Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/9/2002 3:29:05 PM EDT

I was about to purchase a handgun for self defense and I am a new forum member.  I posted an introduction thread where some of these great guys gave me some good advice on which guns to try.  I have not been able to find any pistol ranges that have these specific guns I wanted to try. I was wondering if any of ya'll could let me should your handguns if you live nearby and you have one of these guns.  I would greatly appreciate it.

THE LIST:
HK USP compact 9mm
Springfield XD-9
Browning highpower
Walther P99/ SW 99
Beretta Vertec
CZ 75 or 85
I have considered a 1911 also but I'm worried about it kicking too much....but its a possibility.
THANKS GUYS!!!   --Kara--
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#1]
OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome.

Do yourself a favor, and get a G-Lock. You'll be glad you did.

Buy Glock, buy once.
Buy anything else, buy twice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
That would be great except for the fact that when I rented a Glock all the brass hit me in the forehead....not fun.....I'm a lefty.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Imbro has a .38 snubby but he doesn't have any ammunition.  Sorta like his lovelife of late.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Welcome.

Do yourself a favor, and get a G-Lock. You'll be glad you did.

Buy Glock, buy once.
Buy anything else, buy twice.
View Quote

[size=3]Glock - Because we ran out of steel.[/size=3](tm)

Just messin' with you Glocksters. [:D]

Sounds like you're on the right track, Kara.
Try out as many as you can, and you'll know which one will work best for you.
Don't be intimidated by the recoil of .45 from a 1911.  To me, it's more of a push than a snap.

Have fun in your search and welcome to the madhouse!!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL.....I sorta wanted to try something  called a "squeeze cocker".   An HK P7.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I am running a test in April to find my sidearm, check out my thread.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=156441&w=searchPop[/url]

hope this helps
edited to make the link hot
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Tinfoil hat on and adjusted...

This is a deep undercover confiscation ploy...  Watch out.. :)
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
i live here in houston. i think we could arrange somthing.  IM me and we can talk.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
...But it was really a trap that the evil AntiUSSR clevery disguised as a new [i]female[/i] shooter in need of assistance.
It lured Citabria7GCBC in... and he was never heard from again...
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Pick a range (ASC) and a day (weekend) and see who and what shows up.
SSD
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...But it was really a trap that the evil AntiUSSR clevery disguised as a new [i]female[/i] shooter in need of assistance.
It lured Citabria7GCBC in... and he was never heard from again...
View Quote

as i do think it is a lure, i do not think i wont be herd from again. BUAHAHAHAHAH
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#14]
What model Glock was it that was throwing the brass back at you? I'm left handed and have fired thousands of rounds out of my Glocks and have never had that happen. Glocks are actully fairly left hander friendly with the lack of an external saftey.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hello xxKAREBEARxx I am one of the staff here, (the only female staff) I have had my CCL for 5 years now and have had three different handguns to carry.

Like men, guns come in all different sizes. [I had to do that. sorry] I went from a Sig 232 .380 (I did not like it at all) to a glock 26 9 mm with corbon ammo(you can abuse it and it will still fire). And now I carry the Kimber ultra CDP 45 with corbon ammo.(It has been great to have but hard to conceal)
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok guys...this is fun and all.  If there really is a cute girl in the same town as me then I'll let you shoot whatever you want.  This sounds a little bit fishy too me.  Anybody else think that?  
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#18]
P.S. If you are truly a cute, single girl in Houston then you should come shooting with me because I'm a cop and you can trust me.  

All these other guys on here are just crazy, gun toting, militia members.  [:D]

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That would be great except for the fact that when I rented a Glock all the brass hit me in the forehead....not fun.....I'm a lefty.
View Quote

Ahh a Lefty, A girl after my own heart...
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
P.S. If you are truly a cute, single girl in Houston then you should come shooting with me because I'm a cop and you can trust me.  

View Quote

Yeah, just don't to go Sonic or K-Mart with him after dark. [;)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Springfield XD-9

View Quote

Concur

Aviator
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LOL.....I sorta wanted to try something  called a "squeeze cocker".   An HK P7.
View Quote

That is a GREAT gun!  Accurate, small and concealable, and the squeeze cocking feature makes it one of the safest guns in the world.  You can carry it around cocked with a round in the chamber and never worry about it accidently firing.  Until you squeeze the grip, it just wont fire.

They're expensive ($800-$1000) and their small frame gives them more felt recoil than bigger 9mm's like the CZ-75 and HiPower, but it's not painful or anything.  It's the ideal conceal carry 9mm, I think.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
If you limp wrist a Glock it will either stovepipe or bounce the brass at you. Hold your wrist tighter and buy a Glock.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Kara, do you plan on carrying this handgun concealed?  If so, that limits the choices somewhat.

Having owned or shot all of these pistols, as well as the P7, I can say in my experience (and that of my wife) that the best value out there is the CZ-75.  Wonderfully ergonomic, extremely accurate, very reliable, and it is a natural "point" shooter.  Plus it is around $350 or less and hi-cap 9mm mags are very affordable.  Recoil is nice and light as well.  Plus for $200 you can get a .22LR conversion slide and 2 mags - this way you can practice with the exact same weight and size handgun but do it much cheaper.

If you ever get to East TN, let me know - the wife and I'll take you out shooting.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I've carried revolvers of several types, and autos. I was turned off by Glocks because I wasn't interested in a sissy plastic gun. After carrying a Colt Compact for about five years...... I never leave home without my lil' Glock 26.
Caught me by surprise. Bought one for the wife and after shooting hers, I ran right back out and bought myself one. The Glock is the only gun I can carry ANY time of the year with ANY type of clothing (FIST INC IWB holster). I was concerned with the terminal ballistics of the 9mm with all the clothing worn here in the winters.... but then it dawned on me that I don't practice body shots anyway..... ;-)
I vote for the durability and simplicity of the Glock.
Good Luck in finding the right carry piece.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok first off....just to put all your fears to rest...I am very real.....and this is not a troll account.  I dated a guy for three years who owned lots of guns....I had never shot before.  He finally got me to go shooting with him and although I was nervous at first I began to actually like it.  I'm pretty much a girly girl and can be a bit...well...how should I say this...."prissy" at times..lol.  I got to shoot skeet and absolutely had a blast....I think thats my real passion when it comes to guns.  I dont think I'll ever really get into the technical side of guns however...probably just enough to get by and not sound like an idiot...its the ACTION that really excites me. HEHE.  I've listened to my ex talk about some funny things he's read on here and the other day he suggested I join and post and see what people said about the decisions i've made about handguns.  I live in an apartment by myself now in the city and am worried about being without a gun...especially since my car was broken into at a gas station by some mexican gang bangers only 10 feet from me as I exited the station. Ever since that incident I've realized how easy it is for someone to violate your home or property or ME for that matter....without me being able to do much about it without any protection.  Anyway...there it is in a nutshell I suppose.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kara, do you plan on carrying this handgun concealed?  If so, that limits the choices somewhat.

Having owned or shot all of these pistols, as well as the P7, I can say in my experience (and that of my wife) that the best value out there is the CZ-75.  Wonderfully ergonomic, extremely accurate, very reliable, and it is a natural "point" shooter.  Plus it is around $350 or less and hi-cap 9mm mags are very affordable.  Recoil is nice and light as well.  Plus for $200 you can get a .22LR conversion slide and 2 mags - this way you can practice with the exact same weight and size handgun but do it much cheaper.

If you ever get to East TN, let me know - the wife and I'll take you out shooting.
View Quote

I am not yet ready to get a concealed carry permit.....I'm kinda going through a legal thing right now...(I know that sounds bad but its not as bad as it sounds...lol)  So I kinda can only get something for home protection. It will stay in the drawer of my night stand.  I also want to be able to attatch a light to it as well.  Thats another biggie that limits me somewhat.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:56:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What model Glock was it that was throwing the brass back at you? I'm left handed and have fired thousands of rounds out of my Glocks and have never had that happen. Glocks are actully fairly left hander friendly with the lack of an external saftey.
View Quote

It was a Glock 19....none of us really knew why it was hitting me directly in the forehead either....kinda odd.  My grip and stance were pretty good that day. Other then that I liked the way it felt in my hand.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Karebear, have you considered a revolver? I know to some it would be blasphemy but revolver don't jam, have no drill of arms to perform, just point, pull trigger and away goes the bullet. Auto pistols are far more complex and involve much more work to operate properly much less master.
IMHO a .38special revolver or a .357mag is the best beginner handgun, easy to use, almost foolproof, never jams, takes any load and still functions, limp wrist or iron claw and it still works the same.
Just a thought, have fun choosing a weapon and enjoy it when you do. :)
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Now that is quality humor.[:D]

Just find a gun that fits your hand and that you like and get some training.  Then practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#33]
just so you know kara, i dont think your a troll.  i think it is very cool how much you like guns, and i welcome you to come out and shoot my firearms anytime.

Edited to say: and because i know all the guys on here are total rejects, i would like it to be known, that this is not a pickup line or a ual reference in anyway.  but it is a true invit to go shoot up targets.  

That is all.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
LOL.....I sorta wanted to try something  called a "squeeze cocker".
View Quote

I got just the "gun" for you sweetheart, and you're welcum to come over and shoot it any time you like[;)]

Sgtar15

PS  You [i]are[/i] 18y.o. right???
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

LOL...while that part of westheimer is very close to my patrol district I work for the county and I was in NYC that weekend!  
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

LOL...while that part of westheimer is very close to my patrol district I work for the county and I was in NYC that weekend!  
View Quote

You don't need an alibi with me....just giving you a little shit while I sit around and laugh at all these guys tripping over their tongues.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of help Kara. I'd bet that some of these guys would cross the country just to get a chance to take you to the range. I'm not in Houston, but if you want to drive up to Dallas I'd go with ya. [:)]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Check out S&W 642 Airweight for a revolver or pretty much anything Kahr in an auto.
Id also recommend getting stainless since the maintenance is much less...ie you can touch it without worrying about rust.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Kare, I'm in Houston and I shoot pretty regularly.  I have an HK USPc 9mm that is my primary sidearm.  If you wanted to meet at a range some time you're welcome to give it a whirl and see if you like it.

Shoot me a message if you're interested.

CMOS
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
just so you know kara, i dont think your a troll.  i think it is very cool how much you like guns, and i welcome you to come out and shoot my firearms anytime.

Edited to say: and because i know all the guys on here are total rejects, i would like it to be known, that this is not a pickup line or a ual reference in anyway.  but it is a true invit to go shoot up targets.  

That is all.
View Quote
Watch it wingnut!  Some of my best friends are total rejects [BD]
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#41]
stay away from tupperware gun!
just kidding, i own glock too...
hehehe
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Ok guys...this is fun and all.  If there really is a cute girl in the same town as me then I'll let you shoot whatever you want.  This sounds a little bit fishy too me.  Anybody else think that?  
View Quote

What makes you think she is cute?

Are you sure she isnt a he?

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 8:48:26 PM EDT
[#43]
[beavis and butthead mode] eh heh heh  eheheheeeee... She said "squeeze cocker."   heh eh eheh heh....[/beavis and butthead mode]

Seriously, I have quite a few women in my department that swear by the Sig P229.  Smaller frame, fits them well, and a quality weapon.  And you can mount a light on it.

Good Luck!

AZTrooper
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#45]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=158542[/url]

I introduced myself in this thread and it has pictures of me... I swear I'm not a secret FBI agent or ATF or a Guy....either. lol
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I got just the "gun" for you sweetheart, and you're welcum to come over and shoot it any time you like[;)]
View Quote

Don't you know how to act around a lady?  Messages like that make me embarrassed to be associated with you guys sometimes.  How old are you, 14?? [rolleyes]

I'd like to apologize for that Kara.  There are many of us here who are genuinely interested in helping you make your decision.

USPC40

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=469[/img]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sgtar15

PS  You [i]are[/i] 18y.o. right???
View Quote

Sgtar15 she didn't say she wanted a derringer!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't write off the .45 because of recoil.  A nice steel framed .45 feels just great, the recoil is almost pleasant.  Much nicer than the sharp whack of a .40.

BTW, I think we should invite Triumph the Insult Talking Dog to the arf.com shoot next October.  He would have a field day. [:P]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#49]
If you have a problem with autos then a revolver is your huckelberry!

Six verses seven or even 17 rounds missed is the issue here!   I own just as many revolvers as autos,  just a thought!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:37:08 PM EDT
[#50]
sgtar15,  please be polite!  We need more ladies who like to shoot & should adjust the crude to fit the situation.

xxKAREBEARxx you are going about this exactly right.  Shoot many and choose the one that you find feels "right", generally hits what you aim at and is the highest power you can shoot reliably.  When you find the "right" one, buy it and ammo by the case.  Fire it until operation is instinctive and hitting your target is almost too easy.  Remember most handgun encounters are NOT at 50 yards, nor even 25.  If you are threatened or scared you will revert to what you have practiced most.  Therefore, practice at realistic combat ranges using man sized targets.  Learn to shoot with EITHER hand, it may save your life or your virtue.

Welcome to the fun and rewarding world of being not just equal to a 250 pound man, but likely his better if you practice.  It has been my experience that women who can shoot at all are instinctively better shots than men - includes ones I have taught from 10 to over 70.

REFUSE to be a VICTIM!!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top