Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 1:11:25 AM EDT
Alright people. Its really early and I need to be stoked up a little. What's your favorite Scotch? If any slug says Dewars I'll come unhinged. Frankly, not that I'm a snob or anything remotely close, but if is less than 12 years it really isn't worth drinking. Now I've had some really good 18yr. Glenlivet and a really good 18yr Glenmorangie so if you can direct me to some of your favs I would be deeply in your debt. If you live in the BOISE area I might be inclined to share. Start droppin' names.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Alright people. Its really early and I need to be stoked up a little. What's your favorite Scotch? If any slug says Dewars I'll come unhinged. Frankly, not that I'm a snob or anything remotely close, but if is less than 12 years it really isn't worth drinking. Now I've had some really good 18yr. Glenlivet and a really good 18yr Glenmorangie so if you can direct me to some of your favs I would be deeply in your debt. If you live in the BOISE area I might be inclined to share. Start droppin' names.
View Quote
Glenfarclas 10 is actually better than their 12 imo, of course that does not stop me from drinking 17 and 25 Glenfarclas also.

Another favorite is Bruichladdich, once again start with the ten, I like the "Rocks" and the "Organic" also, these are non peated Islays and are perfect for my palate.

Highland Park 18 if you can get it.

Old Pulteney is really good also, you can taste the Sea in it.

Those are my basic recommendations, of course you can try everything too:

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:38:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Hell man..... I'm speechless, seriously!  That looks like paradise all lined up ready for me to enter the gates. I'm gonna write this all down, that pic definitely made me perk right up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had Highland Park, but it wasn't the 18. Were limited in ID. The stated controls the booze and the selection leaves a lot to be desired. My brother got me a botle of J.Walker Blue. Not a huge fan of the blended but like the old saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth". Neat or do ya cut it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:48:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Glengoyne
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Easily attainable man, just don't tell your wife that many of those bottles are over $100, damn near all of them over $50. Seriously though, when it comes to Scotch older is not really better, just different in one or more ways. Some young scotch like GlenMorangie 10 is not going to get any better with age, it is fine with the youthfull vigor of the myriad flavors and complexity at ten years. Others you may find that age brings out smooth afterglows or a fleeting delicious whiff of something or other which tickles your fancy.

Take Bruichladdich 10, on opening the smells remind me of none other than a new pair of shoes on a Christmas morning, weird that but it tastes fantastic. Jim McEwan is a fantastic producer of spirits. Bruichladdich Rocks is just begging for a couple of ice cubes on a hot day after work, yep ice cubes, love that also.

GlenFarclas: most of their offerings are heavily sherried, and it just works, much better than any others I have tried except maybe the twelve which is like the ten years olds bigger tougher brother, I prefer the ten. The older offerings are just plain great scotches, traditional maltings with dependable results every time.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:01:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Always ask folks if they've used the stones in place of ice.I prefer it cool but not watered down. What's your opinion?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:01:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've had Highland Park, but it wasn't the 18. Were limited in ID. The stated controls the booze and the selection leaves a lot to be desired. My brother got me a botle of J.Walker Blue. Not a huge fan of the blended but like the old saying "never look a gift horse in the mouth". Neat or do ya cut it?
View Quote
Couple of drops maybe, I would never buy the blue, green yes, none of the others interest me.

Highland 12 is ok, no need to spend $150+ for the 18. I have several litres of Highland Park made for the export market I got at auction. That stuff is pretty damn strong. Not as good for the $$ it costs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Have to call you Obiwwace, jedi master of Scotch.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Always ask folks if they've used the stones in place of ice.I prefer it cool but not watered down. What's your opinion?
View Quote
tried the stones, hate them, use cold bottled water or ice if you like, don't worry about the snobs who say you can't put ice in Scotch but they stand their with a glass they just mixed 50-50 with table water. The trick with ice is to let it melt just a bit to bring out the various flavors and nose then drink it before it gets watered down.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:05:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote
DT
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:07:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Have to call you Obiwwace, jedi master of Scotch.
View Quote
not really, watch all of the Ralfystuff videos on youtube that interest you, that will give you ideas

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Got it Thx WW
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:29:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I enjoy The Balvenie 12yr, I have not had any of their others, but am sure they are good as well.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:51:56 AM EDT
[#14]
The guy at the liquor store told me Chivas is top shelf.

I don't even drink scotch, but from what you guys tell me that can't be right.

In his defense, it's just a tiny neighborhood store, and it might be HIS top shelf, he does have Cutty, and JW red/black though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:57:17 AM EDT
[#15]
that's really funny!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:15:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's okay to "water down" your Scotch. What I object to is drinking it at other than room temperature. It changes the taste of your whisky. The flavors and aromatics get messed up when cooled and won't be released. And FWIW I'm not a "snob". But I'm sure anyone who drinks it will agree that temperature affects the taste.

Now, Vodka needs to be stored In the freezer!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I enjoy The Balvenie 12yr, I have not had any of their others, but am sure they are good as well.
View Quote

I tore into some Doublewood last night. Amazing.

Lagavulin 16 is my mainstay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top