Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2014 5:47:56 PM EDT
Well... That was the first time I've made THAT mistake.  House full of smoke and some blistered paint on the mantle.

That was about 45 seconds of excitement and a couple of days of feeling like a retard.  Fuck... I know better than that.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL pics
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Why the paint damage?

Did you start it with gas?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#3]
And don't close it unless you are 100% sure the fire is out.

Got woken up by the CO2 detector at 3am to a house full of smoke.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Been there, done that this fall. Alarming until you realize what the problem is.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I did something similar a couple weeks ago. I had to get rid of a few scraps of cardboard and ended up with a house full of smoke and some soot on the bottom of the mantle .
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why the paint damage?

Did you start it with gas?
View Quote

Well... I make a serious fire, and they catch pretty quickly.  So, I fired it up and had a little bit of smoke come out.  Of course, I had just got home after a 13 hour day, 3 hours of sleep the night before and THEN decided to go for a run.  Basically, I was pretty rummy-dummy and in a hurry.  Not a good enough excuse, but still.

Anyways, a little smoke came out and I thought, "I'm not getting a good draft, I'll crack the front door and that will get it going"

Oh boy, it certainly did... Fed cool, fresh air right to the fire that now had nowhere to go but out and up.  So, It blistered the paint pretty good and left some soot on the bricks.  Once I saw that I instantly realized what happened.  With the fire going so well it took longer than I would have liked to get through the flames and get that thing open.

The funny thing is that apparently, it's not the first time this has happened.... I started peeling the paint off and found scorched wood underneath.  I guess some previous owner is as stupid as I am.  

At least the upshot is that it helped convince the wife we need an honest to God wood stove insert instead of just a fireplace.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I find opening a window in the room my stove is in helps speed up the draft going up the chimney as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I dunno, doesn't it matter what it is you are burning.

We often run our fireplace with the flume closed, keeps heat in.  Of course we are burning fake ceramic logs, no wood.  No smoke.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#9]
My mom did this last week.

oops
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Did this when I moved into my first place. The landlord said it was open but I really should have double checked. Had white brick all around the fireplace, had.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top