Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 1/29/2014 5:37:23 PM EDT
Going to paraphrase Neal Boortz here:

First of all it is not snow. It may be snow at first but it normally ends up just being a slight layer of snow on ice or gets melted the next day due to temps above freezing and then freezes the next day. Sorry, 4 wheel drive will not help you on ice. Neither will "chains" which are not readily available down here. If you think I'm wrong feel free to come on down sometime and show us how it's done.

Second, shut the hell up about not having enough snow plows and salt trucks. We don't get this weather often enough to justify the expense. Why don't you Yankees do what we do when we have these winter storms? When you guys have big storms like Hurricane Sandy we send our people up to help in the form of electric power trucks to help restore the electricity up there. Do we ever see any of your salt trucks or snow plows down here? No? Okay then shut up.

Speaking of hurricanes, for the most part we are prepared for those down here because they happen often, just like the north is prepared for winter storms. Unlike Sandy, we didn't make fun of New Jersey for not being as prepared for the storm because they don't happen that often up there, we sent help. We have have a snow/ice storm, 1,000 of people stranded on the roads and what do I hear from Yankees? "I hate the South! You'se guys don't know how to drive in the snow.

Just shut up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You mad bra? We have an inch on our roads and it was -17 today. No problems driving around, you just need more practice
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys seriously just can't drive in the snow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
It got down to 32 in Houston.... EVERYTHING shut down lol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
All I hear from you southerners is "blah, blah, blah, I drive like a retard and get butthurt when called out over it."
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]
How hard is it to throw a snow plow on the front of a dump truck? You do have dump trucks, don't you? What about a sander?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you think snow and water act different up here?

Ice sucks but you can drive on it

Also, we send lineman down there the same as you send them up here
Not the same
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You mad bra? We have an inch on our roads and it was -17 today. No problems driving around, you just need more practice
View Quote

Didn't get that part about where we don't really get a chance for much practice did you.

Come on down! Show us how to do it! I'll be the one laughing when you spin out and end up in the ditch. It's ICE!
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Didn't get that part about where we don't really get a chance for much practice did you.

Come on down! Show us how to do it! I'll be the one laughing when you spin out and end up in the ditch. It's ICE!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll just drive the correct speed for the conditions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
0/10. Weak rant.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]

I live in Arizona.

u r all ghaei
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I drove in my first ice storm at 14.  Even having my license for less than four months I knew to adjust my speed to conditions and accelerate slowly.  Still haven't hit the ditch 17 years later.  It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

First of all it is not snow. It may be snow at first but it normally ends up just being a slight layer of snow on ice or gets melted the next day due to temps above freezing and then freezes the next day. Sorry, 4 wheel drive will not help you on ice. Neither will "chains" which are not readily available down here. If you think I'm wrong feel free to come on down sometime and show us how it's done.

Second, shut the hell up about not having enough snow plows and salt trucks. We don't get this weather often enough to justify the expense. Why don't you Yankees do what we do when we have these winter storms? When you guys have big storms like Hurricane Sandy we send our people up to help in the form of electric power trucks to help restore the electricity up there. Do we ever see any of your salt trucks or snow plows down here? No? Okay then shut up.

Speaking of hurricanes, for the most part we are prepared for those down here because they happen often, just like the north is prepared for winter storms. Unlike Sandy, we didn't make fun of New Jersey for not being as prepared for the storm because they don't happen that often up there, we sent help. We have have a snow/ice storm, 1,000 of people stranded on the roads and what do I hear from Yankees? "I hate the South! You'se guys don't know how to drive in the snow.

Just shut up.
View Quote

IIRC, plenty of you did, maybe not you personally.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometime in the mid 90s I passed a Charlotte NC cop on Pineville Matthews Road during a snow fall, he was plodding along at about 15mph and I passed him at about 35, he hit his lights to come after me.

I guess he thought I was driving recklessly for the conditions, and was going to straighten me out.

He promptly did a 180 right onto the right hand curb and over into a parking lot.

Good times
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
It's not that folks down south can't drive on ice, because no one can really. It's just how ridiculously out of hand the situation has gotten down there due to a tiny amount of snow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:50:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just shut up.

Yeah I'll admit to that one.....................buut shut the hell up yanks  
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Meh... We don't do well with winter, Yankees don't do well with freedom... It all evens out.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Lol Georgia
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#19]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Good idea. Let's melt the ice

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

We seriously don't "need" to, except once every ten years.

Hurricanes are another story....we got that covered.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Stop running yer mouth and learn how to drive.

The problem isn't the snow, lack of equipment, etc.  It's the brain dead people who don't know enough to slow down and act like they have zero common sense.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]
We will still make fun of you.

Fuck all, when I was working in Port Arthur, TX back in '08/'09 they shut the bridge down because of a half-a-fucking-inch of snow. A. Half. An. Inch.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Comparing Sandy to Ice on the road ...... Seems legit.
I live in Las Vegas. 120 in the summer and it snows maybe once every 15 years...... I HAVE CHAINS IN THE GARAGE.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Yea, there were a ton of snide remarks leading up to and following hurricane sandy.

I would also like to state that comparing a hurricane to a bit of snow and ice is fucking absurd.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just shut up.
View Quote

I spent 4 years in NC. Every time it snows you fuckers act like it was the first time in 100 years that it happened.  But every year or so it happens to.  

When you speak about being prepared for hurricanes, you mean NY sending Chinooks with me in them to fly mission after mission was just for nothing?

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Everytime you guys have a hurricane all I see is our power company trucks heading south by the hundreds.

All it takes is common sense to drive in bad weather. Chains and 4 wheel drive don't work? Watch Ice Road Truckers sometime pal.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't help but notice all the MIDWESTERNERS (aka FLAT Landers) talking about how easy it is to drive on ice and snow.   Since I grew up in OH, as well as lived in MA, CT, PA, WI, MN, & IL as well as Finland and Sweden...I know how to drive in the snow and ice.  

What Atlanta has (especially north of ATL) are things called "hills".  When ice gets on hills...the cars slide back down the hill if they do not have the traction

I drove 15 hours in it yesterday...it sucked.  It was the worse winter driving I have ever encountered due to the solid 1-2" of ice layer under the powder snow.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Lol Georgia
View Quote

Southern ice is much more slickery than northern ice, everyone knows that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Salt, motherfucker! Do you spread it?!
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh! My bad! I guess you guys can't drive in the snow either!

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-pileup-indiana-20140124,0,5202718.story#axzz2rqWKuYU7
View Quote

Huh, I wonder what that many southerners are doing in Indiana this time of year.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How hard is it to throw a snow plow on the front of a dump truck? You do have dump trucks, don't you?
View Quote

Take a lot more day laborers to push it with a snow plow on it.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:55:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol Georgia

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guarantee you that I can drive better on snow than the majority of you Northerners.  I learned to drive on snow in the mountains.  When you are at 4-5K feet in elevation on a winding mountain road with no guardrails, you become pretty proficient at it.

But yes, the majority of those folks in Atlanta just can't drive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#36]
What snow?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Wow butthurt much?
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just shut up.
View Quote

That is a perfect example why people in the south don't care for people from up north. They are rude, lacking manners and don't give a shit about anyone but themselves. I'm glad I grew up knowing this was the way it is so I don't get screwed over by one. It's saved my ass more than once. How's that saying go, "I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire?"
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't worry northerners don't know how to drive in the snow either.  I' am a southern transplant to MI and the first real snow (1"-2") they has here they didn't know how to drive either.  It took me 45min to drive 7 miles because nobody would go over 5mph.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#40]
oh look another south vs north snow whine thread
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Tip for the southerners always planning for retribution for the war of northern aggression: start your campaign in the spring

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I just wrote my name in the snow, haven't done that in a long time since it rarely snows here.  (grew up in south Chicago suburbs)

I thought about posting the pic I took but it may violate the COC  

It's all in the hips!
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#43]
never owned snow chains and have no problem driving in snow and ice. you need to slow down... be easy on the brakes and throttle and ffs steer the vehicle even if you are sliding
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#44]
The south is not prepared for winter in any way. Just call a spade a spade. Spend a couple hundred thousand of all the "state of emergency" money the Governors are requesting on some equipment and some salt/sand and be done with it.

I'm sorry but brining the roads 2 full days before the storm is fucking retarded and useless especially when you know its suppsed to rain for the first 18 hours of the storm. Learn crom the states that deal with winter weather on a regular basis and uit trying to re-invent the wheel.

I grew up in a snow state, and have no issues driving in the weather down here. Yes, its icy as hell at my house and on my commute, cautious driving or STAYING OFF THE FUCKING ROADS goes a long way. I went out and drove around today through our state of emergency without issue and saw a bunch of idiots scattered all over the roads and ditches. Hell the southerners have a hard time driving in the rainlet alone winter weather.

Don't blame the government and north/south prejudices for simple unpreparedness. None of the stores around here sell rock salt or salted sand. So i went out in my front yard to the ocean and grabbed some wet sand from the salt water. Guess what i spread on my steps to make them safe for my family and dog?? If I can think of this why canmt the rest of the residents? Why are residents calling 911 because they don't have enough food and they have been "trapped" in their homes for 2 days?

Seriously, take some responsibility.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't worry northerners don't know how to drive in the snow either.  I' am a southern transplant to MI and the first real snow (1"-2") they has here they didn't know how to drive either.  It took me 45min to drive 7 miles because nobody would go over 5mph.
View Quote

See while that might be going overboard, that IS knowing how to drive in the snow. Slow down and take your time versus crash and abandon your cars.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#46]
The whole problem is these big city folks don't know when to turn off the "drive like a fucking douchbag" switch when the weather gets bad.........

OUTTA MY WAY MOTHERFUCKERS!  LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING YOU COCKBITERS111
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why don't you Yankees do what we do when we have these winter storms? When you guys have big storms like Hurricane Sandy we send our people up to help in the form of electric power trucks to help restore the electricity up there. Do we ever see any of your salt trucks or snow plows down here? No? Okay then shut up.
View Quote

Utility companies...private entities for the most part.... have agreements to help each other out
I don't know of any agreements between my town and county DOTs and their counterparts in your area
I doubt the local taxpayers would like our equipment and personnel leaving our AO to help you in yours. The crews and trucks are busy enough keeping our own roads clear
I took a call at the office the other day at about 9 PM, about 30 minutes after a switch had been thrown and it went from no snow to a white out.
Some lady was mad that her road hadn't been instantly plowed on a weekend night
I tried to be really polite in explaining that it was equally bad all over and the plows would get to her road eventually.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#49]
LOL, no. Seriously, it's okay. You simply don't possess the capability to drive your vehicles in a flurry. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Who gives a fuck what they think?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top