Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2014 5:11:27 PM EDT
Goldfinger wants to destroy the gold in Fort Knox to cause an economic crisis.

Description of the plot from Wiki:

Goldfinger hints he doesn't intend to steal the gold, and Bond deduces that Goldfinger will detonate an atomic device containing cobalt and iodine inside the vault, which would supposedly render the gold useless for 58 years. This will increase the value of Goldfinger's own gold and give the Chinese an advantage from the potential economic chaos

My questions:

Would the gold really be useless?  Does it actually have to be traded to be valuable?  Haven't we proven that we could borrow against it for the following 58 years without actually moving it? My understanding is that our gold hasn't moved in all these years.

How does this compare to our current economic mess?  In destroying the dollar by attacking the economic productivity infrastructure and middle class of the country, hasn't the modern day super criminal accomplished what Goldfinger set out to do?

Please discuss.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no gold in Ft Knox.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a James Bond movie...not a gritty spy novel.

If you want realism, read some LeCarre

Speed
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Radioactive gold, would have no buyer, thus be rendered worthless.  as such, is the USD.

However, in 8 more years, the gold will no longer be radioctive, and teh USD will once again be worth something.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Pussy Galore.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pussy Galore.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Didn't she die last year?

Gold is an even better radiation blocker than lead (denser).

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Fort Knox was built to house the 500 tonnes of gold confiscated from US citizens by the federal government. Citizens were "compensated" at $26 an ounce. If you didn't comply, 10 years in prison or $165k fine (in today's dollars). The Fed then set the price of gold at $35 an ounce. All done through FDE executive order. Read Currency Wars by Rickards.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I just finished watching it and all I wanna know is who came up with that god awful music when they're spraying Fort Knox.

Edit to stay on topic: I think in certain circles radioactive golds market share could really take off
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Radioactive gold, would have no buyer, thus be rendered worthless.  as such, is the USD.

However, in 8 more years, the gold will no longer be radioctive, and teh USD will once again be worth something.
View Quote

But 58 years is plenty of time to crash the US economy. Heck, Obummer accomplished it in just a few short years.

..."now Pussy, lets hope you know more about airplanes than guns..."
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
What gold?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But 58 years is plenty of time to crash the US economy. Heck, Obummer accomplished it in just a few short years.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gold in Ft Knox has never left the vault (suposubly) has it not been at least prevailing market value without being removed?  Could the US sell the gold in place and trade against it and guarantee delivery in 58 years?

In other words, must the gold be movable to be valuable?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pussy Galore.

View Quote

Yeah, not sure how OP got sidetracked....
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pussy Galore.

View Quote

My dad named our family car Pussy Galore.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Can gold be made radioactive?  I always assumed it couldn't due to it's density.  Wash it off and business as usual.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can gold be made radioactive?  I always assumed it couldn't due to it's density.  Wash it off and business as usual.
View Quote

Gold has 36 radioisotopes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pussy Galore.

that could be fitting, or ironic, depending on what make and model of car...

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, smartass

Can gold be made radioactive enough it can't be handled safely for an extended period of time.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#21]
The US government would create 38 new departments, sub departments and bureaus to handle decontaminating the gold.

It would create 1.5 million new government jobs, and never actually remove a single isotope.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The gold in Ft Knox has never left the vault (suposubly) has it not been at least prevailing market value without being removed?  Could the US sell the gold in place and trade against it and guarantee delivery in 58 years?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. It's a futures contract with a long term.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The US government would create 38 new departments, sub departments and bureaus to handle decontaminating the gold.

It would create 1.5 million new government jobs, and never actually remove a single isotope.

View Quote

Don't forget the website.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Ok, smartass

Can gold be made radioactive enough it can't be handled safely for an extended period of time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, smartass

What they might have been suggesting is that the gold would be contaminated with cobalt-60, which is extremely radioactive. The half-life of cobalt-60 is 5.3 years, and a rule of thumb is that radionuclides are essentially gone after 10 half-lives. That would be 53 years for cobalt-60, not too far off the fictional version.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

What they might have been suggesting is that the gold would be contaminated with cobalt-60, which is extremely radioactive. The half-life of cobalt-60 is 5.3 years, and a rule of thumb is that radionuclides are essentially gone after 10 half-lives. That would be 53 years for cobalt-60, not too far off the fictional version.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, smartass

Understood, but would the gold actually "absorb" the cobalt-60?

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The world was different in 1964
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, smartass

Not really, but in the context of a big explosion and fire, and the low melting point of gold, that the whole thing would be a huge mess and they would have to wait for the Co-60 to be gone before they could do anything about it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Algore was still getting beat up by my Dad.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What gold?
View Quote

becose this guys stole it
http://youtu.be/oR2s9DAqlq8
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What gold?
View Quote

Ja, was Gold?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Bombard it with neutrons and see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The world was different in 1964
View Quote

The U.S. was on the gold standard in 1964. Effectively a dollar bill was backed by a comparable value in gold bouillon. IIRC the gold standard was discontinued and the floating dollar was instituted in 1973.

In short, x-hundred million of inaccessible currency reserves was a legit super villain target at that time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
They gold there, but it doesn't belong to Uncle Sam. It belongs to various entities that pay Uncle Sam to store it for them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nope, she is still alive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honor Blackman: It's time for me to start slowing down 1/25/2014

How do you condense a career spanning more than 60 years into a two-hour show? Ask Honor Blackman. For the iconic actress, who first shot to stardom in the 1960s, is currently on stage regaling audiences with her life story in a performance entitled Honor Blackman As Herself.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw 007 at thought this was a nostalgic goldeneye n64 thread. So I give you everybody's favorite character, oddjob.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pussy Galore.

View Quote

Alotta Vagina?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/resources/images/2811223.jpg?type=articlePortraithttp://www.whitecovermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Pussy-Galore-in-Goldfinger.jpg

How do you condense a career spanning more than 60 years into a two-hour show? Ask Honor Blackman. For the iconic actress, who first shot to stardom in the 1960s, is currently on stage regaling audiences with her life story in a performance entitled Honor Blackman As Herself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/resources/images/2811223.jpg?type=articlePortraithttp://www.whitecovermag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Pussy-Galore-in-Goldfinger.jpg

Is her new name Old Catchers Mitt Galore?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No. An example would be the Federal Reserve, which just transports it from one compartment to another.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pussy Galore.

i am pretty sure the explanation for this deserves its own thread.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:(suposubly)
View Quote

A guy I worked with used to say that. He also said "irregardless" and thought his KTM was made in Australia.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, smartass

Radioactive gold isotopes range from half lives of 1 micro second to 186 days, so the story line of salting the molten gold with Colbal 60 is the more plausable threat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#43]
The chick that was painted gold was hotter!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Bombard it with neutrons and see what happens.
View Quote

I'm more afraid of morons than neutrons.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Would the gold really be useless?  Does it actually have to be traded to be valuable?
View Quote

Prior to 197, nations could demand and receive settlement in gold in return for the dollars which they held. Without the gold in Ft. Knox, the US could not have redeemed those dollars. The point of the story is that such an event would have upset the international monetary system.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Goldfinger wants to destroy the gold in Fort Knox to cause an economic crisis.

Description of the plot from Wiki:

Goldfinger hints he doesn't intend to steal the gold, and Bond deduces that Goldfinger will detonate an atomic device containing cobalt and iodine inside the vault, which would supposedly render the gold useless for 58 years. This will increase the value of Goldfinger's own gold and give the Chinese an advantage from the potential economic chaos

My questions:

Would the gold really be useless?  Does it actually have to be traded to be valuable?  Haven't we proven that we could borrow against it for the following 58 years without actually moving it? My understanding is that our gold hasn't moved in all these years.

How does this compare to our current economic mess?  In destroying the dollar by attacking the economic productivity infrastructure and middle class of the country, hasn't the modern day super criminal accomplished what Goldfinger set out to do?

Please discuss.
View Quote

Rather than irradiating the gold for 58 years, wouldn't the bomb simply vaporize it and leave a smoking, smoldering crater where the vault used to be?
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The sister of the chick that was painted gold was hotter!
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I saw 007 at thought this was a nostalgic goldeneye n64 thread. So I give you everybody's favorite character, oddjob.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081116151917/goldeneye/images/f/f8/Oddjob.PNG
View Quote

Meh, I thought Random Task was better.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Born: August 22, 1925 (age 88)

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081116151917/goldeneye/images/f/f8/Oddjob.PNG

Random Task is getting loved tenderly in prison now.

ETA:  Joseph Hyungmin Son
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top