Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2002 12:44:36 PM EDT
So, I fianlly am replacing my 4-5yro Gateway P2 450mhz with a Dell... The small biz upgrades and rebates where just good at this time.
Few questions though (since I haven't done this in a while.)

What is the best way to get my bookmarks/favorites from my old hard drive to my new HD ? Same goes for my e-mails ? I think I pretty much have everything else covered. The one thing that is about DSL (I use Bellsouth) how to I move that from one to the other ?

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You might what to mention the peices of software you were using?

Email?

Browser??

"Hey, can you guys help me with my car, the engine knocks?"

Is it desiel or standard?

Don't know.

Well, then I can'thelp you.

Link Posted: 12/9/2002 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
right, right, good point.
MS Internet Explorer 6
MS Outlook Express

I still have 98 on this computer, but the new one will have XP Home.

Thanks for pointing out my lack of information.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
In IE go to file...then import/export. It should be obvious from there.

The folder where your bookmarks/favorites are stored is c:\windows\favorites
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:12:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Outlook Express folders are usually named something.dbx.  You could search for that filename.  Or, if I remember correctly, I think Windows 9x systems store it somewhere under C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#5]
The guys I know from Dell (and I know several)all recommend XP Pro over XP Home.  When current operation systems are discussed XP Pro gets their nod of approval.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone for the help.

regards
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Ex GTW tech support giving you your last word of advice.

You new box has Xp unless you requested something different. If so Xp has a "[b]File and Settings transfer Wizard[/b]" which can handle the migration of all M$ based data. Netscape and 3rd party email readers are not directly supported.

[i]Remember - Step One - [b]RTFM[/b][/i].
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks !

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The guys I know from Dell (and I know several)all recommend XP Pro over XP Home.  When current operation systems are discussed XP Pro gets their nod of approval.
View Quote

Actually, this brings up a question.  If my main use of a new computer is to play the latest games, should I still go with XP Pro?  I remember the last generation OS's everybody recommended 98 over 2000 because it supported gaming so much better.

-kill-9
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I got an Inspiron 8200 with XP Pro, and I think it's the best computer I have ever had. I didn't move my bookmarks, but I think the best way would be to email the file to yourself, then download it. A transfer on a disk might not work, my two computers can't be networked or share files on a disk. Too great a diffference in age and setup.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Dell desktop. next thing is to take it down range, open it up and place tannerite inside. go to the fireing area. snd blow it to hell.

i hate dell/gateway/hp desktops. if its a laptop thats fine then, ill let you live...
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
You could CRY because you could've bought a preban w/ the $ you would've saved buying a superdell (PROGUN) or an emachines (Cheap and powerful..)
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So, I fianlly am replacing my 4-5yro Gateway P2 450mhz with a Dell...
View Quote

And you might even be able to slap in a 1.4Ghz CPU into the old Gateway, thus giving you a nice machine for the wife or the kids or whatever.

What is the best way to get my bookmarks/favorites from my old hard drive to my new HD?
View Quote

Somewhere in your old computer is a folder called Favorites. Copy the contents thereof into the Favorites folder in your new computer.

Same goes for my e-mails ? I think I pretty much have everything else covered.
View Quote

Look for files with the .dbx ending (you might have to enable "show all file extension" in Windows Explorer. Do that on both machines.) Copy the complete folder on the computer, there, open your e-mail program and import the e-mails from it.

The one thing that is about DSL (I use Bellsouth) how to I move that from one to the other?
View Quote

Well, since you'll have two computers, you might as well connect them to each other (also saves you the time to burn all the files from the old PC on CDs, just copy them from harddrive to harddrive), and have them share the DSL connection. Go buy a hub for about 20 bucks, cables for about $6, the new comp should have a network card already, if not, they are about 9 to 40 bucks.
Setting up the network is a piece of cake (just come back here and ask ;)
Where was I? Right. The idea here was how to configure your new PC for the DSL connection. Normally, you won't have to do a thing. Plug your DSL thingie into the phone jack, and the other end connects to the hub, and from the hub you go to your respective computers. Normally, you don't have to set anything up on the PCs nor should you have to install any kind of "dial-up" software, but if it doesn't work right away, come back here, and you'll get help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#14]
No wife, no kids...

I was going to pull the old HD and slave it, then copy what I wanted copied.

I ordered it w/o a monitor (I have a good one already, 19" and all.)

And to the poster who said it... I could have bought half a pre-ban with the money I spent.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top