Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2014 4:14:01 PM EDT
When I hear protection I instantly think a condom. But not this time. I just set up a vise on my work bench and am wondering what kind of "protection" do you all put between your vise surface and your firearms or parts in order to protect them from damage.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Usually a rag or maybe some cardboard for me, if I'm really gonna crank down on it and secure the gun tight then I'll thicken it up some. Double the rag over or maybe fold/double the cardboard.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Inexpensive is always good!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Does your vice jaws face have screws where you can remove the steel jaws and replace with wood?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Inexpensive is always good!
View Quote

Absolutely. There are other, more expensive ways like vise blocks they sell for AR uppers and lowers but I've never used any. Never done the work to need them though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]

I use a old leather belt cut into 6" strips.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's actually a good idea, never thought of that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use old towels, rags, or some harbor fright polyurethane vise soft pads. magnetic, you can get several angles on them.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I just bought an oak 1x8 to do this for my Muzzleloader build.  Might line with leather.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and purchase a set of silicon vise jaw pads.  Mine are made by Wilton.  They are inexpensive and you will use them much more than you think.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#10]
lay a sheet of lead down and beat it over the jaw to fit. repeat on the other side. Done.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#11]
leather scraps

silicon vice blocks

piece of garden hose to protect a barrel

rags

wood blocks cut to shape
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top