Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2014 1:39:25 PM EDT
I'm gonna need to get a new battery for my 06 F150 real soon.  It still has the original battery in it.

I can get an AutoCraft Gold battery at Advance Auto with 850 cold crank amps for around $100.00 plus tax using the online coupon code.

Or the other option is the Optima Red Top battery with 800 cold crank amps for $165.00 plus tax using the online coupon code.

My question is, Is the Optima Battery really that much better of a battery than the Advance Brand or any other brand?

Is it worth the extra $65.00?

Other options?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#2]
No, Optima isn't worth the extra cost. If those are your only two choices, buy the AutoCraft battery.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a big fan of Interstate Batteries.  I have used them in all three of my vehicles for around ten years and I have nothing bad to say about them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a big fan of Interstate Batteries.  I have used them in all three of my vehicles for around ten years and I have nothing bad to say about them.
View Quote

If you have a local distributor, you can save loads by purchasing there instead of a  retailer.
(Have 4 in boat, 2 in lawnmowers, and each vehicle)
Oldest is now 7 and still pushin the amps...........................  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm pretty sure the Optima batteries are now made in Mexico - just riding the brand name, but not worth the extra money.  I put two of the Yellow tops in my '04 F-350, failed in a year...

Motorcraft and DieHard have both worked well for me, and lasted a reasonable period of time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The original Motorcraft battery (made by Johnson Controls) lasted you eight years; how's about another one?

Motorcraft batteries are all I've used in my Fords.  They last between five and six years, I'm alright with that.

I don't feel Optimas are all that unless you're having to mount it in an odd position, and they aren't as good quality-wise as they were several years ago.
View Quote
Our Stock Ford batteries last 8 to 10 years here. The best battery you can get is an AGM type, from Exide or Sears for example.  I would never buy an Optima. They are not any good now that they are made in Mexico. Not that they were any good to begin with.

I use interstate in all my boats for what is worth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you are up to speed on Advances online coupon thing..........the $50 off $100 coupon comes up quite often.    Watch slickdeals.net for the coupon.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The original Motorcraft battery (made by Johnson Controls) lasted you eight years; how's about another one?

Motorcraft batteries are all I've used in my Fords.  They last between five and six years, I'm alright with that.

I don't feel Optimas are all that unless you're having to mount it in an odd position, and they aren't as good quality-wise as they were several years ago.
View Quote

Johnson's also make Duralast, interstate, DieHard, Everstart, etc.

Get the best deal, drop it back in.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I had the original OEM Motorcraft in my 2003 Ranger until 2012.  Just replaced the OEM Motorcraft in my 08 Fusion yesterday.  I replaced them both with new Motorcraft batteries.  And this is in Minnesota, where winter can do a number on car batteries!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not against getting a Motocraft battery.  

The Motocraft is about $30.00 more than the AutoCraft one.

I was just curious about the Optimas, what the big deal was with them.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Enersys Odyssey/Sears Die Hard Platinum blow optima's out of the water.

They are cheaper at sears and the only difference is the color of the plastic.

I've left my headlights on for several hours and came back and started it up.
View Quote

This. I had over 40 Optimas before I started using the Die Hard Platinum. All of the yellow and ret tops went out with the AK. I'm getting 6+ years out of the DHP. And they are a much stronger batt than the Optima. They also have a better warranty that Sears stores in their system. Have a problem inside the 5 years, take it back. If you want cheap, go to Walmart and get a pos battery. If you want the best, get a DHP. I've got 60+ Die Hard Platinums now.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#13]
As has already been said...you have a Sears nearby? Get their platinum.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I just had another Optima Redtop start failing to start the Jeep. Averaged 2.5 years with them. They pass the tests so I can't get them replaced under warranty, but they won't start every week or two once I get to the 2.5 year mark. They used to be great, but not so much anymore. I just put an Autocraft in it Friday. Hopefully it will last longer, but even if it only lasts the same amount of time it's $60 less.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Optima batteries are made in China now, they are absolute crap now. Do yourself a favor and go to Sears and get a Diehard Platinum.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I can tell you this, I left the light on in the 4runner overnight, temps in the low single/negative digits. Fired right up in the morning. Battery is about 3 years old, Advanced Auto AutoCraft Gold.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Motorcraft in the Ford Truck or Duralast Gold in the Toyota Car are what I am using now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top