Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 6:50:07 AM EDT
FYI, woot.com has pretty good deal on an AR-15 armorers tool kit today.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:54:23 AM EDT
[#2]
??

Link?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
??

Link?
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
FYI, woot.com has pretty good deal on an AR-15 armorers tool kit today.
View Quote

Thanks for the link, bro.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad deal. I have the same vice block with gas tube tool and it works awesome.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#7]
What is an adjustable receiver link?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Needs more Channel Locks  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Beyond this kit, would there be any other specialized tools needed to complete a rifle build from the ground up?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Needs more Channel Locks  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Needs more Channel Locks  

And painter's tape

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Grabbed one!  Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn it.

Bought one.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:09:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Beyond this kit, would there be any other specialized tools needed to complete a rifle build from the ground up?
View Quote

Far from an expert but you'll definitely need a set of roll pin punches.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:12:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Headspace gauge?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#15]
picked one up.  thanks
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Got mine. Thanks OP
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me too.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Me too.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  

+1
.. didnt need that 60$ anyway.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]
not bad, i'd buy one if i didnt have most of that shit already
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:29:13 AM EDT
[#20]
There goes another set...
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If
you're pinning the gas block to the barrel yourself, there is a special
jig, and you need milling bits instead of drill bits to make the
holes.  If it's already pinned, or installs with a set screw, you'll be
fine.

Not really special, but you need pliers, a hammer, and a
screwdriver.  Snap ring pliers are nice but
not necessary.  Masking tap is nice to avoid marring the surface on a
couple steps.

Quoted:

Headspace gauge?
Some people feel better checking it, but it's by no means necessary.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Headspace gauge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Headspace gauge?

Who here assembles barrel extensions to the barrel? In other words, no.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Damn you ARFCOM, making me spend all of my money.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Review at Amazon:

10 of 11 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Essentials?, June 17, 2013
By Bryan M Montford "Multidisciplinary Artist" (Springfield MO) - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Wheeler AR-15 Armorer's Essentials Kit (Sports)

Essentials. Yet there's no delta ring tool. Ever try to remove a delta ring without one? No punches, but there are "push pins". No hammer. A nice inexpensive polymer head would be nice. The barrel nut tool only has two pegs. Some less expensive barrel nuts can fail with only two pegs, especially for those who use more force than finesse to "fit" parts. The torque wrench only starts to register force right at the minimum needed for mil spec barrel installation, making limited for anything but barrels. And if you've rechased your threads with appropriate taps and dies and lapped your receiver you may only need say 30lbs to get solid installation. The lower block is pretty good, if you have the ultimate workbench to mount it on, but it's about average otherwise. There's a couple others for about the same or a little less a bit more versatile. The upper block, is sufficient. The gas tube alignment tool is better than not having one, by far. The instructions while accurate are a bit sparse for a novice. There's little room for much of anything else in the bag. A couple of the screwdriver bits included are flat out awesome. Aside from the torque wrench, there's little here the average user, or even occasional builder really needs (and that's only going to get used changing barrels). Someone working as a smith or armorer is likely going to want tools with better performance. And not meaning necessarily increased overall price either. But as a kit, it will get the job done, and it keeps it together in one place. Selecting a few choice pieces, getting a smaller sized bag that'll hold your selection of tools, and a visit to harbor freight will render better value. Just more time invested in picking out the good value items from the not so good. This isn't a bad product. It just could be more effective, and similarly priced, or less expensive for what's included.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-AR-15-Armorers-Essentials-Kit/product-reviews/B00AUEHR98/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Review at Amazon:

10 of 11 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Essentials?, June 17, 2013
By Bryan M Montford "Multidisciplinary Artist" (Springfield MO) - See all my reviewsAmazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Wheeler AR-15 Armorer's Essentials Kit (Sports)

Essentials. Yet there's no delta ring tool. Ever try to remove a delta ring without one? No punches, but there are "push pins". No hammer. A nice inexpensive polymer head would be nice. The barrel nut tool only has two pegs. Some less expensive barrel nuts can fail with only two pegs, especially for those who use more force than finesse to "fit" parts. The torque wrench only starts to register force right at the minimum needed for mil spec barrel installation, making limited for anything but barrels. And if you've rechased your threads with appropriate taps and dies and lapped your receiver you may only need say 30lbs to get solid installation. The lower block is pretty good, if you have the ultimate workbench to mount it on, but it's about average otherwise. There's a couple others for about the same or a little less a bit more versatile. The upper block, is sufficient. The gas tube alignment tool is better than not having one, by far. The instructions while accurate are a bit sparse for a novice. There's little room for much of anything else in the bag. A couple of the screwdriver bits included are flat out awesome. Aside from the torque wrench, there's little here the average user, or even occasional builder really needs (and that's only going to get used changing barrels). Someone working as a smith or armorer is likely going to want tools with better performance. And not meaning necessarily increased overall price either. But as a kit, it will get the job done, and it keeps it together in one place. Selecting a few choice pieces, getting a smaller sized bag that'll hold your selection of tools, and a visit to harbor freight will render better value. Just more time invested in picking out the good value items from the not so good. This isn't a bad product. It just could be more effective, and similarly priced, or less expensive for what's included.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-AR-15-Armorers-Essentials-Kit/product-reviews/B00AUEHR98/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1
View Quote

Guy complains about cheap tools, but then advises to go to Harbor Freight?

Oh, and I hate you people - you make me spend money.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#26]
What... no Dremel?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What... no Dremel?
View Quote

Barrel fluting tools are in the advanced kit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Bump for night crew.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top