGE crap, but the subjects of Kali-Hell are to f-ing lazy to do anything bu get the boat ready to goto the river!....
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
actually i think its up to 30 BILLION DEFICIT

the "education governor" davis just SLASHED THE EDUCATION BUDGET IN KALIF

for CS university -- big cuts coming next year, ith higher fees, year after that "SEVERE CUTS"

FUN FUN FUN
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:53:10 AM EDT
[#16]
This despite the study done by their own DA showing that this won't do any good. No my friends, this won't work to solve any crime.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
actually i think its up to 30 BILLION DEFICIT

the "education governor" davis just SLASHED THE EDUCATION BUDGET IN KALIF

for CS university -- big cuts coming next year, ith higher fees, year after that "SEVERE CUTS"

FUN FUN FUN
View Quote

Exactly - read the fine print in the bill then send bitch letters to all your reps -  no new programs...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top