Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2002 7:07:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#1]
you would be amazed at the number of people who will choke up the $440 because it's the breaks.
you got to have breaks.  the sad thing is any idiot can do a break job.  

i just called autozone in Houston.
rotors are $42.99
pads are $19.99

makes you want to kill someone doesn't it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
you would be amazed at the number of people who will choke up the $440 because it's the breaks.
you got to have breaks.  the sad thing is any idiot can do a break job.  
View Quote

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=158489[/url]

BTW, the guys on Car Talk always groan when people bring their cars into the dealer for repairs.  Years of that show have taught me

1.  Dealerships overcharge

2.  They usually fail to fix the problem
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I ditched my VW because of poor service. My brakes cost big $$ 'cause the rotors needed replaced, "they are too thin according to PA specs". This was the first time I had pads replaced on the car and they said they could not turn rotors.

After the car let me sit 13 times I finally figured out the problem. The ignition coil had three pin-holes in it. Funny thing is that I would take it to one dealership and it would eventually start because the coil would dry off and it would shut down again when I was passing another VW dealership in the next county.

I like a lot of different cars. I hate dealerships. When I buy I car now, I also buy the shop manual.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I took my 2001 Jetta GLX into the dealer yesterday to have the rear brakes looked at. They JUST started to make a slight grinding noise if you really jumped on the pedal. I took it real easy driving there 'cause rotors are expensive.

They call me today and tell me $440 including tax. HA! Quote, "the rotors aren't scored, but you're 'into' them. They need to be replaced." Yeah, I'm sure. $440 for just the rear? Whatever. I'm gonna have 'em put it back together and replace the pads myself. No way the rotors are bad. It's a lease anyway. I'll only have the car for another 7 or 8 months.

Hello...Autozone?
View Quote

I would have asked what the spec was and what my rotors measured.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The rear brakes are one of the weak links on the A4 body style.  I see then needed to be replaced at 20-40k miles all the time.  Dealer list on the pads are 71.75 and the roters are 65 each.  They use a ceramic rotor that cannot be turned.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
you got to have breaks.  the sad thing is [red]any idiot[/red] can do a break job.  

i just called autozone in Houston.
rotors are $42.99
pads are $19.99

makes you want to kill someone doesn't it?
View Quote

The same kind of idiot that can't spell brakes?
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]
This episode really frosted my balls.

My wife was out shopping and thought she heard a squealing noise coming from the brakes on our 97 Lumina, so she drove to some garage to get it looked at. It was dust, no biggie.

But wait, "Hey lady, your serpentine belt needs to be replaced right away. Better not drive off with it the way it is. See those cracks? Bad news there, ma'am. We can do it for $110"

Fortunately, she had the forsight to call me and ask what to do. I told her to have them close the hood "NOW!" and leave pronto. Then I told her to go by Autozone on the way home and get a new belt. $12 I think it came to.
When she arrived home, I asked her to clock me while I replaced the belt. 90 seconds. And  that was with trouble getting the rachet in the 3/8" square hole on the tentioner pulley.

I hate assholes like that. If my math is right, they are getting about $4000 an hour to change belts.

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#12]
the Difference could be the same as a Hesse vs a Colt.

The pads you have have a very high metal content the one you priced most likely do not.
Thats ok if you are going to put on new pads on worn rotors the pads are going to need to be soft to seat faster in to the grooved rotors.

You do know worn rotors and new pads may more problems for you than the noise ?

You say its a lease so I wouldn't worry about it if the pads have at least .25" and the rotors are still serviceable,noise what noise

Look at the pads, rear pads don't need a lot of meat on them .25" should last 6 months.

The noise could be from the pads getting a glaze on them not uncommon with vw . Did you notice the noise after some hard driving or after driving in a sudden rain? Sometimes you can break the glaze by braking kinda hard from 40/35 mph a few time. In the case of the rear it might be better to use the hand brake.

[qoute]
raven

BTW, the guys on Car Talk always groan when people bring their cars into the dealer for repairs. Years of that show have taught me[/qoute]

Those guys have mislead so many people over the years and IMHO are assholes and I will turn the station if they come on.

They are no better than the dealer !!!!!! Unless you know the people who work and own the shop you bring your car to you have a 50/50 chance of getting stolen from. Be it due to not getting what you paid for or getting a bad job done, overcharged. This is anywhere.

Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top