Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/30/2014 5:00:12 AM EDT
Saw this posted on a liberal friends FB page.

Link
"
Yes, people kill people. But guns make a huge difference in how many people get killed.

Like any dangerous product — cars, airplanes, explosives — sensible regulation of guns clearly plays a positive role in reducing both misuse of this product and the number of deaths resulting from such misuse.

The map itself was part of a scholarly study by researchers from Boston Children's Hospital and published this March in JAMA Internal Medicine.
"

They never give up do they?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Voting has resulted in more pain and suffering than guns ever have or will.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Master of Science in Peace Studies.

I suppose that looks better on a resume than "Cock Sauce Aficionado"

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#3]
the dATA IS STRAIT UP WRONG 12000 GUN DEATHS IN CALI OVER 3 YEARS AND THAT'S A LOW[ PERCENTAGE?] then SD with 200 out of 600,000 is high evidently they can't do 5th grade math.also let ignore Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]

The way people talk and think lately is causing much pain and suffering.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:12:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been debunking most of the data this morning. I am slowly ripping his link apart with real data.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#6]
"more dead mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and others."

But no mention of all those babies who didn't do nuffing

Oh but you did include suicide by gun while not looking at the total amount of suicide, seems fair and above board to me
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#7]
So how does Utah, ranked last in gun laws, end up with a homicide rate nearly as low as Britain?  Eh, gun ban nuts?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been debunking most of the data this morning. I am slowly ripping his link apart with real data.
View Quote

Well make sure you share it with us.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Just ignore the fact that parts of Chicago, NYC, Omaha, St. Louis, Houston, NOLA, LA, and Oakland have Caribbean levels of crime, all independently of state laws, which range in those areas from proscriptive to permissive...ummm...seems like the laws themselves have little impact.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:16:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Link
"
Yes, people kill people. But guns make a huge difference in how many people get killed.

Like any dangerous product — cars, airplanes, explosives — sensible regulation of guns clearly plays a positive role in reducing both misuse of this product and the number of deaths resulting from such misuse.

The map itself was part of a scholarly study by researchers from Boston Children's Hospital and published this March in JAMA Internal Medicine.
"

View Quote

Figures lie and liars figure.   Even the Devil can quote scripture.  Etc., etc.

Agenda, they haz it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Please make that link cold.  Article is nothing more than click bait from a gay hardcore democrat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]
normalize for suicide and race.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Per capita measure, often a good way to get apples to apples comparisons, also can be abused to really skew things. For example, if State A has 10 million residents and 10,000 gun related deaths annually, but 90% of them are concentrated in one city/locality with a population of 500,000 people, then that states per capita gun death rate is greatly skewed by the states overall large population compared to the concentrated [city] population where the bulk of those gun death transpire. In effect the per capita measure is diluted. Conversely, comparing state A to state B which only has 500,000 residents, and experiences 1,000 gun related deaths annually, but they are fairly evenly spread amongst four to five cities/localities, would not have as great of a dilution effect as state A. That is why that map is totally bogus, because it tries to compare gun deaths throughout the entire state of Alaska with that of Illinois, when in fact most gun deaths in Illinois occur in the city of Chicago which itself is more populous than the entire state of Alaska. So the honest measure would be to compare the per capita gun death rate of the state of Alaska with the city of Chicago, and then I think we would see that Chicago with its heavy handed 2A restrictions has a much higher per capita gun death rate than the entire state of Alaska.

Also, it doesn't take a genius to figure out states with highly restrictive 2A infringements (California, New York, Illinois, etc.) still have the highest rates of gun crime/deaths if measured by the city where 90% of those crimes occur. This is proof positive that restrictive gun laws in fact don't work.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:18:19 AM EDT
[#14]
You need new friends.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Direct causation could not be determined, but at the very least, such a strong correlation should make it clear that existing public policy in many states with lax gun laws comes at a high price: more dead mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and others.
View Quote

sooooo.... no our data doesnt make scientific sense... but here is an emotional response over some color coding
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:19:40 AM EDT
[#16]
It's rough on the aspiring rapper demographic too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#17]
That map is horse shit.  

IL?
CA?
NY?

WTFO
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#18]
And guess who is committing the bulk of the violent crime in this country......

Link - Americas most violent cities by ranking
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That uhh would be like racist or something.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:26:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Everything about that link gave me AIDS.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
the dATA IS STRAIT UP WRONG 12000 GUN DEATHS IN CALI OVER 3 YEARS AND THAT'S A LOW[ PERCENTAGE?] then SD with 200 out of 600,000 is high evidently they can't do 5th grade math.also let ignore Illinois.
View Quote

IL is a safe an peaceful place, especially Chicago. You have to watch out for those evil southern states with their bazookas and all
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:32:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A short reply I did:

This article is so vague and misleading. There is no correlation between gun laws and gun mortality rates, which can be seen by reading the confusing data. Did you know that over 1/2 of all gun related deaths are suicides? The other 1/2, 70% of those deaths are gang related. As to the very misleading map, correlating the United States gun laws (lax as it says) vs other countries...the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime submitted a report from 1998-2000 and it showed that on the top 10 countries with the highest violence rate (because of lax gun control) the US did not even make the list.

If he asks for sources, I will give him links.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Lies, damn lies, and statistics
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:34:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Generalized statistics are dangerous to draw conclusions from.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone who thinks maobama's gun banners are sitting in the corner crying their eyes out needs to wake up.
Media is still running every piece of slanted crap to push the agenda that they can and aren't about to give up.
Good on you open, ignore the name calling that will follow your posts and keep hammering them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes,
yes it would.
of course, so would chief moose looking for white people in a white van with a white gun and a white hot hate in exclusion of any other possibility.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#27]
And he got his degree from the George Mason University School of Public Policy. So who better to debunk him than George Mason himself

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people.  To disarm the
people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#28]
It is talking about gun deaths, not the crime rate.
Nice try.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't know about the other States, but most of the persons involved in Alabama are Obama supporters.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:47:30 AM EDT
[#30]
120 people, out of a population of 731,000, died related to firearms in Alaska. That is a per capita death rate of 16 per 100,000. Conversely Chicago has a population of 2.715 million and saw 506 people killed by guns in 2012. That is a per capita death rate of 19 per 100,000. Obviously, Chicago's heavy 2A infringements are not resulting in lower gun death rates compared to Alaska's less restrictive 2A laws. Conclusion, stricter 2A infringements result in a higher per capita gun death rate. Statistics, see how that shit works?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

IIRC, that government gun study over the summer said that if you toss out NYC, Chicago, Baltimore and DC (I think it was those four) then the US has a murder rate comparable to Western European countries.

Basically, some really shitty Democrat run cities fuck up the stats for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:47:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Voting has resulted in more pain and suffering than guns ever have or will.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:49:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

IIRC, that government gun study over the summer said that if you toss out NYC, Chicago, Baltimore and DC (I think it was those four) then the US has a murder rate comparable to Western European countries.

Basically, some really shitty Democrat run cities fuck up the stats for the rest of us.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, the same can be said about our public school performance and standardized test scores.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:54:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

and

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Direct causation could not be determined, but at the very least, such a
strong correlation should make it clear that existing public policy in
many states with lax gun laws comes at a high price: more dead mothers,
fathers, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters and others.
View Quote

translation: "these numbers don't show causation, but guns cause people to die"

fucktards

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

and

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and

I wish he would actually reply to me. I am getting impatient!
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 5:59:31 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and

don't waste your time.  You're about as likely to convince that fucktard that guns are good as he is to convince you that guns are evil.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:03:06 AM EDT
[#39]
ARFCOM needs to pull together and build a city-sized ship and name it AMERICA 2..  Then get the fuck out of this nuthouse before it's too late.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

yes,
yes it would.
of course, so would chief moose looking for white people in a white van with a white gun and a white hot hate in exclusion of any other possibility.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes,
yes it would.

Isn't he working for Paul Blart now?
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:07:00 AM EDT
[#41]
They are not against guns for the safety factor, the left hates guns because they allow the feeble public to resist!
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Link
"

"

View Quote

At least they were honest about one point.

Direct causation could not be determined
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:15:43 AM EDT
[#43]
This map proves one thing, liberals can't do math
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:26:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

This map proves one thing, liberals can't do math
View Quote
Or stats.  Or proper cause and effect.

Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2013 CDC study of gun control laws showed interesting results. This LINK is one of many with similar information.

"As Graham Noble of Guardian Express noted, “If one were to exclude figures for Illinois, California, New Jersey and Washington, DC, the homicide rate in the United States would be in line with any other country.” These areas, of course, are noted for the most restrictive gun laws in the country, thus negating any opportunity for the president to celebrate the report’s findings."

"Furthermore, the key finding the president was no doubt seeking — that more laws would result in less crime — was missing. The study said that “interventions,” such as background checks and restrictions on firearms and increased penalties for illegal gun use, showed “mixed” results, while “turn-in” programs “are ineffective” in reducing crime. The study noted that most criminals obtained their guns in the underground economy — from friends, family members, or gang members — well outside any influence from gun controls on legitimate gun owners."
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

ARFCOM needs to pull together and build a city-sized ship and name it AMERICA 2.. Then get the fuck out of this nuthouse before it's too late.
View Quote

That cruise would be worse than a disabled Carnival ship with infected Royal Caribbean passengers.    
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Guess we can just leave out factors like violent crime per 100k, trends on overall crime against persons since concealed carry started to spread, etc etc.  In his own article he states"Direct causation could not be determined," wow that's called shooting yourself in the foot
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:35:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#49]
They look like more "where to move for freedom" maps to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Per capita measure, often a good way to get apples to apples comparisons, also can be abused to really skew things. For example, if State A has 10 million residents and 10,000 gun related deaths annually, but 90% of them are concentrated in one city/locality with a population of 500,000 people, then that states per capita gun death rate is greatly skewed by the states overall large population compared to the concentrated [city] population where the bulk of those gun death transpire. In effect the per capita measure is diluted. Conversely, comparing state A to state B which only has 500,000 residents, and experiences 1,000 gun related deaths annually, but they are fairly evenly spread amongst four to five cities/localities, would not have as great of a dilution effect as state A. That is why that map is totally bogus, because it tries to compare gun deaths throughout the entire state of Alaska with that of Illinois, when in fact most gun deaths in Illinois occur in the city of Chicago which itself is more populous than the entire state of Alaska. So the honest measure would be to compare the per capita gun death rate of the state of Alaska with the city of Chicago, and then I think we would see that Chicago with its heavy handed 2A restrictions has a much higher per capita gun death rate than the entire state of Alaska.

Also, it doesn't take a genius to figure out states with highly restrictive 2A infringements (California, New York, Illinois, etc.) still have the highest rates of gun crime/deaths if measured by the city where 90% of those crimes occur. This is proof positive that restrictive gun laws in fact don't work.
View Quote

I'd like to see the map and "analysis" used at the link broken down by county rather than state.  I think that would be very telling.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top