Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 4:54:41 AM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/27/world/asia/choco-pie-koreas/

How Choco Pie infiltrated North Korea's sweet tooth

The first time the South Korean factory owner watched his North Korean employees nibble on a Choco Pie, they appeared shocked -- even overwhelmed.

He summed up their reaction to the South Korean snack in one word: "Ecstasy."

Much like what Twinkies are to Americans, South Korea's Choco Pies -- two disc-shaped, chocolate-covered cakes, sandwiching a rubbery layer of marshmallow cream -- are ubiquitous, cost less than 50 cents and are full of empty calories.

But on the other side of the Korean border, the snacks are viewed as exotic, highly prized treats, selling on North Korea's black markets for as much as $10, according to analysts. Their rising popularity in the north reveals an unexpected common ground between the two Koreas, despite their fractious relationship -- a shared sweet tooth.

We need to saturate the country with leaflets that say "Kill a commie and win a box of Choco Pies"

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#2]
That's it! We bomb the norks with moon pies, wait for them to all get diabetes and then we can walk right through!

We'll even let e have some RC Cola!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a Moonpie.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
How can I get one of those?  All I've been eating is dead birds and coffee made from snow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:10:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a Moonpie.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How can I get one of those?  All I've been eating is dead birds and coffee made from snow.
View Quote

only on tuesdays
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Al while the US easts snow
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:45:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Geez, I have to do all the heavy lifting around here.  

History

Variations on the original go back as far as 1917 in the American South. In 1929, Chattanooga Bakery created the official Moon pie with marshmallow filling and Graham crackers for local miners in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

In the wake of World War II and the Korean War, the snack gained popularity in East Asia through its introduction by American GIs. Starting in 1958, a similar type of marshmallow filled cake was developed by Morinaga in Japan as 'Angel Pie'.

Orion Confectionery began selling a similar product known as 'Orion Choco Pie' in 1974. The company claims that in 1973, a member of the Tongyang R&D team visited a hotel in Georgia, US, and was inspired by the chocolate-coated sweets available in the hotel's restaurant. He returned to South Korea and began experimenting with a chocolate biscuit cake, creating the Choco Pie as it is known to Koreans. The name 'Choco Pie' became popular when Tongyang first released the Orion Choco Pie, and was well received by Korean children as well as the elderly thanks to its affordable price and white marshmallow filling. Tongyang Confectionery later renamed the company Orion Confectionery thanks to the success of the Orion Choco Pie brand.

In 1979 Lotte Confectionery began to sell a similar confection. When Lotte Confectionery put the Lotte Choco Pie on the market, it chose to spell the prefix 'Cho' slightly differently in Hangul from how Tongyang was spelling it. Haitai and Crown Confectionery also began selling their own versions of Choco pies. In 1999 Tongyang (Orion) filed a lawsuit against Lotte for their use of the term 'Choco Pie'. The results of the court ruling, however, determined that the term 'Choco Pie' was to be considered a common noun due to its generic descriptive sense in reference to confections of similar composition.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
moonpies, Soju, OB Beer, and nasty Korean cigarettes ahh the memories still haunt me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
That's a Moonpie.
View Quote

wagon wheels up here
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

wagon wheels up here
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a Moonpie.

wagon wheels up here

Go home Canada, you're drunk.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:11:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Al did what?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:17:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Choco Pie, tastes great.  Yes, it does.

But......I guess the reporter never saw the S.Korean movie, "J.S.A."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjVoDUDqNWA

Choco Pie (58:18)

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:19:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That's a Rev. Sun Myung Moonpie.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#15]
How about we just bomb the North with MRE's and Banana and Chocolate Moon Pies for desert for 30 days...saturation bombing and then stop...tell them that if they do not kill that retard in charge we will never give them again...
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How about we just bomb the North with MRE's and Banana and Chocolate Moon Pies for desert for 30 days...saturation bombing and then stop...tell them that if they do not kill that retard in charge we will never give them again...
View Quote

Sounds like a good idea. ...

Tons cheaper than a set of cruise missiles. ..

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Choco pies suck and a Moon Pie kicks it in the ass . I purchased a whole box at the local international market . They are not very good . Moon pies win !!!!!!! They are not very expensive and come in a red box .
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Choco pies suck and a Moon Pie kicks it in the ass . I purchased a whole box at the local international market . They are not very good . Moon pies win !!!!!!! They are not very expensive and come in a red box .
View Quote

Ok, ok slightly different but, almost the same.  Me, I've always thought of Choco Pie as a brand of Moon Pie.  I buy this brand.

And yes, there are different fillings and slight variations to be had.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Al did what?

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Al did what?

TRG

I don't know what he did, but I know he was heading east when he did it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/27/world/asia/choco-pie-koreas/

How Choco Pie infiltrated North Korea's sweet tooth

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/140125223953-evc-choco-pie-story-top.png

The first time the South Korean factory owner watched his North Korean employees nibble on a Choco Pie, they appeared shocked -- even overwhelmed.

He summed up their reaction to the South Korean snack in one word: "Ecstasy."

Much like what Twinkies are to Americans, South Korea's Choco Pies -- two disc-shaped, chocolate-covered cakes, sandwiching a rubbery layer of marshmallow cream -- are ubiquitous, cost less than 50 cents and are full of empty calories.

But on the other side of the Korean border, the snacks are viewed as exotic, highly prized treats, selling on North Korea's black markets for as much as $10, according to analysts. Their rising popularity in the north reveals an unexpected common ground between the two Koreas, despite their fractious relationship -- a shared sweet tooth.

We need to saturate the country with leaflets that say "Kill a commie and win a box of Choco Pies"

View Quote

They just might be stupid enough to read it and then kill themselves.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote
MRE's?  That's a great way to win friends and influence people.  I'd say we could do better by dropping Popeye's Fried Chicken instead.  Maybe we could toss in some Moe's Burritos and some really good barbecued ribs for really tough areas.  The place would never be the same.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its safe as long as its not yellow.....
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I herd it the wests.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:16:00 AM EDT
[#24]
One of my employees (a ROK veteran, no less) brings us boxes around Christmas.  Stateside Koreans like 'em, too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

brb, getting coffee
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's a Moonpie.
View Quote

First post and all that.     Have some in my pantry. MMMMMM GOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!    Off to eat one now!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Choco Pie, tastes great.  Yes, it does.

But......I guess the reporter never saw the S.Korean movie, "J.S.A."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjVoDUDqNWA

Choco Pie (58:18)

Aloha, Mark

View Quote

That was a pretty good movie. thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:21:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I grew up eating Choco Pies.  My grandparents always had some and would give them to me and my brother.  I still eat them occasionally.  Heard the Russians liked them too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Heard the Russians liked them too.
View Quote

When S. Korea and Russia started trading after cold war ended it was one of the items Russians bought the most. I've heard rumors that they now have a factory in Russia

Wiki doesn't have the info, but Choco pie is one of items that is used to calculate CPI in Korea. Not sure if they are still used or not, but at one point they were.

and CNN is late by about 10 years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That's a Moonpie.

View Quote
Now if we could smuggle in a shitload of RC Colas we'd take over.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top