Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2014 6:06:40 AM EDT
What should I expect?  He is fixing a biceps tendon and possibly some work on the rotator cuff.   I'll be in a sling for a week and then restricted to five pounds lifting for six weeks.  Doesn't sound too bad.  44 and I have never been under anesthesia though

Any experiences?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:14:45 AM EDT
[#1]

You won't know when the anesthesia hits you then next thing you know, someone is waking you up and it's over.

The doctor installed a pain "ball" on my shouder that slowly fed me pain meds... just enough to keep me from really hurting and not enough to keep me dopey.

Whatever exercises and physical therapy the set up for you...DO THEM! And keep doing them as much as you can to regain full range of your shoulder. When you get sick of doing them, do it again. Completely serious.

And best of luck to you this afternoon!

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:30:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck, and do your physical therapy
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What should I expect?  He is fixing a biceps tendon and possibly some work on the rotator cuff.   I'll be in a sling for a week and then restricted to five pounds lifting for six weeks.  Doesn't sound too bad.  44 and I have never been under anesthesia though

Any experiences?

View Quote
HD92 and I just went through this, although, mine was a bit more extensive then it looks like you will get.

You might want to read through this thread.  If I can answer any questions, IM me, or ask the question here.  Good luck bud!

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar surgery almost a year ago today. I'll be 42 next week.

I did a total of 60 dead hang pull-ups yesterday.

Do your physical therapy.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I never liked being in the hospital but then back in those days there was no internet or ar15.com to keep me company either.  Good luck with the surgery.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Do your physical therapy religiously.

Those recovery times sound wildly optimistic. Just to be safe,  plan on 6 months for a full recovery with no restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Buddies who have had rotator cuff surgery all said take the pain meds before the anaesthesia wears off. They said the pain was pretty bad. They did the exercises and are back to normal now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Iv had a repair done for a SLAP Lesion  and a Bankart Lesion. It wasn't really that bad except for the some days where the throbbing pain would not stop. I didn't use many painkillers since they really had no effect, and for some reason they would keep me up at night and was unable to sleep.

If they offer a nerve block. THAT IS A MUST! Sure your arm will be paralyzed for a long time and you won't feel the real pain, makes sleeping it off a lot easier. I also had 9 anchors inserted into my shoulder.

The anesthesia  wasn't too bad, just rolled my oats once, after i stomached it so I could get released early. All I remember before I went under was it felt like my veins are on fire, followed by this feeling is the best!!, followed by I'm sleepy.

Also... i forgot PHYSICAL THERAPY!!! AND STICK TO IT!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#9]
How ironic that I'm sitting in my doctor's office now waiting to review my mri and to schedule my 4th left shoulder surgery. I've had SLAP tears every time.

The surgery hurts but the physical therapy sucks more.

Sleeping in a chair for the first month sucks too.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have reconstructive surgery on my right shoulder. Had an option from the anesthesiologist to numb the nerve leading to my arm that numbs up the whole thing for a few days. I was a little weirded out by it but did it anyways. IF YOU HAVE THE OPTION DO IT. makes recovery less painful those first few days. When I woke up the guy next to me didnt do it according to the nurse and was not feeling great.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#12]
In pre - op.  Thanks for the replies guys!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I give anesthesia, and would second the above opinions on a nerve block if available (brachial plexus & superficial cervical plexus). Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Get the nerve block!
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I got away with no surgery on mine just had to put it back in socket but the doc told me surgery will likely be in my future. As far as the knock out juice, I dont know what the first shot was but it was like instant drunk before she even pulled the syringe out and the shot that put me out? She said she was going to count to 5 and all I heard was 1, 2........... woke up about 18 hours later needing pain meds

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:12:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Good luck man.  May want to tell em you want to keep your legs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#17]
It sucks  But you are probably already ready for that.  You won't be in much pain right after surgery.  However, when the good stuff wears off you will be hurtin'.  I would suggest that you fill your pain meds as soon as possible.  I would also suggest that you take them on schedule even if that means setting an alarm to wake yourself or taking them before you start feeling a great deal of pain.  If you're thinking, "gee this is a little painful, but doesn't hurt too bad, I'll skip this round"  you are probably wrong.  Once the meds wear off, its tough to catch up.

On the other end.  PT.  Do exactly what the surgeon and PT guys tell you to do.  Don't cheat yourself and don't over do it.  

Good luck!  You have my sympathies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top