Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:18:31 AM EDT
Are they good?  What would you get.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

One that fits. Same group size and all...
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are good but I use advance auto gold batteries.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny Man
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#4]
One that hasn't been sitting on the shelf a long time
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I used their batteries for many years in Fire/Rescue Vehicles.
They changed the internal construction and they never performed as well again.
Run them down once or twice and they'd never recover again.
Plates swell and sulfate.
NAPA seems to be the king for me these days.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of batteries are made in the same factories and they just put different stickers on them
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Only had two, one died and one lasted a long time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both batteries are made by Johnson.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quality has gone down significantly in the last few years. In Arizona, you expect to get 2-3 years out of a battery TOPS. The last batch we received were being warrantied at 6 months to 1.5 years. We recently changed to ACDelco for their 5 year no bullshit warranty and cheaper cost on our end.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Interstate has the most retarded return policy.

I took one back last year that should have had warranty on it, and the final cost on a new one was going to cost more than I paid for the old one.  It was a 60mo battery, IIRC.  I've put 3 different ones in the same truck in the past 7 years although I will admit, there was a constant draw on it and the truck sometimes sat for 30 days or longer.  

My 2 most local suppliers have both stopped dealing interstate due to their return policies.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Any time i buy a battery for my car or truck I always went to auto zone and said " I want the biggest battery that I could put in it".
So far that has always worked for me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quality has gone down significantly in the last few years. In Arizona, you expect to get 2-3 years out of a battery TOPS. The last batch we received were being warrantied at 6 months to 1.5 years. We recently changed to ACDelco for their 5 year no bullshit warranty and cheaper cost on our end.
View Quote

Fleet? Cause it ain't five years on a fleet, it's six to 18 mos depending on battery. Our ACDelco battery vendor f's with our warranty battery claims like no body I've ever seen, and you have to watch them. They tried claiming some averaging b.s., we only warranted one this quarter but across the year we warranted like six and ya'll only turned in one last quarter so that totally makes up for the thirty that should've been across the last year. Our vendor does not rotate stock like they say they do, and they tried claiming the warranty was based on the manufacture date. Of course unless you have definitive records of install date that's what they have to go by. We run batteries about as hard as anyone outside the arctic and I would love to try another brand because the ACDelcos don't last.

We switched back to Interstate from Napa at the Fleet I worked in AK, customer service was top notch, and replacements declined in frequency, but it's been a couple years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#13]
They were pretty good batteries 20 years ago, no idea about now-a-days.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Only ones I buy, I've had very good experiences with them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I have had 2 Interstate batteries blow up. THis was 25 years ago though but I'll never own another one.
Luckily the hood was closed each time.
I have no idea how they are today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fleet? Cause it ain't five years on a fleet, it's six to 18 mos depending on battery. Our ACDelco battery vendor f's with our warranty battery claims like no body I've ever seen, and you have to watch them. They tried claiming some averaging b.s., we only warranted one this quarter but across the year we warranted like six and ya'll only turned in one last quarter so that totally makes up for the thirty that should've been across the last year. Our vendor does not rotate stock like they say they do, and they tried claiming the warranty was based on the manufacture date. Of course unless you have definitive records of install date that's what they have to go by. We run batteries about as hard as anyone outside the arctic and I would love to try another brand because the ACDelcos don't last.

We switched back to Interstate from Napa at the Fleet I worked in AK, customer service was top notch, and replacements declined in frequency, but it's been a couple years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've changed hundred of batteries in my shop, the ACDelco's are one of the longest lasting batteries I see. I've pulled out ACDelco's that were 16 years old, I've had ones that were 12-13 years old and still tested good. Honestly, ALL the OE batteries last longer than the aftermarket ones, from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just had one crap out in 2 years...I did however get a new one for free

OP, I run a interstate miata battery in my STi for weight savings. I have zero complaints.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Green tops are virgin lead = more$$
Gray tops are recycled lead to some percent = less $$
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A lot of batteries are made in the same factories and they just put different stickers on them
View Quote

This - there's only a couple of battery manufacturers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Interstate does not manufacture batteries.  They contract out that part of their business.  They are a distributor.  

As is the case with thousands of products out there, you will find many different companies and distributors getting their products from a relatively small number of manufacturers.  This is true of everything from dog food to lawn mowers and everything in between and beyond.

Manufactures make products for other people to match their specifications.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, Johnson Controls.

They make
Interstate, Walmart brand, Optima, Advance Auto Parts, Motorcraft.  Out of 3 new Ford vehicles, I've had 2 go 10 years and 1 not make it to 5.  

Other makers are East Penn who make Deka and Diehard, and Exide makes a few, like the old Walmart batteries before they went bankrupt.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Back many years ago my first job was at a battery distributorship .   All batteries went out without a label on them. When the route guy stopped at a store he would go in and see what they needed  and placed five different labels on the same batteries...Maybe they have changed but I would think most are the same....Just check the size for the label and will bet most are the same....Yokum Battery Company, Tampa ,Fl... 1975

ETA. I buy a new boat battery every two years  just because I hate sitting in the middle of the bay feeling like a dumb ass....
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#25]

I just bought a DieHard Gold last week, had better specs and warranty and was about $30 cheaper than InterState.

YMMV

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#26]
i'm in the market for a new battery for my beater 91 mr2 (2.2 NA)
the ones sized for the car run about $100, there are others that are different sizes with the same amps and cca or more.. as long as they physically fit they're gtg right?

what would you guys say the best ones were in order 1 -  best 5 - worst
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Interstate driver supplies me with my Mopar batteries.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Back many years ago my first job was at a battery distributorship .   All batteries went out without a label on them. When the route guy stopped at a store he would go in and see what they needed  and placed five different labels on the same batteries...Maybe they have changed but I would think most are the same....Just check the size for the label and will bet most are the same....Yokum Battery Company, Tampa ,Fl... 1975

ETA. I buy a new boat battery every two years  just because I hate sitting in the middle of the bay feeling like a dumb ass....
View Quote

I had to put a couple of Mopar stickers on some batteries that the Interstate guy dropped off.

The batteries were wet, so I waited till they dried.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Interstate driver supplies me with my Mopar batteries.
View Quote

Are the MOPAR units  made in Mexico, as are  the  INTERSTATE branded batteries ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i'm in the market for a new battery for my beater 91 mr2 (2.2 NA)
the ones sized for the car run about $100, there are others that are different sizes with the same amps and cca or more.. as long as they physically fit they're gtg right?

what would you guys say the best ones were in order 1 -  best 5 - worst
View Quote

The way I take it...as long as it fits in the car...the CCA doesn't matter.  The higher the CCA, the better the battery...IMO

For instance, the OEM battery for my car is a 585 CCA brand new.
I just installed a 800CCA battery with no issues and my car starts up really fast.  Even Idles smoother.  I think my old battery was getting really bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top