Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2002 10:05:44 AM EDT
Just picked up a 2001 Ford F250 v8 turbo diesel crew cab 4wd, and would like to get some further information on just how the engine is set up, pointers on this beast, etc.  Already know that it don't like to be cold-started, but starts up & purrrrs if pluged in for a while.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You lucky SOB, my only advice is make sure you always let the glow plugs warm up.  A guy I knew would always just start his and they finally went out and cost him a bundle to fix.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply, velocity.  If you want to know the truth (let me rub it in), the truck was a birthday present from my wife.

Yeah, I knew about the glow plugs - a buddy of mine in college had a diesel VW.  The truck says "Wait To Start" while the plugs warm up.  Here in Michigan I definately have to have it pluged in during the winter.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah, another thing that's happened a few times in my experiance with these trucks, you should also check the connection of the, umm, big hose thingy(air intake?) to the turbo because it always came loose and popped off while driving, a real pain in the ass at first then we just clamped that thing on there real tight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#4]
How did you know it popped off?  Change in performance, or could you hear something?  The engine has a whisp (for lack of a better word) to it, like a compressor, when driving slowly.  It disapears when you speed up, and doesn't seem to be present when the engine warms up.  The manual said it would be noisy, specifically when cold, so I havn't really worried about it.  Only 28k on the engine thus far.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Believe it or not they make a chip to up the output.

Glow plugs light should go out before starting. It is temp controlled

The pump handle on Reg. gas will fit in your tank. My buddy had a f250 for 2 weeks and put 10 gallons of reg fuel in it. If it happens eat the tow bill and fix it. Don't start in.

It will run on ATF fluid in a emergency. I dont know how far but it runs and not that bad

Dont wait until your empty to fill up. Exxon sells diesel most of the time.

Oh diesel stink dont get it on your clothes
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#6]
You could hear it pop off, it was pretty loud, kinda like a ballon popping.  The chip is a great idea, adds something like 100hp, my mom and her husband put one in theirs.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I talked to 2 mechanics about the chip, and they both thought that it was not worth the money (close to $500 for the Diablo, I believe).  The reasoning was that the truck is geared up by Ford to run at a certain level, and the chip basically just made the fuel mixture richer.  Thus, better output, but more wear & tear on the engine in the long run.

u-baddog: I've had nightmares about filling my new toy up with gasoline.  I'm gonna put a label on the gascap (dieselcap?) that says "DIESEL!".  I actually know a guy who filled up his car with diesel and drove about 15 yards before it seized up.  No, I have no idea how in the hell he managed to mistake the diesel pump for gas.

Never heard about running on ATF fluid, but I have heard that you can make biodiesel out of McDonald's leftover frying oil.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Any issues with running kerosene through the engine?  How long can I keep the kerosene on hand>  (I know there are some issues with diesel separating.)

The truck came with an engine heater - I believe it heats the oil.  And you are right, it makes a HUGE difference.  We have already had several single-digit nights here in Michigan, and the truck will start right up if plugged in for a few hours.  I started it w/o being plugged in on one occasion when the temp had been around 30 degrees, and it stalled twice before finally getting going.

Great info from everyone - thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:41:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Feedingcannibal:

I have no idea how in the hell he managed to mistake the diesel pump for gas.

His GF called just as he was getting out of the truck na dhe was talking on the cell phone. That is the story he gave me.

Feedingcannibal

Never heard about running on ATF fluid

I have worked on VW's for years and after a rebuild or pump work thats how we would get them running untill we could prime the system.
If they ran out of fuel on the lot we would remove the inlet line for the timing pump and just stick it in a quart of ATF and drive it the 1/4 mile to the gas station.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Whew, I thought you meant VIN Diesel. There was a thread about him yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Good point!  Title bar edited for clarification!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/images/photos/vin.jpg[/img]

He seems to like me...
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Who's got the gun?  That pic is mighty gay, no matter how you look at it.

[:P]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Who's got the gun?  That pic is mighty gay, no matter how you look at it.

[:P]
View Quote

No, that one isn't but I am fairly certain THIS one qualifies...

[img]http://www.tvcc.edu/faculty/ballen/images/photos/vinkeith.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/11/2002 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't forget to winterize the fuel... then again, most places that sell diesel should have done that by now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#17]
#1 diesel is kerosene, so dont sweat using it.  Warm it up a little before starting off and give it about 30 to 90 seconds of idle before shutting it off, to cool the turbo.  Frequent oil changes are the life of a diesel, and if you maintain it like the book says, its good for 300K plus.  I also suggest adding some fuel pump or injection pump lube, the modern diesel fuel has little lubricity. If you cant find fuel additive, Marvel Mystery Oil has been around since forever and works well.  CHANGE THE FUEL FILTER!!  oh yeah, dont forget to change the fuel filter...   Ops
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Go to thedieselstop.com.  This is a Powerstroke only forum with tons of info.

Jason
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:05:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a RAM with an intercooled Turbo Cummins. There are NO glow plugs- old tech. There is an Intake heater grid, hence the wait to start light- as the grid heats the intake air up..mostly to prevent 'smoking' on start-up.  Of course it has a Block heater, and fuel heater, and water in fuel indicator to head off issues particular to diesel fuel. Not to mention dual 750 amp/hr batteries... First Engine service is at 150,000, for a valve adjustment. Next is at 400,000k. Oil changes are at 5k (it holds 2 1/2 GALLONS plus Filter), and the damn thing gets 18 mpg hauling a 6000 pound truck around!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out www.bankspower.com best diesel power aftermarket company out there.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Olug it in religously.  Extends life as well as aiding starting.

Use recomended oil and change as per the manual.  Use suggested filters rather than some aftermarket JUNK.

Try to buy fuel from the same station as often as possible.  Avoid any that are not frequented by truckers.  They know who sells crap.  Nearly all fuel is winterized these days.  You can mix 10% gas or kerosene if it isn't but should not do so with winterized fuel.

One min idle at start and prior to shutdown will keep you on good terms with the turbo.  DO NOT romp on it until it warms a bit, like any other engine.

Fuel filters will anounce it when needing changed - you will be short on power, thats all.

NEVER EVER run out of fuel!!  Bleeding the things is a real pain; DO NOT RUN OUT OF FUEL!

Doesn't bother the glow plugs one bit no matter HOW you start it.  Better for everything else to allow full heat cycle, however.  In bitter cold weather, allow to do 2 or 3 cycles before cranking.

Relace anti-freeze annualy and use Prestone, not 5 year crap.

Don't be sucked in by "fuel additives".  Most trucking companies will not pay for their drivers to use them.  Wonder why?

The chip issue with Fords is more related to the transmission.  It does not have adequate torque capacity and Ford covers that up by limiting engine output.  Leave it alone.

Check air filter often.  These move a LOT of air and filter life suffers.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a diesel.  I try to run it on as much biodiesel I can afford.  Help the American farmers and screw the oil companies and screw the a-rabs!

p.s.  Biodiesel greatly increases the lubricity of the fuel.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:38:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Is bio-diesel an economic lie like gasohol?

Gasohol consumes more oil in it's production than if 100% gasoline were made instead.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:02:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

In bitter cold weather, allow to do 2 or 3 cycles before cranking.
View Quote

I'm not quite sure what you mean here - right now I plug it in, then wait for the "Wait To Start" light to disapear, then start her, with no problems thus far.

The chip issue with Fords is more related to the transmission.  It does not have adequate torque capacity and Ford covers that up by limiting engine output.  Leave it alone.
View Quote

Yeah, this has been the general consensus by all the knowledgable folks I've talked to - if you want it to last, don't mess with it.

Anyone know how I can track down biodiesel in Michigan?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:09:30 AM EDT
[#25]
When the "Wait to Start" light goes out, after a time it will come back on.  You can hear the relay "clunk" each cycle.  If it starts OK when cold, ignore the comment!

If it gets hard to start when cold, verify that heaters work properly.  Not hard to do.  Unlikely you will have any difficulty on such a new truck though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#26]
BTW, [url]thedieselstop.com[/url] is the [b]BOMB![/b]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#27]
MickeyMouse, thanks again.  I had no idea that the Wait light would come back on.  Perhaps this would be good to do if I was not able to have her plugged in before starting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#28]
you can also cycle the glow plugs by turning the key on & off....unless the relay stays open too long......make sure to keep iso (dry gas) handy...also...extra fuel filters....if the fuel happens to wax up in extreme cold...you`ll need to change out the filters if you want to get it running......drain the separater often too....[:)]....if your heaters don`t fail...the fuel will probably not gel....but one never knows....better to be ready...than stuck
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just picked up a 2001 Ford F250 v8 turbo diesel crew cab 4wd, and would like to get some further information on just how the engine is set up, pointers on this beast, etc.  Already know that it don't like to be cold-started, but starts up & purrrrs if pluged in for a while.

Thanks!
View Quote

Cool Truck!  Did you get a short bed or long bed?  I've got the same truck in a short bed.  It's a beast.  

The whine you describe is probably the turbo.  You can hear the high pitch over the engine in accleration but it fades once you reach cruising speed.

Lot's of Ford Specific info at:
[url]www.fordtrucks.com[/url]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Short bed.  I found out that the hissing has to do with the engine redirecting the exhaust to heat the engine when cold.  Love that thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Cannibal,

I have a diesel in MI also.  Really likes to be plugged in below freezing temps.

I use an additive, mostly because I had heard there were problems with the pump on GM 6.5 liters.  I use Stanadyne products, its supposed to help the pump live longer...

Love the sound and smell of diesel !
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I have been told about the addatives, but my manual states that if I'm buying winterized diesel from a source that goes through alot of it (i.e., truckstops), addatives should not be necessary.  I live near several truck stops (don't we all in Michigan??), so I havn't gone with an addative thus far.

Definatly right about plugging it in - she's much more easy to get along with after a couple of hours on the juice!  (That's my truck I'm referring to, not the wife - well, come to think of it, the wife is easier to get along with...)
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Short bed.  I found out that the hissing has to do with the engine redirecting the exhaust to heat the engine when cold.  Love that thing.
View Quote

Hmmm... Never hear that but then again I ain't in Michigan and don't have the kinda cold you're talking about!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top